Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It drives me a bit mad with just how fucking stupid ‘xG’ is.  Completely pointless and a qualitative not quantitative stat

I think it just helps to tell a story of how matches have been played and can be very useful when used properly. I'd agree that using it in isolation can be very misleading but football stats have been developed hugely over the years and when you combine several important ones you can start to infer relationships and correlations that help to explain what's happening in a broader context :thup:

Also, Inter look fucking mustard

4 minutes ago, midds said:

I think it just helps to tell a story of how matches have been played and can be very useful when used properly. I'd agree that using it in isolation can be very misleading but football stats have been developed hugely over the years and when you combine several important ones you can start to infer relationships and correlations that help to explain what's happening in a broader context :thup:

Also, Inter look fucking mustard

Yeah, fair enough.  I think what drives me crackers is it being used in isolation, with you on that

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Robotwars losing his shit commentating on Chelsea :lol: such a cantankerous old bastard.

:lol: was amusing. Enjoyed his very forthright "even if it is a pen the game is being ruined." 

Mad that the late penalty incident ends up vindicating its existence.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: was amusing. Enjoyed his very forthright "even if it is a pen the game is being ruined." 

Mad that the late penalty incident ends up vindicating its existence.

It’s all he’s good for these days tbf. I wouldn’t want anyone else on the mike during a VAR horror show. Hopefully there’s one at the Euros assuming he’ll be there.

I mean it was never a penalty for Chelsea and another poor VAR. But in one breath he says "the games being ruined" and then when the handball gets given, he's crying that it has to be reviewed. 

Which one is it Pearce? Do u want var or not??

13 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Literally one game ago it was Spurs 1 (2.34) Aston Villa 2 (1.86). You do you though.

FYI

@geordie_b. :lol:

that game finishing 1-2 is a bit different than (2.91-0.43) finishing 3-3. Also you are overperforming your xpts by a lot https://understat.com/league/EPL/2023 

Mind, I like the way you play and Ange seems like a great fit. There is definitely a chance that you will improve and increase your xpts pr. game, but you also need to if you want to stay in contention for the CL spots.

2 hours ago, NoU said:

that game finishing 1-2 is a bit different than (2.91-0.43) finishing 3-3. Also you are overperforming your xpts by a lot https://understat.com/league/EPL/2023 

Mind, I like the way you play and Ange seems like a great fit. There is definitely a chance that you will improve and increase your xpts pr. game, but you also need to if you want to stay in contention for the CL spots.

Yeah I was just busting your balls :lol:

This season was supposed to be transitional - everything else is gravy.

Scotland vs England in the women's Nations League tonight. Olympic place on the line for the group winner - England were nominated for Team GB and would have to win and have a better goal difference than Netherlands, if they were to beat Belgium as well. 

About 90% of the potential GB Olympic squad would be English, but if there are 2 or 3 talented Scots then they can effectively cost themselves a chance of going to the Olympics by picking up a result, so it's a bizarre huge conflict of interest. 

14 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Scotland vs England in the women's Nations League tonight. Olympic place on the line for the group winner - England were nominated for Team GB and would have to win and have a better goal difference than Netherlands, if they were to beat Belgium as well. 

About 90% of the potential GB Olympic squad would be English, but if there are 2 or 3 talented Scots then they can effectively cost themselves a chance of going to the Olympics by picking up a result, so it's a bizarre huge conflict of interest. 

Love that the media are trying to hype up this narrative! Th Scottish players are absoluley raging about it!

I reckon only 1, maybe 2  would make the squad, but outside of the USA, the Olympics is not regarded as that big of a deal in women's football anyway!