Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Feel sorry for Notts County. They're probably going to smash through 100 points and still only finish 2nd.

Yep, no longer in their hands after that home defeat the other day. Mind, Wrexham did finish 2nd last season and could have still gone up on the final day, and then blew the playoffs, so guess it's nice from their perspective if they make it this time.

Should really be 3 up and 3 down in that league, although it was just one up one down for ages, making it even harder.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

Yep, no longer in their hands after that home defeat the other day. Mind, Wrexham did finish 2nd last season and could have still gone up on the final day, and then blew the playoffs, so guess it's nice from their perspective if they make it this time.

Should really be 3 up and 3 down in that league, although it was just one up one down for ages, making it even harder.

I honestly liked the idea the EFL had a few years ago. They were going to add another league, make all their leagues 20 teams each, the lowest 2 leagues would be North and South leagues. Ultimately it would have meant 8 clubs from the National League would have been promoted. I think they wanted to increase the the amount of promoted/relegated teams from the National league as well.

Leicester out.

I think, given some of their better players, and their recent pedigree, they were one of the biggest threat to the obvious three (and Brighton), so probably a boost for our European ambitions.

Watched from about 60 minutes and it was a decent match.

The conference looks sloppy to me with all the play-offs (though I despiee play-offs and the concept generally admittedly) compared to one up, or even two.

However time was when teams in that division weren't ready for pro football, some (Kidderminster was it?) were blocked from promotion because their grounds weren't up to it and getting the players to switch to pro contracts - that's not the case now, so why not I guess.

Edited by Wolfcastle

20 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I've thought for a couple of years it should be League 3. Almost all clubs are professional at that level now anyway. Go 3 up, 3 down with a Play-Off system like the rest of the EFL. 

32 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Leicester out.

I think, given some of their better players, and their recent pedigree, they were one of the biggest threat to the obvious three (and Brighton), so probably a boost for our European ambitions.

Watched from about 60 minutes and it was a decent match.

We're now a poor threat with Tielemans out injured for the foreseeable, and Maddison struggling to regain fitness. You saw the best of the game from a Leicester perspective - we were dire in the first half and could have been five down. A better side when Iheanacho is played, none of the fan base can work out why Brendan Rodgers dislikes starting him, or why he persists with certain players. Blackburn deserved to win on the night, but we were lousy until the last half hour, so I can't see them progressing much further. Cup games hey?  

Watching the Southampton Grimsby game and it's been a good game, Southampton have had the better chances but really poor in front of goal, blatant handball for the pen, can't argue. Grimsby have pressed well and defended well from the front and back in numbers when they've needed to. Hard to see Southampton scoring here unless Grimsby tire out.

They've not been amazing here, but Man Utd have made 6 outfield changes from the cup final against West Ham and they can still field a reasonably competitive team with full internationals, some costing circa £100m. If we make 6 outfield changes then we're starting the likes of Lascelles, Murphy and Ritchie. Even Dalot (one of the 4 who started) only played 45 mins against us, to be replaced by a £50m man. Just shows the lack of squad depth we have - we basically only have a squad of 14/15 competent players and three of those (Maxi, Isak, Targett) have missed significant portions of the season.

Hopefully within the next 3 windows (2 of them summer ones) we'll keep adding quality and have much more of a squad. It is easy to forget that 16 months ago we were bottom of the league, without a win, and managed by Steve Bruce. Still a long way away from the established clubs, but we've come very far in such a short period.