Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

9 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

They have one of the most perfect last set of matches that other teams would give a left nutsack to have. If they give their heads a wobble they could pop spurs Man U or is to a champ league spot

We've won 18 out of 30 games and you think we'll lose 4 of our last 8 with Liverpool winning all 8? 

They might finish above Spurs, but the chances of them finishing above either of us are slim and I would say that Brighton are the bigger threat.

Liverpool getting 4th doesn't need to mean everyone else's form collapses. A lot of teams play each other and some teams just happen to have tough fixtures that you wouldn't automatically expect them to win, whereas every single one of Liverpool's are extremely winnable.

10 hours ago, jack j said:

Liverpool have dished some hammerings out this season in-between them being rank average

I can only surmise that if they get in a comfortable position and the opposition has to commit men forward, they have the talent to take full advantage. If the game is tight or they go behind, they find it difficult to break a defence down.

I think they put a lot of eggs in the basket of Nunez, but it hasn't worked out.

On a related issue, why don't they play Alexander-Arnold further forward? His defending is notoriously suspect, but he's brilliant on the ball.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Liverpool getting 4th doesn't need to mean everyone else's form collapses. A lot of teams play each other and some teams just happen to have tough fixtures that you wouldn't automatically expect them to win, whereas every single one of Liverpool's are extremely winnable.

Liverpool can only catch us or Man United if we do worse in the next 8 games than we've averaged for the previous 30 games. Maybe they don't need a collapse but they need a fall off of some type.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Liverpool can only catch us or Man United if we do worse in the next 8 games than we've averaged for the previous 30 games. Maybe they don't need a collapse but they need a fall off of some type.

No doubt, but it also has to happen somewhere because of the teams that play each other (below). I don't think they'll get anywhere near to Man United but us, Brighton, Spurs, Villa are vulnerable. They themselves could of course lose as well. This set of fixtures is unreal, 8 huge games for everyone.

Newcastle vs Spurs

Newcastle vs Brighton 

Brighton vs Man United 

Spurs vs Man United 

Liverpool vs Spurs

Liverpool vs Villa

Villa vs Spurs

Villa vs Brighton

53 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No doubt, but it also has to happen somewhere because of the teams that play each other (below). I don't think they'll get anywhere near to Man United but us, Brighton, Spurs, Villa are vulnerable. They themselves could of course lose as well. This set of fixtures is unreal, 8 huge games for everyone.

Newcastle vs Spurs

Newcastle vs Brighton 

Brighton vs Man United 

Spurs vs Man United 

Liverpool vs Spurs

Liverpool vs Villa

Villa vs Spurs

Villa vs Brighton

Brighton look really good and played us off the park earlier in the season I'm hoping Spurs drop away altogether 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Nail your colours to the mast, who is getting relegated. I'll go:

Forest

Leeds

Southampton

I was sure it would be Southampton, Forest and Bournemouth but Bournemouth have really impressed me and at the same time Leeds have fallen apart.

Southampton

Forest

Leeds 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Newcastle vs Spurs

Newcastle vs Brighton 

Brighton vs Man United 

Spurs vs Man United 

Liverpool vs Spurs

Liverpool vs Villa

Villa vs Spurs

Villa vs Brighton

In the situation we are in and what we want/need to happen those fixtures are almost perfect for us. If we do our job in our 2 games the other fixtures will take of the rest

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

I can only surmise that if they get in a comfortable position and the opposition has to commit men forward, they have the talent to take full advantage. If the game is tight or they go behind, they find it difficult to break a defence down.

I think they put a lot of eggs in the basket of Nunez, but it hasn't worked out.

On a related issue, why don't they play Alexander-Arnold further forward? His defending is notoriously suspect, but he's brilliant on the ball.

We wont finish fourth. We are way too inconsistent game to game and within games. In the Arsenal game, the Xhaka tackle woke us up and we played brilliantly after that. In the Leeds game, we were not that great in the first 30 minutes till we got a lucky break for the first goal. When we are in the zone, we are capable of blowing teams away as we have shown in spurts this season. But we have not been able to maintain that level and I don't see any reason for that to change. 

