Newcastle United 0-0 Crystal Palace (Newcastle win 3-2 on pels) - 09/11/22

Disco

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

Joelinton’s took two pens for us and they’ve both been unstoppable.

Just ignore the one he missed at Newport!

The highlights are so desperate they even included Burn’s header…the offside flag was up so it was totally irrelevant 

Dreadful match but glad to have got through. Great seeing lots of young kids there able to see the team play but in all honesty it felt more like a pre-season match with zero atmosphere. Weird mix of kids with parents, young charvers trying to act hard and lots of people seemingly more interested in purchasing pop and pies. The number of times I stood up with people coming and going in my row 🤦‍♂️ 

Atmosphere picked up a bit second half and the subs made a difference but we just struggled to find anything that clinical in the final 3rd. Pope class in the shoot out, roll on the draw tonight. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

24 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Just ignore the one he missed at Newport!

The highlights are so desperate they even included Burn’s header…the offside flag was up so it was totally irrelevant 

I can’t remember that at all tbh! 

Although I did say in an earlier post I wouldn’t blame anyone that’s completely stricken that game from memory 

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

1965A138-9B08-4E74-9FC8-CFD039F8402B.thumb.jpeg.c2bf138b37def9cd130e305c9abc22ac.jpeg

Headline news on the BBC but no mention whatsoever of Pope doing the exact same thing? It’s shameless like, up there with Sky Sports showing the top half as 1-11 so Liverpool could be included earlier in the season :lol:

It's because Klopp said Kelleher was absolutely exceptional, that's why it's in quotation marks. 

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

It's because Klopp said Kelleher was absolutely exceptional, that's why it's in quotation marks. 

Eddie said similar things about Pope in his post-match, no reason that shouldn’t be it’s own story too imo 

Edit: the quotes are even in their match report. ““Top-drawer” Pope sends Newcastle through”. There you go BBC, written your headline for you, now stick wor Nick on the front page where he belongs 

Edited by LiquidAK

12 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

1965A138-9B08-4E74-9FC8-CFD039F8402B.thumb.jpeg.c2bf138b37def9cd130e305c9abc22ac.jpeg

Headline news on the BBC but no mention whatsoever of Pope doing the exact same thing? It’s shameless like, up there with Sky Sports showing the top half as 1-11 so Liverpool could be included earlier in the season :lol:

Let them ignore us. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Dreadful match but glad to have got through. Great seeing lots of young kids there able to see the team play but in all honesty it felt more like a pre-season match with zero atmosphere. Weird mix of kids with parents, young charvers trying to act hard and lots of people seemingly more interested in purchasing pop and pies. The number of times I stood up with people coming and going in my row 🤦‍♂️ 

Atmosphere picked up a bit second half and the subs made a difference but we just struggled to find anything that clinical in the final 3rd. Pope class in the shoot out, roll on the draw tonight. 

Probably the reason the ground doesn't need expanded...

Family in front of me had 5 kids 3 of them spent the full match on their phones nee interest at all.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Young lad and his sister with parents in front of me. They kept looking back at me when me and my mate were singing. Likely their first match. They were really enjoying pens when we won and the little lad gave me a high five.

Love saying bairns enjoy themselves at match.

Felt like a pre season friendly 

Very poor game, Very poor atmosphere 

Everything was so slow until Bruno / Tripps and Botman came on 

I am not sold on Anderson (too light weight) and doesn’t have that extra yard of pace 

Longstaff covers the pitch very well , but he still ponders on the ball too much and loves a sloppy pass 

Big plus - We normally lose these games and we are another step closer to silverware 

37 minutes ago, jack j said:

Probably the reason the ground doesn't need expanded...

Family in front of me had 5 kids 3 of them spent the full match on their phones nee interest at all.

It’s a tough balance like.

Kids should absolutely be able to go. And without kids attending last night I doubt this would have been a sell out. 

Cup games are always a bit like this in the early rounds. I imagine if we had a SF leg it would be a very different crowd.

However, saying that, I tend to agree with expansion, and I can only get tickets through membership now. I’d rather be locked out of a bouncing SJP then get in with a ST every week in a day tripper stadium of 65,000+ like the Etihad or Anfield 

17 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

It’s a tough balance like.

Kids should absolutely be able to go. And without kids attending last night I doubt this would have been a sell out. 

Cup games are always a bit like this in the early rounds. I imagine if we had a SF leg it would be a very different crowd.

