Newcastle United 0-0 Crystal Palace (Newcastle win 3-2 on pels) - 09/11/22

Disco

Sounds ridiculous, but getting Man City at home in the next round maybe wouldn’t be the worst thing. 

Chances are you’re going to have to beat them at some point if you want to win it, so you’ve got a much better chance of doing that at home, than at Wembley.

Also the fact that the vast majority of their squad will have been at the WC and some only back shortly before the game, would be another advantage.

You’ve got absolutely no idea what state anyone would be in for the next round RE: player availability but you’d be mad not to want to Charlton, Franchise or Gillingham at home. Full house, next to no away fans. Job should be a good un even without anyone at the WC.  

Poor game. Made worse by missing most of the penalties because some absolute scum bag tried to fight me and my dad and then tried to bite my dad. 

Absolute scum and I’ve reported him. Turns out lots of similar reports made in the ground to stewards today…

Not acceptable.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Poor game. Made worse by missing most of the penalties because some absolute scum bag tried to fight me and my dad and then tried to bite my dad. 

Absolute scum and I’ve reported him. Turns out lots of similar reports made in the ground to stewards today…

Not acceptable.

Fuck sake sorry to hear that

30 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Can't be arsed doing match ratings but Targett, Manquillo & (particularly) Maxi were bloody dreadful with the ball tonight. Anderson a non-event too although we didn't play down the right too much.

Most of the others put a canny shift in, it just lacked quality and you could see a lot of them were rusty. Tripps and Bruno really lifted it when they were introduced and what a hero Pope is for getting us through the tie. 

A year or two ago we lose that tie 0-1, absolutely nailed on. It's pleasing that if we aren't firing going forwards we look absolutely comfortable as fuck at the back even with the changes we made.

Shelvey was as bad as the ones mentioned like.

Shout out to lascelles though he looked comfortable  and was the better out of him and Burn

Have took me 6 year old lassie to 3 competitive games and we are yet to score in open play 

Burnley (lost on pens)

Cambridge

And tonight

Shes not gan again

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Not acceptable.

Fuckng hell. Cup games narf attract the nackas like

Just got home, not the greatest game I've ever watch but still seen far worse NUFC performances. Lots of players with little pitch time, who haven't played together, we didn't create much but it wasn't terrible. Obviously changed when we made the subs, probably should have won it in normal time. Pens was a bit tense but Nick Pope is fucking class.

Certainly different crowd in from regular league games, lots of people moaning when someone didn't shoot from 40 yards or we kept the ball rather than force it. 

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

when someone didn't shoot from 40 yards

Fucking dickheads forever shooting "shoot" man. :anguish: :lol:

Aye we were a bit rubbish for a lot of tonight but Palace took the piss. Came up for the penalties and barely knew how to take one.

Those Pope saves instantly go into some of the best personal memories for me at the ground: 25 ago this week my dad and I were there for a LC tie against Blackburn, which we lost on pens, so a brilliant bit of redemption for us there. 

Thought pretty much everyone had a sub-par game but thought Joelinton was probably the pick of the bunch. Manquillo and Targett were shite and I'm sick to fucking death of Shelvey. Really hope he doesn't stroll back into the team. 

11 minutes ago, Disco said:

What the fuck? Coked up or just a nut job? Not like you’re not a big lad either.

I think very drunk. Him and his mate absolute knackers all game. I just have heard C*** shouted 20 times. Worst bit is? They had their two 5 or 6 year old kids with them and the majority around us in that part of the Gallowgate were kids and parents. 

Sometimes cup games do seem to attract some strange ones like. Was humming and harring about reporting it. But thought, nah f*** it. 

When I reported it to the supervisor, she was telling me another bloke, during penalties was nutted by a kid whilst the kid’s dad held him back. Seriously man, wtf?

Just got back. Thoughts:

The game was exactly as I expected. There's a reason why i asked about pens in the pre match thread.

Botmans passing between the lines is unreal.

Burn was our best player first half which tells a story.

Anderson isn't ready. He should be loaned out in January.

Manquillo, Wood and Targett showed the areas where we still lacked depth.

Shelvey was fine at passing the ball around where he lacks compared to Bruno is the movement to get back on the ball.

Lascelles hates the football.

Pope is mint.

Couldn't really give a fuck about the performance. Good draw in the next round please.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Joelinton was probably the pick of the bunch

Aye I thought so too, particularly in the second half.

Mind I was absolutely certain we’d lose on pens. Only one I can remember us winning was Watford in the mid 00’s.

Would turn my Apple Watch off if we got to a pen shootout in a final. Heart rate would be horrifically high. 

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I think very drunk. Him and his mate absolute knackers all game. I just have heard C*** shouted 20 times. Worst bit is? They had their two 5 or 6 year old kids with them and the majority around us in that part of the Gallowgate were kids and parents. 

Sometimes cup games do seem to attract some strange ones like. Was humming and harring about reporting it. But thought, nah f*** it. 

When I reported it to the supervisor, she was telling me another bloke, during penalties was nutted by a kid whilst the kid’s dad held him back. Seriously man, wtf?

Jesus. The fuck is the matter with people? I know cup games can always be a bit choice but that’s absolutely mad. Those poor kids.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Yeah, unfortunately cup games do seem to attract a larger amount of these type of clowns. 

I seem to remember our Thursday night Europa games being particularly bad for it

*compared to your average league game. Not implying all cup games are frequently by loads and loads of idiots off their nut on whatever. Just seem to be enough to make them more noticeable.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Those Pope saves instantly go into some of the best personal memories for me at the ground: 25 ago this week my dad and I were there for a LC tie against Blackburn, which we lost on pens, so a brilliant bit of redemption for us there. 

Didn’t we get a late pen to send a dreadful game into extra time for that one. Vague memories of it being absolutely shit and hoping we’d miss so I could go home.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Aye I thought so too, particularly in the second half.

Mind I was absolutely certain we’d lose on pens. Only one I can remember us winning was Watford in the mid 00’s.

Would turn my Apple Watch off if we got to a pen shootout in a final. Heart rate would be horrifically high. 

We beat Newport on pens under Bruce live on Sky. Don’t blame anyone for banishing that game from their memories mind…

Just now, SteV said:

We beat Newport on pens under Bruce live on Sky. Don’t blame anyone for banishing that game from their memories mind…

Proud (but almost ashamed) to admit I only seen 3 games of Bruceball. No memories of his time, save for the Spurs post-takeover game.