Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

11 minutes ago, Menace said:

:lol:

Funny guy. You're actually more reactionary than most of this server itself

Um ... okay.

If it makes you feel better to say that cool.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Fucking hell, what is this injuries shit?

Probably nothing more than bad luck but am I right in thinking you only had 3 or 4 pre-season friendlies this summer? Could that be linked? 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Um ... okay.

If it makes you feel better to say that cool.

My comment wasn't regarding yesterday's performance, my comment was upgrading on Almiron was something that was needed. He's a very limited winger who's approaching 30. This is a football forum - it would be boring if we all had the same footballing opinion.

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Probably nothing more than bad luck but am I right in thinking you only had 3 or 4 pre-season friendlies this summer? Could that be linked? 

3 in the US, Walsall, Lazio, Valencia, so 6.

We are already without Moreno and Ramsey, our left side, since before the end of last season, too. They're big players to miss.

18 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Other teams fans after 5-1: "but Villa is just an overrated shit team"

Neither are a good indicator to be honest. They got caught out with us tactically with the high line and our relentless pressing and pace up top. I think Emery will learn from that, and today they are playing a team who if they don’t go down, will be circling the drain.

They are not as good as people make out, but they are also not as bad as people make out.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

3 in the US, Walsall, Lazio, Valencia, so 6.

We are already without Moreno and Ramsey, our left side, since before the end of last season, too. They're big players to miss.

Ah, right, not down lack of decent prep then, my mistake :thup:

25 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I was hoping so but thought they looked decent for a lot of that first game. Guess there’s still hope.

Relegated teams are riddled with examples of games where they were the better team and luck/lack of finishing cost them and they ended up losing a game they should have won, it’s actually the hallmark of relegated teams.

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

My comment wasn't regarding yesterday's performance, my comment was upgrading on Almiron was something that was needed. He's a very limited winger who's approaching 30. This is a football forum - it would be boring if we all had the same footballing opinion.

Fair enough.

Diaby's only been here 5 mins though, and isn't even playing the same position, so I'm not sure he would have been the right fit.

Almiron really doesn't help himself unfortunately. Watching the game back he probably had the best bits of play going forward for us, but in absolutely crucial moments he sometimes does the most awful thing that everything else good is forgotten about.

I think he is seen as crucial to the pressing game Howe has put in place and he also offers a lot of defensive support to Trippier, and so finding similar traits in a player with more quality I think has been difficult.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think he is seen as crucial to the pressing game Howe has put in place and he also offers a lot of defensive support to Trippier, and so finding similar traits in a player with more quality I think has been difficult.

This is the main one for me. The games where Trippier looked poor were the games without Almiron helping. 

Edited by OCK

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Neither are a good indicator to be honest. They got caught out with us tactically with the high line and our relentless pressing and pace up top. I think Emery will learn from that, and today they are playing a team who if they don’t go down, will be circling the drain.

They are not as good as people make out, but they are also not as bad as people make out.

It's difficult to make out very much at all on teams on the basis of two very differing games at the start of the season.

You weren't as bad as you looked after we beat you at our place last year. We weren't as bad as we looked when shipping four at home to Leicester under Emery. 

Bad days happen, and you really need a decent sample of games to get a better idea.

Except for Everton, who look utterly hopeless in a continuation of last season.

They're uberfucked.