However, saying that, I tend to agree with expansion, and I can only get tickets through membership now. I’d rather be locked out of a bouncing SJP then get in with a ST every week in a day tripper stadium of 65,000+ like the Etihad or Anfield 

It wouldn't be bouncing though. It would just be the same old tired faces there every week because nobody else can get in. We seen all this happen back in the 90s under Keegan. His final full season here the atmosphere was flat as a fart. I remember beating Bolton at home in the January to go 12 points clear at the top and the atmosphere was worse than it was last night.

I've never experienced a good atmosphere at a 3rd Round League Cup game, especially one where the away team only bring 500 fans with them. Not really sure what people were expecting.

Edited by Wallsendmag

1 hour ago, samptime29 said:

Young lad and his sister with parents in front of me. They kept looking back at me when me and my mate were singing. Likely their first match. They were really enjoying pens when we won and the little lad gave me a high five.

Love saying bairns enjoy themselves at match.

Mackem confirmed…

Same as others have said, flat atmosphere, poor performance, just glad we won. Odd mix of people compared to a league game and a boring nowts each just magnified the lack of noise.

I took one of my kids for the first time, she's not really into football but sat and focused on the match and took it all. Surprisingly she'd like to go back. 

And it's not just kids staring at phones throughout the game, was a group of lads in their 20's near me and the only time they got animated was when one of them finally got some mobile signal. 

9 hours ago, STM said:

People turning up late. No fucker knowing where their seats where. Kids everywhere. Aye was pretty fucking horrific in there tonight.

I was going to mention this. Large groups of people gormlessly wandering up and down the stairs looking puzzled about twenty minutes after kick off, get to fuck. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

Mackem confirmed…

You jest but I noticed last night a very weird mix of accents there. Still plenty Geordie, but a more significant amount then usual of Durham, Wearside, and Teesside in the pub beforehand and in the ground around me as well. We had 4 Scots sat behind us and they were good crack tbf.

Clearly a lot of people taking in their first match as well, which is never going to be conducive to a great atmosphere but everyone's got to start somewhere and nights like last night are usually the place.

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

And it's not just kids staring at phones throughout the game, was a group of lads in their 20's near me and the only time they got animated was when one of them finally got some mobile signal. 

[emoji38]

28 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It wouldn't be bouncing though. It would just be the same old tired faces there every week because nobody else can get in. We seen all this happen back in the 90s under Keegan. His final full season here the atmosphere was flat as a fart. I remember beating Bolton at home in the January to go 12 points clear at the top and the atmosphere was worse than it was last night.

I've never experienced a good atmosphere at a 3rd Round League Cup game, especially one where the away team only bring 500 fans with them. Not really sure what people were expecting.

Not disagreeing, I think the membership balance has helped this season for sure. Genuinely shocked by the atmosphere after going 12 points top mind. Almost just expectant? Obviously the atmosphere must have changed a bit when the title race went down to the wire.

Certainly under the Bobby days, with an expanded stadium of 16,000, I never thought the atmosphere was particularly great tbh.

I was in GWC and I thought here was a decent little atmosphere in the second half. Have experienced far, far worse. 

Certainly agree re the 39th minute exodus. People can spend their money however they like but I do find it a bit depressing that folks are happy to spend up to 20 minutes on the concourse rather than watching and experiencing the game. 

Sloppy to the point where at times during the second half was genuinely not sure that he was fit. Played very much within himself. Did put in a couple of good crosses that we could have scored from like - which was about as close as we got to scoring all game.

12 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

[emoji38]

Not disagreeing, I think the membership balance has helped this season for sure. Genuinely shocked by the atmosphere after going 12 points top mind. Almost just expectant? Obviously the atmosphere must have changed a bit when the title race went down to the wire.

Certainly under the Bobby days, with an expanded stadium of 16,000, I never thought the atmosphere was particularly great tbh.

100% was people just turning up assuming we'd win. That Bolton game will always stick in my mind, partly because it was the day after my 18th, partly because it was the day we went 12 points clear and for that horrendous atmosphere.

I remember we went 1-0 up early on, think Paul Kitson scored and people just didn't seem arsed. Was a totally bizarre experience. Back in those days the ground held 36k and 33k must have been season ticket holders so you had exactly the same people around you every week.

Agree about the stadium expansion damaging the atmosphere post 2000 as well. It's a bad design for holding in the noise. Hopefully that's something they can rectify in the coming years.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Sloppy to the point where at times during the second half was genuinely not sure that he was fit. Played very much within himself. Did put in a couple of good crosses that we could have scored from like - which was about as close as we got to scoring all game.

Cheers @ponsaelius. From his recent cameo's 'playing within himself' would certainly be the term.

World Cup break, ironically, might do him a massive favour.