Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

7 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Should have had it won early doors.

Romero got sucked in again. Udogie will learn.

We play the way we want. Fans were immense. Vicario was incredible. Those who stayed on the pitch were terrific.

Ange has said before that once they’re on the pitch it’s up to the players to work it out.

General feeling is really positive. Sucks that we’ll be missing so many key players for a bit, but it feels like we’ve played most of the types of games it’s possible to play in our first 11. Spirit counts for an awful lot, as you know.

Romero has to change. He has been lucky few times already, and trying to act like a tough guy just don't work. 

8 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Should have had it won early doors.

Romero got sucked in again. Udogie will learn.

We play the way we want. Fans were immense. Vicario was incredible. Those who stayed on the pitch were terrific.

Ange has said before that once they’re on the pitch it’s up to the players to work it out.

General feeling is really positive. Sucks that we’ll be missing so many key players for a bit, but it feels like we’ve played most of the types of games it’s possible to play in our first 11. Spirit counts for an awful lot, as you know.

That's interesting, because I haven't seen him shout many instructions from the touchline, like managers tend to do. I've often wondered whether that behaviour is more to do with the manager's anxiety rather than any great help to the players. What Ange might lose in terms of individual coaching, he might gain in terms of giving his players some confidence, and not distracting them.

Staying positive with 9 men was impressive, and you could have easily come away with something. I did wonder though whether a more together side than Chelsea would have closed the game out a bit sooner, with that high line. Sterling messed up a few situations, Mudryk looked a bag of nerves, and there was generally a lack of leadership. They look like a side that's only just been put together, despite their individual talents.

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Brilliant, tbf

Understand the media love in for this guy and don't get why people are against it.

Enjoying having a positive and likeable manager is completely understandable from a Spurs perspective, when they have had a series of bellends in recent years. 

58 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Brilliant, tbf

I actually really like that interview, interviewer trying to get a sound bite and must have asked him three times about his opinions on Red.  Loved the "it's just who we are" line as well.

7 hours ago, Stottie said:

Spurs got 10 points from games 11 to 20 last season, starting with us beating them at their place.

They're starting it this time with more points but with suspensions, injuries, and harder fixtures.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/11/premier-league-fixture-difficulty-every-team-ranked/

Love that we're now a darker shade of red on these types of things :)

Not deliberately trying to jump on the Ange bandwagon but I did love his soundbites on reffing from last night. This is what I keep prattling on about when it comes to the impact of VAR; that, while it has its benefits in theory and sometimes in practice, since its introduction the whole landscape of officiating is more toxic than ever, with ever-increasing amounts of scrutiny, debate and anxiety. I can't believe refs prefer the job to how it was before. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water but currently it's implementation is too pervading and it needs to be reduced.

A big problem with the way in which VAR is being assessed is that the views of players and ex-players (ie pundits and managers) are getting too much attention. If they do understand the principle of a 'clear and obvious error', they often seem to forget it when they start piping up. And so many decisions are a matter of opinion.

Thinking about it, a lot of pundits not only don't seem to have experience of refereeing, their grasp of the rules seems quite shaky.

The skill-set required for a ref is different from that of a player. The idea that things would be improved if more ex-professional players became refs is fanciful. Becoming a top-class ref entails a long apprenticeship and involves a mindset that is quite different from the fiery competitor. 

There are some honourable exceptions here, notably our guy and Postecoglou, and I know that managers are under pressure, but really they should button it more. In the long run, I don't think they're doing their teams any good  - it ends up as a distraction and a downer.

Edited by Cronky

"They obviously had a good look at it and they've given it, so we gotta accept it"

So refreshing to hear after the disgraceful spectacle from arteta and arsenal. Really hope they get punished severely, because they have an agenda with pressuring the officials like that.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Not deliberately trying to jump on the Ange bandwagon but I did love his soundbites on reffing from last night. This is what I keep prattling on about when it comes to the impact of VAR; that, while it has its benefits in theory and sometimes in practice, since its introduction the whole landscape of officiating is more toxic than ever, with ever-increasing amounts of scrutiny, debate and anxiety. I can't believe refs prefer the job to what was before. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water but currently it's implementation is too pervading and it needs to be reduced.

I've thought about it far more than I should tbh, with my ultimate solution being a VAR hub that is responsible for the top leagues but I'll not bore everyone with all of my autistic nonsense atm :lol:

One thing that has been said since VAR's inception though, is that VAR would be much better without the ability to forensically investigate everything.

Give them two views (45° 'broadcast' view from either side of the pitch), no zooming in past a certain point and no slowing down or pausing, and it can only be looked at 4 times. Or whatever restrictions are deemed to be fair.

Havertz' challenge is just about acceptable as an 'orange card' in real time, slowing it down from one angle though it's an objective red. VAR missed it though as they never used the tools they're expected to use properly, which realistically they cannot do all of the time with pressure to restart play.

6 hours ago, NoU said:

"They obviously had a good look at it and they've given it, so we gotta accept it"

So refreshing to hear after the disgraceful spectacle from arteta and arsenal. Really hope they get punished severely, because they have an agenda with pressuring the officials like that.

Didn't Ange get booked last night for mouthing off at the ref though?

He reminds me of Klopp when he first came over. Saying all the right things, "refreshing", but the mask will slip.