Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

For sure decency bias is playing a role here but time and again teams do get "found out" and start to struggle. Top teams and managers adapt to this, it's much too early to see if Postecoglu can do this but I do feel Spurs recent form has highlighted the need for this.

I hear ya, when they came to us I was laughing because to try and play that way against us at our home felt absolutely mental to me. 

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Ange pure hates VAR, so for that reason alone he's definitely in my good book. Seems to be incredibly naive as a manager, that game against Chelsea when they went down to 9 was one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever seen :lol:

What’s this about?! He brought five off and only three on via flash scores?!

I was flicking between this, the Darts and Villa so missed this! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nobody said:

Ange pure hates VAR, so for that reason alone he's definitely in my good book. Seems to be incredibly naive as a manager, that game against Chelsea when they went down to 9 was one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever seen :lol:

Seems to only have 1 plan and that doesn't include defending set-pieces.

IMO Spursey is a mindset. A mental vulnerability. That also comes with a lack of quality in-depth and a football culture. They pay by far the lowest wages of the top 6 iirc. Bale, Modric, Walker, Trippier etc. go on to better teams and become serial winners. It's just Spurs are ultimately a bit short of quality and then mentality.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Aye we haven't been obliterated with injuries at all. :lol:

You've just been a bit lucky in-game. 

Edited by The College Dropout

Actually like Anje too, been refreshing seeing a manager being a bit more open and honest. Not been great form since he was manager of the year mind. Since October they have won less away games in the league than us which is canny bad if what my boss says is true.

13 hours ago, Erikse said:

So you think that playing 10-20% more football each game doesn't impact the amount of injuries that happen in the PL? Haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure this seasons amount of injuries is quite high compared to earlier season in the PL.

Nope because I don’t think it’s anywhere near 20% so the extra 10% is just standing around arguing with refs and waiting around on VAR calls.

I do think players not having full summers off isn’t helping as I’m not going to argue that they play too many matches each year. Just disagree the actual games are intense for 10-20% more and like I’ve said you can sub half an outfield team each game nowadays.

Maybe it’s the long VAR delays and stop start nature of the games not helping 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Nope because I don’t think it’s anywhere near 20% so the extra 10% is just standing around arguing with refs and waiting around on VAR calls.

I do think players not having full summers off isn’t helping as I’m not going to argue that they play too many matches each year. Just disagree the actual games are intense for 10-20% more and like I’ve said you can sub half an outfield team each game nowadays.

Maybe it’s the long VAR delays and stop start nature of the games not helping 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3978045

41e6db72fb9a2725f8522fc4c0106acf.thumb.png.3b65f4a9cb926664095d44794bdb89c9.png

Okay, looking at this, saying more than 15% may have been a bit much, but there was VAR last season aswell, and the seasons before that. You also have to consider that the last 5 minutes will be the toughest on the players, as demonstrated in terms of the amount of stoppage time goals and the % of goals scored in stoppage time.

7d7a9ba9453e617f3c1f21635633c9bf.thumb.png.f92c9cb0c78ddde9a6cfbdc00384317f.png

"But as legs tire in the second half, and as the tension rises when that board goes up, teams are actually more likely to score and concede in added time compared with regulation time."

Edit:

I actually found the real numbers for ball in play

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/03/numbers-behind-premier-league-goal-explosion/

match-time-graphic-1024x1024(1).thumb.png.d9231f0b5d67e208250b216bf05a9644.png

So, that means 6,5% more football being played every game on average. Lower than I thought, but still noticeable.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

Actually like Anje too, been refreshing seeing a manager being a bit more open and honest. Not been great form since he was manager of the year mind. Since October they have won less away games in the league than us which is canny bad if what my boss says is true.

Comes across a bit like Keegan to me which isn't a bad thing. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LFEE said:

Exactly, players are getting far more rests in games nowadays than previously because of the subs and VAR checks etc.

Also there's more subs so the tired at end of games wears thin as well.  You can change 1/2 your outfield side.

It's the amount of games in the calendar that's the issue with restrictions on squad sizes.

Edited by El Prontonise