Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 hours ago, MagMal said:

Come on the tractor boys, I really hope they get the point they need.

Calling it now, our first game of next season will be Leicester away.

94-95. Pav sent off and replaced by Hooper. We win 3-1. Was the Sky Sunday game. Great times.

No memory of that at all. Mad how little memory I have of the 94-95 season, never fails to surprise me. 

Do remember Cole scoring a beauty at home to Ipswich though, the absolute archetypal Cole finish.

Used to watch that Beardsley goal on repeat on the season review video. Very visually pleasing. Harsh penalty though!

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A very meh season (in context) sandwiched between arguably our 2 best seasons of the last 5 decades. 

That’ll be it like but just weird given how many games I went too and how into the club/game I was then as a young un which usually loom a little larger. Yet still odd games from that season (Swansea in the cup for example) are seared on the mind.

7 hours ago, Paullow said:

Another stoppage here, so could easily go to the 104th minute.

Most neutrals will want Ipswich up I would have thought, 'dirty Leeds' and all that, but for a team like Coventry who got to the playoff final last year, and the FA Cup semi final this year, and will look to push on further next season, it will generally be better for them if a parachute team like Leeds were out of the mix next season.

I think Leeds will win the playoffs. I could see Ipswich losing them, especially if they played Norwich in them.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

I think Leeds will win the playoffs. I could see Ipswich losing them, especially if they played Norwich in them.

Yeah, I think similar, but in that scenario Southampton would be guaranteed to stay down another season, whereas if Leeds got top 2, there would be a great chance that all 3 parachute teams who got relegated last season would come straight back up.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

A very meh season (in context) sandwiched between arguably our 2 best seasons of the last 5 decades. 

A lot of similarities with this season. A fantastic start that turned into a middling season with some truly great moments, a few great European nights, injuries, and us relying on individual talent to get us over the finish line with a team otherwise knackered.

Hopefully 24/25 follows the pattern.

Still a great season considering what we have been used to before the takeover..

We would be very relegated by now with all the injuries pre eddie.

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

A lot of similarities with this season. A fantastic start that turned into a middling season with some truly great moments, a few great European nights, injuries, and us relying on individual talent to get us over the finish line with a team otherwise knackered.

That PSG game at home still gives me shivers. Has to be up there as the best atmosphere in the ground, city and among fans in near decades.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, joeyt said:

How good was Steve McManaman as a player?

He was at Real Madrid during the Galacticos era but you rarely see his name mentioned in best England players. Too young to have seen him play

Very good player from memory. 

Remember him being a big game player for Real.  Being a key player in those 2 CL winning campaigns.  

He didn’t have the longevity and probably not as good but perhaps ADM-esque for Real? A top player but one that really facilitated the bigger players - a creator.

As far as British pundits as players.  Way better than Murphy, Redknapp, Jenas etc. more ability than Hargreaves. Better than Merson.  Come to think of it - you rarely get attacking midfielders as pundits. Can only think of Merson and LeTiss

Edited by The College Dropout

26 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Still a great season considering what we have been used to before the takeover..

We would be very relegated by now with all the injuries pre eddie.

If I wasn't lazy and had a time machine, I'd go back and do my thesis on the Fickle Nature of Football Fans. 

Still think it's been underplayed what an achievement that is for McKenna and Ipswich 

Especially with the squad he's got and the calibre of other teams in the division

Definitely a very impressive job although possibly slightly overplayed in terms of the financial perspective. What they're paying Kieffer Moore must be up there as one of the highest paid forwards in the league. They have rich owners and have been able to leverage that to their advantage in January - to sustain the momentum that that they've built.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Definitely a very impressive job although possibly slightly overplayed in terms of the financial perspective. What they're paying Kieffer Moore must be up there as one of the highest paid forwards in the league. They have rich owners and have been able to leverage that to their advantage in January - to sustain the momentum that that they've built.

Kieffer Moore is the only anomaly though, most of the squad he's using were in League 1 with him. 

