14 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We're playing Arsenal and Liverpool. 

I absolutely despite playing league rivals in preseason. :lol:

Good job yous are playing Arsenal and Liverpool then

Edited by jack j

39 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We're playing Arsenal and Liverpool. 

I absolutely despite playing league rivals in preseason. :lol:

In reality they’re basically your closest friends.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Football definitely doesn't need more goals like, absolutely not. One of the best parts of the game is that it's a low scoring game and because of that there are so many aspects of the game that become so important and enjoyable. 

We're not going to suddenly start getting 9-5 scorelines. Defences will have to just think more. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

26 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're not going to suddenly start getting 9-5 scorelines. Defences will have to just think more. 

Think less and just defend a lot deeper IMO

39 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was refering to a post that said more goals would be desirable, something I don't agree with at all. I don’t actually think this is going to make a huge difference to how the game is played, it's a pretty marginal change (but one that is completely unneccessary IMO). 

4 hours ago, Nobody said:

I was refering to a post that said more goals would be desirable, something I don't agree with at all. I don’t actually think this is going to make a huge difference to how the game is played, it's a pretty marginal change (but one that is completely unneccessary IMO). 

I think it's necessary in that there shouldn't be a rule in football where this is against an offside law.

image.thumb.png.30e2ac1f2875412cbe9ca5f84827ed07.png

If that's given as a goal I think we're all happy, so I don't see the point in having the law as it is, where that should even be considered as offside.

With the law as it is now, the Shearer volley v Villa is likely ruled out under VAR, or on the replay you'd have had the commentator questioning whether it was on or not. Interpretation was "daylight" and rightly so imo. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I think a lot of the annoyances/frustrations with offsides is when the armpit/knee is fractionally offside.

Whilst this new law resolves that, to me it's an excessive solution to the problem. Instead we'll see ludicrous goals where a player is "well ahead" of the defender and the goals will stand.

The obvious resolution is to base it on feet only, that way a player leaning or in the case of the Bamford goal that was disallowed a player pointing isn't deemed to be offside. 

The tolerance needs to be a lot bigger, it's impossible to see the exact time the ball leaves the passes feet, apparently the ball can move 140mm per frame so to have to offside tolerance down to mm's can just never be totally accurate 

Of course, the real fix is just to get rid of VAR. Then either rule works reasonably well and makes for an enjoyable game.

31 minutes ago, 80 said:

Of course, the real fix is just to get rid of VAR. Then either rule works reasonably well and makes for an enjoyable game.

What's the point of having a law though where it's literally guess work on which part of a body might be on and off? At least with daylight you've got a chance. 

We actually have an automated system which the Premier League voted against using, just use that one. No need to change rules, no need for VAR to adjust it for incase a red top is playing.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

We actually have an automated system which the Premier League voted against using, just use that one. No need to change rules, no need for VAR to adjust it for incase a red top is playing.

The UEFA automated system would still rule out all the goals @Optimistic Nut and I are wanting to stand. The rule needs to change also.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What's the point of having a law though where it's literally guess work on which part of a body might be on and off? At least with daylight you've got a chance. 

I don't especially disagree.

With the point your opponents are making about teams moving to lower defensive lines, I think a counter point is that it'll potentially create more space in midfield for the kind of players we've traditionally loved to watch. Rather than the condensed, sterile, ultra disciplined, pass you to death Man City style being all conquering, we might see more room for mercurial inspiration in the game.

Going back to offside though, the issue is football, like much of life itself, was never designed to be litigated with millimeter precision. When we start trying to isolate and quantify every element, and pin every action down with legal tightness, we kill the thing we love.

Neither interpretation of the law is really wrong, what's wrong is the fixation on the exact moment something is or isn't off. We need to learn to tolerate some uncertainty and inexactness in a world in which technology allows us to retrospectively give ourselves the illusion of certainty and accuracy. Will daylight let us more easily spot if someone is offside? Yes I think so. Will it be farcical if someone's trailing toe being in line with a defender's leading toenail means the action is onside? Also yes.

Most of us know what feels right in the game and feels right for the game, we're just struggling to translate it into legal language and technological certainty because the game was never meant to seriously interact with either of those things.

The solution is to have a slight leeway - if the technology can implement this. By the nature of the offside law itself, we instinctively know what can be classed as an advantage or not, there's a middle ground that could easily be settled on. This new proposal is too much I think but to be ruling goals out because a spec of their kneecap happened to be ahead of the play before going through one on one also goes against the point of the rule in the first place.

Just implement a system that accounts for a margin of error, a bit like cricket's on-field decision thing when LBW's are only judged to clip the stumps. Having a thin line that is absolute isn't the way forward. Nobody cares about armpits, heels and kneecaps. That is not why offside was invented way back when.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Knew he was famous for bicycle kicks and volleys but fucking hell didn’t realise he was knocking them in every other goal. 

42 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

The Harry Kane statue is shite. He looks like the 1990’s Lilt kid. 

Foreheed’s a jolly good fellow….

IMG_8691.jpeg