Regarding TAA, Klopp has deployed him as a hybrid RB, midfielder in the last two games with Robertson, VVD, and Konate acting as 3 central defenders. Pep developed this tactic earlier this season I believe. Sample size is low but TAA has been very good in this role. Check out most of his positioning in this video against Arsenal.

Irrespective of where we finish this season, I feel confident of us being in the mix for CL qualification next season after some of our performances in the second half of the season. Fix our midfield over the summer, better luck with injuries to key players like Jota and Diaz, and we should be competing for the top four again. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

8 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

We wont finish fourth

Unlikely but I see you as the biggest threat just due to how the fixtures have fell for you. I'm not worried about Spurs (will change if they beat us Sunday of course). Brighton are fantastic but it'll take some effort from them to get the required points given the teams they have left to play. I will applaud them through gritted teeth if they manage it. Similar with Villa, I just don't think they'll maintain their form to really worry NUFC or Spurs.

I know you've been very inconsistent this season but I still think you have the players capable of going on a mad run ala 2021. Given you have experience in hunting I genuinely am concerned that you will at least take it to the final couple of games. We need 14 points to finish above you, that's if you win every game. I'll breathe a lot easier if we beat Spurs on Sunday!

43 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

In the situation we are in and what we want/need to happen those fixtures are almost perfect for us. If we do our job in our 2 games the other fixtures will take of the rest

The key is that we have the margin for error that no one else does.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Newcastle vs Spurs

Newcastle vs Brighton 

Brighton vs Man United 

Spurs vs Man United 

Liverpool vs Spurs

Liverpool vs Villa

Villa vs Spurs

Villa vs Brighton

Beat Spurs - we could get away with losing to Brighton. Man U could lose both and still finish comfortably in the top 4. Liverpool, Villa, Brighton need to win pretty much every one of those games.

We need to just beat Spurs, Everton and Southampton. I think that would mentally have us in a great space and could deflate the morale of any chasing pack. We'd be 6 or 7 clear if we pick up all 3 points.

It kind of reminds me of this time last season. We'd just beaten Wolves to move onto 34 points and more or less guarantee safety. Yet people were still fretting that we would drop off while multiple teams below us would hit form that they hadn't manged all season.

I do think that Brighton and maybe Spurs could beat us to 4th (especially if they win on Sunday), but it's a massive ask for Liverpool or Villa. They'd have to win most, if not all of their remaining games, while everything would have to fall their way elsewhere. While not impossible it's very unlikely. 

Edited by The Prophet

Southampton, Forest and I don't know. Completely going against what nailing colours to the mast means but I genuinely can't call the 3rd team atm. Think we'll know after these next 2 gameweeks.

Leeds: Fulham (a), Leicester (h)

Everton: Palace (a), Newcastle (h)

Leicester: Wolves (h), Leeds (a)

If Everton lose both of their next 2 I think they'll go. They have to go away to Leicester, Wolves and Brighton and their home game after us is Man City. From the start of last season up to today they've managed 3 away wins.

Leicester need to beat Everton at home and pick another 7 points up elsewhere. Can honestly see 33-36 points being enough this season.

Leeds have looked abysmal 2 home games on the bounce but no one of the other teams fighting down there have capitalised on it.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It kind of reminds me of this time last season. We'd just beaten Wolves to move onto 34 points and more or less guarantee safety. Yet people were still fretting that we would drop off while multiple teams below us would hit form that they hadn't manged all season.

I do think that Brighton and maybe Spurs could beat us to 4th (especially if they win on Sunday), but it's a massive ask for Liverpool or Villa. They'd have to win most, if not all of their remaining games, while everything would have to fall their way elsewhere. While not impossible it's very unlikely. 

Teams in and around the CL places do have and have had form and quality to lean on. TBH I think I've just got whiplash from going from one to the other in the space of a year. Can't even imagine what it must have been like for Leicester fans in 2016.