Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

20 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye that's the worry though. :lol:

I think us doing so well has meant they're slipping under the radar. Only takes us having a little 3-4 game blip and a few sides have caught us.

You desperately need a username change these days :lol:

In my view those penalties should never be given (unless the tackle is judged to be reckless or dangerous). He's kicked the ball so there's nothing he or anyone else can do to stop it going for a goal kick. Therefore he hasn't been impeded by the tackle.

Happens time and time again, and I completely disagree with it. And yet their argument for not giving that foul on Fraser by the keeper last year was that the opposing player had the ball! He was far more able to influence play than someone who kicks the ball out.

There are far too many soft as shite penalties. Puts me off the sport tbh, to some extent. I think the powers that be like lots of penalties because they think it adds to the entertainment.

7 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

In my view those penalties should never be given (unless the tackle is judged to be reckless or dangerous). He's kicked the ball so there's nothing he or anyone else can do to stop it going for a goal kick. Therefore he hasn't been impeded by the tackle.

Happens time and time again, and I completely disagree with it. And yet their argument for not giving that foul on Fraser by the keeper last year was that the opposing player had the ball! He was far more able to influence play than someone who kicks the ball out.

There are far too many soft as shite penalties. Puts me off the sport tbh, to some extent. I think the powers that be like lots of penalties because they think it adds to the entertainment.

A foul is still a foul regardless of whether the player is still in control of the ball.

5 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

A foul is still a foul regardless of whether the player is still in control of the ball.

If that's not given as a foul just because he wouldn't get the subsequent ball, that is the gateway to carnage.  You could just web someone up a height and argue as they weren't getting the ball it isn't a foul

7 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

Yeah, and why introduce another complication to ‘was it a foul or not?’ We have all seen what has happened to handball

3 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

But the definition of a foul in that context is that the player has been impeded. I don't agree that someone who's kicked the ball out has been impeded, because there's nothing he can do to further influence that sequence of play. It's one of my football pet hates.

It's not long ago that people were kicking the ball so it was going out before kicking the keeper in the ribs to have an excuse to fall over, and getting the keeper sent off as well as a penalty! Completely ruined numerous games.

5 minutes ago, 1964 said:

If that's not given as a foul just because he wouldn't get the subsequent ball, that is the gateway to carnage.  You could just web someone up a height and argue as they weren't getting the ball it isn't a foul

No you couldn't, because it could still be considered a foul due to being reckless or dangerous, or unsportsmanlike conduct.

I mean, you may be happy with things as they are, but for me pens like that ruin the sport. I can't agree that a ball deliberately kicked out for a goal kick to draw a foul warrants a crack from 12 yards.