Compare that to Leeds and Southampton who still have Prem players playing for them, I think he's done amazing to keep that momentum going

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Very good player from memory. 

Remember him being a big game player for Real.  Being a key player in those 2 CL winning campaigns.  

He didn’t have the longevity and probably not as good but perhaps ADM-esque for Real? A top player but one that really facilitated the bigger players - a creator.

As far as British pundits as players.  Way better than Murphy, Redknapp, Jenas etc. more ability than Hargreaves. Better than Merson.  Come to think of it - you rarely get attacking midfielders as pundits. Can only think of Merson and LeTiss

As a pundit or player? Don't agree as a player - Merson was top draw in a good Arsenal team...

I was lucky enough to play against both (McManaman was a lot younger) and Merson was streets ahead at the time, the late David Rocastle played that match too unreal talent... needless to say we got battered! 

6 minutes ago, Monters said:

As a pundit or player? Don't agree as a player - Merson was top draw in a good Arsenal team...

I was lucky enough to play against both (McManaman was a lot younger) and Merson was streets ahead at the time, the late David Rocastle played that match too unreal talent... needless to say we got battered! 

Who did you play for? 

Must have been a really good standard

45 minutes ago, Monters said:

Ooooh when did you play them?

Happy to be corrected. Merson's peak would be slightly before my time. Earliest memories have McManaman being one of the best players in the PL in the late 90's before going to Real. He always seemed to torment us and Man U on Sky. And then seeing him play really well in CL KO rounds. 

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ooooh when did you play them?

Happy to be corrected. Merson's peak would be slightly before my time. Earliest memories have McManaman being one of the best players in the PL in the late 90's before going to Real. He always seemed to torment us and Man U on Sky. And then seeing him play really well in CL KO rounds. 

Many, many years ago hahaha... I was an apprentice \ young pro at Millwall (89 - 92), we lost to Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup with McManaman and possibly Fowler in the team... and played reserve team against all the London clubs and most of the south east clubs... Merson at the time was just universally revered in that area but that Arsenal squad were known as mega drinkers, we played against them when Tony Adams was first released from jail for drink driving and both grounds (Highbury and The Den) were packed... Malcolm Allen pre Newcastle elbowed Adams early in the first game so the comeback was curtailed on 10 mins or so!

I totally agree re McManaman's time in Spain thought he was awesome for Real in some huge games and should have been in the England team more 

16 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

He looks like Trossards older brother.

I couldn't put my finger on it but you're right :yao:

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Your pal Alec Baldwin would have somat to say about being hopeful of finishing 2nd.

14 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

94-95. Pav sent off and replaced by Hooper. We win 3-1. Was the Sky Sunday game. Great times.

Didn't Beardsley got his cheekbone shattered in that game too?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Monters said:

Many, many years ago hahaha... I was an apprentice \ young pro at Millwall (89 - 92), we lost to Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup with McManaman and possibly Fowler in the team... and played reserve team against all the London clubs and most of the south east clubs... Merson at the time was just universally revered in that area but that Arsenal squad were known as mega drinkers, we played against them when Tony Adams was first released from jail for drink driving and both grounds (Highbury and The Den) were packed... Malcolm Allen pre Newcastle elbowed Adams early in the first game so the comeback was curtailed on 10 mins or so!

I totally agree re McManaman's time in Spain thought he was awesome for Real in some huge games and should have been in the England team more 

Wow - what a time. Why do you think you didn't make it? If you don't mind me asking

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Didn't Beardsley got his cheekbone shattered in that game too?

Sure Ruddock did him in pre-season? Definitely very early on in the season

4 minutes ago, midds said:

Sure Ruddock did him in pre-season? Definitely very early on in the season

Just watched the game's video posted a few post above. Beardsley did get his cheekbone shattered in that game.and the Ruddock pre-season one happened a year before in a testimonial at Anfield as mentioned by Marti Tyler on commentary