Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, I grew up with it here, from the late 70s. Choosing my words carefully…I think you’re wrong. For a lot of reasons - but firstly, it’s very much not just about what happens in the ground, and even on the day. 

We all live together, intermingled, from day one. My school was 35% Spurs, 35% Arsenal, 25% glory-hunting cunts (Liverpool) and 5% other. At the time probably more Spurs but over time it probably changed. I don’t know where you grew up but if it was in or around Newcastle I’m guessing it wasn’t quite the same.

That leads to two things. One, we each have a little bit more understanding of the other. We basically live the same lives, families are mixed etc. But also two - it’s every fucking day. At school, at work, at play etc etc. Familiarity truly does breed contempt.

When I was a kid it was truly, truly nasty - in the ground, around the ground, everywhere. We’ve all seen a lot of people priced out of the game since Hillsborough…but we’re all still here. Just not necessarily sitting in a plastic seat singing “Guantanamera”.

It’s nasty and spicy. And the closer we are in standard the nastier and spicier it will get. You just might not see it on the Sky cameras.

Only read the first paragraph so fair play if I’ve got it massively wrong. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Bournemouth beating Brighton 

There is obviously every chance they turn it around, but I get the feeling Brighton are the sort of team that are more likely to lose against bottom 6 then they are top 6 for whatever reason. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Ange getting a lot of credit so far as a manager. But you can’t leave Saka 1v1 against a fullback that is not elite defensive.  He is inevitable. 

They had the easiest start iirc, the wankfest should have held up until they played someone of equal stature. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

There is obviously every chance they turn it around, but I get the feeling Brighton are the sort of team that are more likely to lose against bottom 6 then they are top 6 for whatever reason. 

They struggle when teams sit deep and break with pace. No idea why we didn't adopt that approach when we went down there at the start of the month. West Ham, Everton and AEK Athens all showed that that's how to play them down there.