Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

10 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

To be fair took me a while to find it. I kept looking for a sub forum within the “Football” forum :lol:

Me too.  Wondered why the 'other other games" thread was so quiet at first - I just thought everyone must be bored by it all [emoji38]

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not super sure where to put this since it’s kind of Euros, kind of Copa America, but more just a broad question. 

I’ve found these two tournaments to be pretty boring. I realize that competitions like these have been slowly trending that direction, but my question is: do we think we’re starting to see the tipping point of these players having to play too many matches a season? With all of the added matches in tournaments like the CL/Europa - that they’re adding just to make more TV money - are these players just being run into the ground and now we’re seeing the effects in these major tournaments?

Definitely past the tipping point. The combination of fatigue alongside playing with a totally different set of teammates and system means that it’s a mess. Unless you’re Georgia and just go out and try to play all out attack football. Everyone should just do that 

Never believed steve howeys story but now I've seen this happen then it sounds more plausible

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

One of those situations where both the defender and the keeper are at fault. There’s no need for the keeper to be positioned there and the defender is an imbecile for passing without looking. The defender should take more blame but why is a keeper in the sweeper position after 20 seconds while their team is in control of the ball 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

After knocking out Montreal in the last round, Canadian Premier League team Forge FC have beaten Toronto FC in the 1st leg of the Canadian Cup semi-final.

That is 1 hell of a result.

Matty Longstaff hang your ginger heed in shame.

37 minutes ago, Disco said:

Bruno’s Mags have beaten Derry City 2-0 in the Conference.  

Shocking result, up there with worst result for a LoI team in Europe and it's a competitive field. Shelbourne are ahead against St Josephs now at least.

8 hours ago, Stifler said:

After knocking out Montreal in the last round, Canadian Premier League team Forge FC have beaten Toronto FC in the 1st leg of the Canadian Cup semi-final.

That is 1 hell of a result.

Is David Edgar still on the coaching staff? Toon Legend!

On 11/07/2024 at 20:03, Dandy Man said:

Shocking result, up there with worst result for a LoI team in Europe and it's a competitive field. Shelbourne are ahead against St Josephs now at least.

Calling them a lol team seems harsh.

On 01/07/2024 at 18:52, cubaricho said:

I’m not super sure where to put this since it’s kind of Euros, kind of Copa America, but more just a broad question. 

I’ve found these two tournaments to be pretty boring. I realize that competitions like these have been slowly trending that direction, but my question is: do we think we’re starting to see the tipping point of these players having to play too many matches a season? With all of the added matches in tournaments like the CL/Europa - that they’re adding just to make more TV money - are these players just being run into the ground and now we’re seeing the effects in these major tournaments?

This may be several weeks too late but I completely agree.

It's definitely an element of player fatigue and of trying to shoehorn too many teams into this competition (probably for TV money) at least in Europe, I won't speak for the Copa America.

The grind of qualification, then the group stages, where most of the best players have already played in their leagues, domestic and international cups, friendlies etc just isn't sustainable.

Lip service has been paid to player welfare, but it doesn't translate onto the pitch when there is content to fill and TV money to be earnt. Don't know about the CA, but the Euros felt a bit flat all round to me other than a few standout moments.

Then those exact same players are back for training, friendlies or made up cups within days. I kind of wish they had a month off, ate some ice cream on the beach with their families and then came back ready to bust a gut for competitions that really mattered.