Still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

18 hours ago, triggs said:

52k is a lot for the second team in a city of 500k people

Yeah but Liverpool's support is swelled a lot by non locals so the 'pool' of supporters is larger than that really. When I was there (99-05) I came across a lot more Scousers who were Everton fans than Liverpool fans, but you do obviously get group bias where a friend of a friend of a friend is likely to have similar interests

7 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Yeah but Liverpool's support is swelled a lot by non locals so the 'pool' of supporters is larger than that really. When I was there (99-05) I came across a lot more Scousers who were Everton fans than Liverpool fans, but you do obviously get group bias where a friend of a friend of a friend is likely to have similar interests

Depends where you draw the boundaries of likely catchment areas@triggs. The metropolitan areas list or ‘conurbations’ is probably the most accurate for possible ‘local support’.
It has Liverpool-Birkenhead with a 2.4million population; this includes Merseyside proper and adjoining bits of West Lancs, The Wirral and Cheshire. For comparison, Newcastle-Sunderland is at 1.6m (and has adjoining bits of Northumberland and Durham as well as Tyne & Wear proper). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPON_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

That Gerrard tackle on Herrera was fucking hilarious at the time.  He’d only just came on off the bench.

Commentators were incredulous that the referee could do such a thing to “Stevie Gee”.

46 minutes ago, OCK said:

This is like watching those clips of the 70s and 80s with Souness assaulting people and thinking "how the hell was football like that"... [emoji38] Sometimes you forgot how much the game has changed, even within your own life time. 

Try the Leeds Liverpool 1974 Charity Shield!

1 minute ago, Astroblack said:

Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes is the absolute worst thing I’ve seen in football. Absolute thug. Should not be glorified. 

Did he not do similar to a Sunderland player when at Wimbledon too?

Here’s a shorter one which gives a sense of Revie’s Leeds (including ‘robust’ Geordie centre back pairing of Hunter and Charlton)  including a famous brawl vs Derby. The teams had ‘history’  during Clough’s earlier reign as Derby manager. 

The following book is apparently going to get released in English sometime over the next few months:

default-YckD9dn4-medium.jpg?w=400&f=webp

The title is "Let the Right Ones in" and chronicles how Bodø/Glimt went from being bailed out by the city government to avoid insolvency and ceasing to exist - to completely re-structuring how to run the club, implement a club-specific footballing philosophy and to only hire staff that would continually develop and follow the new ethos of the club. Today, Bodø/Glimt is in a league of it's own in the Norwegian league, never plays dull football and has done so well in European competetions that Norway for the first time since the 00/01 season has two CL spots (for 25/56), which means that Norway is guaranteed a team in the CL starting that season. That team will be Bodø/Glimt, as it should be, given how they currently have a 10 point lead at the top of the table with nine games to go.