Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Anything but non-incident, fucking shocking by the lino and especially the ref who has done UCL and World Cup finals. 

Think it was the same ref who gave the Tino handball when we were away to PSG. 

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Thought he’s been very quiet both games against Man City and Bayern Munich. Picking up a bad habit of diving also. Great future ahead though.

Glad you said that, actually. I wondered whether a little bit too much arrogance had entered his play. He seemed a bit casual and laid back.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Bellingham is a good player and he's obviously still very young but him being up there as the potential (likely?) Ballon D'or winner just makes me think football has fallen off a cliff in terms of individuals to be honest. Great mentality, immaculately coached, great output in terms of stats, and comes up clutch at key moments - but I can't say I've ever been particularly excited to sit down and watch him play.

We're in that post Messi-era now where the best players out there will just be world class.

Know what you mean though, it feels like there aren't any skill/dribblers out there at the moment.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We're in that post Messi-era now where the best players out there will just be world class.

Know what you mean though, it feels like there aren't any skill/dribblers out there at the moment.

Messi is the kind of obvious comparison - Bellingham might be scoring robotically at 1 in 2 but it's hardly like watching Messi running up and down the wing at Stamford Bridge getting lumps kicked out of him at 19. Like you say maybe an unfair comparison - but I do feel like off the cuff dribblers are completely gone now.

Bellingham is like the prototype modern footballer in terms of what modern tactics and physical expectations elevates to the top. Even find how well media trained he is a bit annoying to be honest :lol:

Edited by ponsaelius

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get your point. But there were 2 excellent skill/dribblers tonight. 

If Real win it Vini Jr. has a good chance of winning it and he’s fitting.  And the Copa and Euros will bring forward candidates. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Messi is the kind of obvious comparison - Bellingham might be scoring robotically at 1 in 2 but it's hardly like watching Messi running up and down the wing at Stamford Bridge getting lumps kicked out of him at 19. Like you say maybe an unfair comparison - but I do feel like off the cuff dribblers are completely gone now.

Bellingham is like the prototype modern footballer in terms of what modern tactics and physical expectations elevates to the top. Even find how well media trained he is a bit annoying to be honest :lol:

Aye there's something a bit 'young entrepreneur' about him that I find a bit unsettling. :lol:

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I get your point. But there were 2 excellent skill/dribblers tonight. 

If Real win it Vini Jr. has a good chance of winning it and he’s fitting.  And the Copa and Euros will bring forward candidates. 

Maybe within the context of this era, but the era itself is lacking a Hazard nevermind a Ronaldinho.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye there's something a bit 'young entrepreneur' about him that I find a bit unsettling. :lol:

Aye if he wasn't a footballer he'd be on Dragons Den asking for £100k for a 1% stake in his Peak Performance Mindset app, receiving 5 different offers.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Aye if he wasn't a footballer he'd be on Dragons Den asking for £100k for a 1% stake in his Peak Performance Mindset app, receiving 5 different offers.

While advertising Huel on a YouTube channel.

Musiala will be a brilliant player - effortlessly carries the ball.

I like Vini - just because he's so fucking relentless.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The lad with the un-pronouncable name at Napoli was a brilliant dribbler last year, not sure what happened to them this year

58 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

That goal for Bayern at the end doesn't seem too dissimilar to that Shelvey goal down at Sheffield United where we played on and scored despite the flag going up. I don't really understand where VAR can and can't get involved on situations like that.

Pretty sure that was during the first VAR season, and the rules has changed since then.

Back then, the linesman would raise his flag but play would go on and then the ref would pull it back. Nowadays, the linesman should keep his flag down if it's a close call and then raise it. Don't know why he raised it straight away tonight. 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Pretty sure that was during the first VAR season, and the rules has changed since then.

Back then, the linesman would raise his flag but play would go on and then the ref would pull it back. Nowadays, the linesman should keep his flag down if it's a close call and then raise it. Don't know why he raised it straight away tonight. 

No it’s down to the ref still

the linesman should show it after the move finishes though

12 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Perhaps not, but a Messi only comes along once every 20 years or so. 

Another one will appear, but this old git may not be around to see them!

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Commenter just said this is the first time in 28 years a Greek side has got this far in Europe 🫨

There's no way we're getting away with this one. Everything that could go wrong in the first leg, did. 

We are just too depleted and tired.

4 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Commenter just said this is the first time in 28 years a Greek side has got this far in Europe 🫨

I remember watching that match. Must have just been 8, but Ajax vs Panathinaikos in 1996. George Finidi (or Finidi George) vs George Donis.