Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

3 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

XG isjust another stat to add context, like every other stat :lol: Maybe people hate it because it's talked about way more than other advanced metrics, but that doesn't mean it can't be valuable to understand a match by stats

this is an area where I know I’m an old cunt.

why would you want to understand a match by stats? Surely it’s entertainment that you live in the moment and the eye test is all you need for whether something is deserved or not?

as I say, I know I’m basically a dinosaur when it comes to appreciating the general use of stats at this level in football. Surely shots on or off target is enough?

4 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

XG isjust another stat to add context, like every other stat :lol: Maybe people hate it because it's talked about way more than other advanced metrics, but that doesn't mean it can't be valuable to understand a match by stats

I'm too weak mentally to start mentioning expected threat here, maybe in the future. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

why would you want to understand a match by stats? Surely it’s entertainment that you live in the moment and the eye test is all you need for whether something is deserved or not?

as I say, I know I’m basically a dinosaur when it comes to appreciating the general use of stats at this level in football. Surely shots on or off target is enough?

What if you didn't watch the match and want to have some context on the result? The 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace was a perfect example, looks poor but we were really fucking good at everything bar finishing.

Shots on or off is such a simple stat, Rashford could have 25 of those shots where he scored from to be as likely to score as that one miss from Haaland in the first half. Then you see those 25 shots to 1 in the stats and think Man United have been fucking amazing.

Edited by Pata

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I think any normal person would agree that's not the best way to watch or understand football. It's just another layer to add onto your understanding.

I don't usually even look at xG tbh, but i don't think having more metrics to understand trends is a bad thing

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

He's firing a bow and arrow like a gun though. Pulls the bow back and then pulls a trigger. Nonsense.

I absolutely hate it.

George Graham’s Arsenal won fuckloads of silverware with a negative xG

They actually scored more goals than they created chances 

Bet that melts the statto’s brains 

Edited by bobbydazzla
I made it up