Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

I see someone like Morgan Rogers and what Emery has brought out of him, and I wonder how many other players are, of similar quality but we never get to see it because they're managed by Steve Bruce or Steven Gerrard or some other fucking chancer.

To think Boro fans couldn't believe we gave them 14m for him.

21 minutes ago, brummie said:

I see someone like Morgan Rogers and what Emery has brought out of him, and I wonder how many other players are, of similar quality but we never get to see it because they're managed by Steve Bruce or Steven Gerrard or some other fucking chancer.

To think Boro fans couldn't believe we gave them 14m for him.

Hatem Ben Arfa was as good as Messi.

30 minutes ago, Lordshola said:

Id be surprised if Villa can continue this form all season tbh. December is when it will catch up to them and fatigue/injuries set in.

They’ve got a top, top manager who will figure it out. 

@brummie happy to see Villa doing well and you too being all smiles on here after the dark days you lot were in, similar to us. :)

If you were to take off your Villa tinted glasses off for a moment, do you think your form will continuue? I have no doubts about Emery's quality. But what would you see halting or disrupting the feel good and winning form from here onwards? We were decimated by injuries and morale took a knock after the CL exit last season around December.  Do you have a big enough squad and more importantly, quality throughout that can sustain what you have right now?

Enjoy the ride though buddy. You never know if you'd ever get the chance to live through it again another time. 

Edited by nufcjb

Villa will be fine over Christmas, their issue will be come March time and players being shagged. Form will drop off, like it did last season. 

Just depends where they are points wise, if it’s a position that can be ridden out. 

Put themselves in with a great early chance of finishing top 8 and going into the L16 rather than last 32. In which case, would be a legit chance of making UCL QFs. That money there will help them spend well next season, which is partly one reason which fucked us. We no doubt banked on having UCL 2nd half of season and it showed.

33 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Man I wish Amanda had kept her trap shut in the early days, we'd be sitting with Emery in the dugout instead of Villa. 

The guy we got instead has been pretty fucking good himself like :lol:

It does seem like Villa are miles ahead of us now , yet it was only 18 months ago we finished ahead of them in 4th. They have recruited and sold way better than we have since then and Unai is clearly an elite manager. I would rather they got top 4 than the likes of Spurs , Man United and Chelsea .

Edited by Geogaddi

16 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

It does seem like Villa are miles ahead of us now , yet it was only 18 months ago we finished ahead of them in 4th. They have recruited and sold way better than we have since then and Unai is clearly an elite manager. I would rather they got top 4 than the likes of Spurs , Man United and Chelsea .

Villa recruitment still has some Ls. Spent a lot on LB, and still need to sign a LB. Carlos is a dud. Onana was a sure thing, but it’s big money for what could be a routine CM. Diaby they were fortunate to get money back.

They’ve also signed a number of players that will have little impact.

Inheriting Martinez, Konsa, McGinn and Watkins as the core who have all stepped up under Emery been the key. 

Our core for similar was Dubravka, Schar, Longstaff and Wilson :D 

Replacing/Improving that core in upcoming seasons will be Villas test. Like it’s easy to forget how much Villa spent in their first seasons back up, whilst we were still very tight under Ashley.

32 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

They had the likes of Tim Irregular, Cameron Archer (who they sold twice), Aaron Ramsey & Chukwumeka from the academy who they all sold for decent sums across multiple windows. Don't forget the Grealish sale on top of that. We've sold one player for a decent profit in the last few years. It's clear how key a good academy is these days, but you can't really build it overnight. Said it a few times now, but it's great seeing us bolster the academy with supposedly decent players like Harrison, Sanusi, Hernes & Shahar. We can't really lose as long as we play our cards right.

Meanwhile we stood still this summer, losing a good prospect and bringing in a decent free on top of a young talent who could go either way (not that I want us to but if we sold him now there is no way we'd get our money back)

11 hours ago, brummie said:

Yes, to be fair, it does make beating Bayern Munich much easier.

*wink*

It does in reality. Hardly any jeopardy in the first batch of games. You can loose a few a still qualify comfortably for the second phase.

10 hours ago, Lordshola said:

Id be surprised if Villa can continue this form all season tbh. December is when it will catch up to them and fatigue/injuries set in.

Fucking hope so

Cant stand the bastards. And the jealousy I'm feeling towards them is knocking me sick

Just looked at our first two seasons back, and it’s a prime example of why we’re stagnant with the squad. Of the players remaining:

Murphy £12m - Still here, little resale value

Dubravka £4m - Useless

Schar £3m - Superb, but no resale value

Almiron £21m - Little resale value

Compare that to Villa first two seasons back:

Luiz £15m - Sold this summer for £45m plus players

Konsa £12m - Big value

Mings £20m - Knee injury dented value and sale chance

Martinez £17m - Solid

Cash £14m - Should get money back

Watkins £28m - Big player

Villa were more ambitious when they came back up. And now they’ve got a competent manager, they’re getting dividends as it’s a base to build on. We’re still paying the price for Ashley lean years, but come next summer, we should be in a position where we can start moving forward with a better base. Would say Villa have overtaken us, but it can and should swing next summer if we are ambitious.