Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

Just now, David Edgar said:

They've notably underperformed their XGs.  They're in a bit of a false position relative to us.  They're really fucking good.

False positions don't exist 36 games into a season. There are fine margins that could swing a point or two either way, I'll give you that.

They are a good side, we are a better side and I'm not even confident of us winning.[emoji38]

Brighton are very good when they get going, but its fine margins the way they play. If our press is top notch, they will make mistakes, but do the Villa press and its a freeway to Pope.

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Three weeks of giving yellows and subsequent reds to players talking back to the referee/officials and crowding them and it stops. Never understood why they haven't fixed it.

Can’t remember the ref but i always remember the one being hounded by Man Utd players Keane and Stam yelling in his face he just kept on backing up. Would have loved him to stand his ground and get barged over by them, he could have easily sent off a few of them.

edit google it and was D’urso

Like you said start issuing yellows and it will soon stop. 

91858F1F-CC25-489A-B1C8-B25CDBE40803.jpeg

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Yes but once players realise they will just be injuring each other rather than gaining free kicks they will stop. Refs just need to let it play out for a few months.

No challenge today has been particularly bad.  Mitoma still on the pitch and playing uninjured. Not sure what was up with Martinelli but the Caicedo tackle was harmless.

I don't understand your line of thinking here. So far all that's happening is that challenges are escalating, players aren't thinking they shouldn't go in hard because they'll injure a player, they're going in knowing they're less likely to be punished for it.

That challenge on Mitoma was horrible man :lol: Him staying on doesn't change that. Shearer stayed on after Justin Whittle elbowed him. Martinelli was injured by a bad tackle, but it was clearly in retaliation to him doing Mitoma and the ref letting it go.

What I like about Brighton is their bravery to play through tight lines from the back. Was expecting us to be doing more of this via Botman but he seems to of lost his confidence to do so. Think Targett instead of Burn would help with this. 

Guessing with Bruno being unable to turn so much on his ankle for half the season when receiving it probably hasn’t helped either.

They will give us chances as well as create us problems though. Should be a lively and nervy game Thursday.

17 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

They've notably underperformed their XGs.  They're in a bit of a false position relative to us.  They're really fucking good.

Didn’t we underperform our XG for large portions of the season? 

Brighton are very good but they do have weaknesses.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't understand your line of thinking here. So far all that's happening is that challenges are escalating, players aren't thinking they shouldn't go in hard because they'll injure a player, they're going in knowing they're less likely to be punished for it.

That challenge on Mitoma was horrible man :lol: Him staying on doesn't change that. Shearer stayed on after Justin Whittle elbowed him. Martinelli was injured by a bad tackle, but it was clearly in retaliation to him doing Mitoma and the ref letting it go.

The challenge on Mitoma wasn’t horrible it was just strong. He’s fine. Shearer had a bust face. Totally different. Caicedo hardly touches Martinelli. It’s how he falls that probably caused him the problem. 

Let’s see how the game pans out 2nd half and we can come back to the debate ??

I predict it will simmer out and hopefully a good flowing game of football if he refs it the same way.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Did we underperform our XG for large portions of the season? 

Brighton are very good but they do have weaknesses.

We did in one of our poor streaks, but got back on/above it straight after.  I don't know where we are across the whole season, but I think I am right in saying that Brighton are notably below.

Robbie Earl: "Its a different game to the one against Newcastle, Brighton look to play similar football to Arsenal and they aren't dominating possession like they did against Newcastle"

Clueless...

Screenshot_20230514_173736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3f81d08226d9386624d11e6a0734c321.jpg

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO it doesn’t matter much.  Brighton believe in themselves and will play same way.  

Biggest thing is how we play and adjust our tactics. 

I hadn't looked at the table and just realised the chances of them catching us are minimal. A draw and a few injuries then :aww: