League Cup 4th Round - Newcastle Utd v AFC Bournemouth (20/12/22 @ 7.45pm)

32 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I just don’t see Wilson playing as early as Tuesday given recent quotes. He’ll be on the bench at best I reckon. Theyll want him 100% for Leicester 

I'd much rather he was rested for Leicester than Bournemouth.  Hoy Wood up top vs Leicester if Wilson can't manage the two games in a short period - Bournemouth is the most important of the two games.

Howe knows better than me of course - so if he isn't ready, he isn't ready

35 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'd much rather he was rested for Leicester than Bournemouth.  Hoy Wood up top vs Leicester if Wilson can't manage the two games in a short period - Bournemouth is the most important of the two games.

Howe knows better than me of course - so if he isn't ready, he isn't ready

Id go as far to say play Wilson v Leicester and Arsenal and start Wood at home v Leeds 

59 minutes ago, Shak said:

Which would people prefer?

- Win the League Cup and fall away in the league and finish 7th.

- Win nothing but keep pace all the way in the league and finish 2nd.

I can understand the desire of some supporters to win our first major tournament since 1969. 

However, looking at the bigger picture, winning the League Cup does not mean you are a particularly good side, whereas finishing 2nd in the Premier league DOES mean that . . . and a lot more besides.

So, 2nd option no contest.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

2nd option for me

I think as a club that would push us along way more than a League Cup win would 

Seen us finish 2nd a couple of times.  Meh.

Trophy every day of the week.

11 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Nobody would be disappointed if we don't win a trophy this season, but I would be rather gutted if we didn't get into the top 4 at this stage.

Sure, but that's not how the options work :) 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

I'd taking winning the League cup and getting relegated over the second option. 

13 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

I'd taking winning the League cup and getting relegated over the second option. 

Thankfully I do not think that anyone at the club would agree with that!

The second option (if it ever becomes a choice between those two options) is by many miles the best (and only) real choice.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Modern football is shite :) turning fans into budding accountants.  'The game is about glory' and all that

Yes it is, most definitely.

Finishing second in the best league in the football world, and then in the years after that following it up with . . .  ! ! !

GLORIOUS indeed!

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Finishing second in the best league in the football world, and then in the years after that following it up with . . .  ! ! !

GLORIOUS indeed!

I remember finishing second the first time - there wasn't much glory to it, tbh.  Certainly no celebrations.  The city would gan crackers for a week if we win a trophy - and that fucking hoodoo would be off our backs for good.  We qualify for Europe with it, too.

29 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Thankfully I do not think that anyone at the club would agree with that!

The second option (if it ever becomes a choice between those two options) is by many miles the best (and only) real choice.

23 minutes ago, manorpark said:

GLORI

The thing is, I'm sure coming second would be a bigger "badge of honour" when arguing with fans of other top 4 clubs on the social media platform of your choosing. I'm sure it's better for the club's finances too.

But I go to the match because there's a tiny little shred of hope that one day we might win something. Who gives a fuck if it's 'only' the League cup? My enjoyment definitely won't be diminished because Paul, aged 49 from the home counties, tweets saying "Look how excited those Geordies are getting over the League cup 🤣🤣🤣".

It'd be without doubt the best day of my Newcastle supporting life - and I imagine it would be the same for every other fan in Wembley that day too.  

Edited by TheDimpleboy

I'd take the cup, even though it's better for the club to qualify for the champions league, I've been following Newcastle from afar, for no fucking good reason, for twenty years now and I had fully accepted the idea that we would never win anything in my lifetime.

So yeah, let's fucking win something. This is a good chance to do it, lots of good teams are out, and our side is perfect for tournaments at the moment, in that we can make any team uncomfortable on the day and always have a chance to scrape a result even against the very best teams in the world.

We don't have the depth to win the league yet, but we are right bastards enough to shithouse a win at Wembley against anyone.

Can't believe people are taking 2nd place over actually winning a trophy.

We desperately need to get the "won nothing" monkey off our back. I still think if we'd won a cup under Keegan, he'd have stayed until we won everything.

Doesn't matter that it's "only" the League Cup, isn't that how Man City started?

3 hours ago, Shak said:

Will probably be the end of my life due to the amount of substances and alcohol I’d consume if number one happens, but I still have to pick that. 

16 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Will probably be the end of my life due to the amount of substances and alcohol I’d consume if number one happens, but I still have to pick that. 

I think its crazy people would rather win a cup where most teams play their reserves than finish 2nd with all the money (FFP) the champions league and better players we could attract.

I would like to win the league cup but I’m not sure you can still consider it a major trophy. 

I would be really happy but if we’re honest it is second rate. 

Guess the main reason to win it is just to get that winning feeling that big clubs have. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 hours ago, Shak said:

I’d choose win the league cup over finishing 2nd even if the trade off was that I had to watch me mam and dad dogging at St Mary’s Lighthouse car park