Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

33 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Even more laughs when lower and non league attendances plummet and more clubs go bust

I honestly don't see non-league attendances dropping by removing the black-out, there are plenty of ways to watch games via dubious sources, and that's not really made much of an impact, and I think times have changed nowadays.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I honestly don't see non-league attendances dropping by removing the black-out, there are plenty of ways to watch games via dubious sources, and that's not really made much of an impact, and I think times have changed nowadays.

There's plenty of people who don't watch or know how to watch streams.

If you're a Newcastle fan and they're televised on a Saturday at 3pm, what's the incentive to go and support a local non league team instead?

These clubs rely on ticket incomes.

48 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The Premier League rights auction is this year and I doubt very much all games will be on the table yet

The Premier League will wait to see what happens with the EFL and 3pm blackouts and then maybe follow suit

It’s next year for the Premier League.

8 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

All reports say it's later this year but regardless I don't see 3pm matches being included in the next cycle

The EFL one is said to be done before the season starts. The Premier League one will go out to tender in August, but won’t conclude until next year.

If the EFL have made every match available and scrapped the 3pm KO’s, then the Premier Leagues hand will pretty much be forced to follow suit.

The Premier League sooner or later will go the way of scrapping the 3pm blackout regardless of the EFL do it this time around or not. By keeping the stance that they aren’t going too, they can allow the EFL to go ahead and do it 1st, then they don’t get the blame for opening the door.

2 hours ago, TheHoob said:

I'd gladly pay a hefty monthly price to access as much football as possible on a single platform. Be even better if Apple or Amazon buys DAZN and I can roll it into other subscriptions I already have.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Even more laughs when lower and non league attendances plummet and more clubs go bust

Football in England is so woven into the fabric of community and culture I have a hard time seeing this happen. 

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

I'd gladly pay a hefty monthly price to access as much football as possible on a single platform. Be even better if Apple or Amazon buys DAZN and I can roll it into other subscriptions I already have.

DAZN have only bid for the right, they will be one of many bidders. Apple are bidding as well and I’d imagine they would go in hard. Amazon will probably be in there, and Viaplay are also said to be interested. Sky will probably be interested but I think the EFL want to sell 1 package globally which you’d imagine would put both Viaplay and Sky at a massive disadvantage.

DAZN have had financial struggles, so I can see the EFL being cautious with them, especially after what happened with ITV digital which nearly sent the EFL bust.

YouTube (Google) recently won the USA Sunday ticket for the NFL, after Apple withdrew because the NFL wanted the payments to go through them, and Apple wanted subscribers to subscribe to them directly. So on that basis you would think that they would also have an interest in getting sport on TV.

£200m a year (which is what the EFL want) is pocket change to the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google/YouTube. Where as it will likely be a bit more of a barrier for DAZN etc.

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Unless Amazon produces their own TV channel to sort out the delay issue I hope they don't get it.

My preference would be Apple because they already have the MLS rights and I can see them having an ‘All Football’ subscription package. I also like how they offer some MLS games for free to those on Apple TV+ without the MLS add on, and some free for everyone.

Whoever gets it though, I’d like it for them to get the Premier League ones as well, just so we can have 1 provider.

The competition law rules will need to change for Amazon/Apple etc to take them all (Premier League rights), they made it so that the packages had to be split and no one provider can have them all

All that ended up doing was increasing the costs to subscribers as you had to end up subscribing to two different providers

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Aren't they just a streaming service too though? The delay between Amazon and the live action is a massive hindrance for me.

They are, however I have been watching some MLS games and watched the timer between the timer on the screen, and the timer on Flash-scores which is usually ahead of the TV broadcasts on normal TV. Anyway the most it’s been behind is 30 seconds, it’s often just seconds behind Flash-scores, and on par with normal TV broadcasts.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Is this an issue because apps will update the score before it happens?

The amount of group chats, football apps, texts, etc that ruin a goal. If I'm watching for example Sky Go on the laptop or mobile I accept this as it's naturally behind the TV coverage but then I put phone into flight mode. If I'm watching 'live' on TV though I'd expect the delay to be like BT Sport or Sky Sports live TV coverage where it's minimal.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The competition law rules will need to change for Amazon/Apple etc to take them all (Premier League rights), they made it so that the packages had to be split and no one provider can have them all

All that ended up doing was increasing the costs to subscribers as you had to end up subscribing to two different providers

Yes, however if the EFL is able to sell every game from every league to 1 provider, then you would imagine the Premier League would be saying that them selling 10 games a week to 1 provider is a better scenario then selling 36-72 a week that the EFL will be doing.

Find it astonishing that some clever cunt hasn't figured out how to get the delay to at least very close to the TV feed, and to roughly the same delay for everyone. Can watch games using the same provider, both on (very) high speed Internet services and it can still be a significant difference (10-20 seconds is significant here) between streams. 

So I did some thought calculations.

A £200m a year TV deal for the EFL, if we assume the EFL Cup and EFL Trophy takes away approximately 21% of the total deal, and excluding play off games, would equate to about £50k per club per match in revenue. Again this is taking away the expenses and if the money was distributed evenly from the Championship to League Two.