League Cup 4th Round - Newcastle Utd v AFC Bournemouth (20/12/22 @ 7.45pm)

8 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Karius, Manquillo, Schar, Botman, Burn, Willock, Shelvey, Joelinton, Miggy, Wood, ASM.

Subs: Pope, Trippier, Lascelles, Targett, Bruno, Longstaff, Murphy, Fraser, Wilson.

I’ll blow my top if that’s the team mind.

They’re all out of the WC now, more than enough recovery time for the proper football.  We’ve got to view this as a chance of a trophy

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ll blow my top if that’s the team mind.

They’re all out of the WC now, more than enough recovery time for the proper football.  We’ve got to view this as a chance of a trophy

Agree. Still 11 days away, even if they aren't back straight away it'll be over a week back at home then it's another five days before Leicester. 

Plus, it's halfway through the season, they'd be playing weekly (at least) at this stage any previous year.

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

Agree. Still 11 days away, even if they aren't back straight away it'll be over a week back at home then it's another five days before Leicester. 

Plus, it's halfway through the season, they'd be playing weekly (at least) at this stage any previous year.

Aye plus only Trippier has had reasonable game time, maybe schar

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think the world cup players will need at least a week off, and then at least a week of training  to get back playing for us.

No way. Its not as if they've had a full season, into an International tournament then straight back into a new season. They'd be training/playing regularly at this time during any normal season without an extended break.

They've played 15 (or so) games then had a few weeks in Qatar where they've mostly just trained (rather than playing). 

Injuries aside they shouldn't need a week off then another week to get back up to speed.

14 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think the world cup players will need at least a week off, and then at least a week of training  to get back playing for us.

No chance, our lads have barely kicked a ball, no reason for them not to be in the squad on Boxing Day.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

No chance, our lads have barely kicked a ball, no reason for them not to be in the squad on Boxing Day.

am thinking more about the mental side of things. intense couple of weeks and then an emotional QF knock out.

or maybe they'll just want to get stuck straight in to get over the disappointments.

whichever way it goes is fine as it will be Howe making the decisions.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

am thinking more about the mental side of things. intense couple of weeks and then an emotional QF knock out.

or maybe they'll just want to get stuck straight in to get over the disappointments.

whichever way it goes is fine as it will be Howe making the decisions.

I think they will get this coming week off, then back in the week after, fingers crossed anyways because Leicester away will be difficult to win without them.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s why I think we’ll have them on the bench for Bournemouth, probably play 20-30 mins or more if required, then all back starting on Boxing Day.

9 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

That’s why I think we’ll have them on the bench for Bournemouth, probably play 20-30 mins or more if required, then all back starting on Boxing Day.

I think this is probably a good shout. There’s an argument that even the lads who’ve been away on World Cup duty need some sharpening with a lack of game time recently but it will be interesting to see what Howe does. You’d like to think we can beat Bournemouth with a mixed side with some starters rested so yes the aim will be have everyone ready for Leicester away which will be tough.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I keep thinking that we’re going to win this thing.  I know how ludicrous that is given our history, but it’s not going away.  I’m tempted to book flights back to Newcastle for the final - obviously not to actually attend, but just to witness the bedlam when that trophy duck is broken.  Sodom and Gomorrah will have nowt on the mayhem in the Haymarket, Bigg Market and Quayside that night (or that week, for that matter)

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I keep thinking that we’re going to win this thing.  I know how ludicrous that is given our history, but it’s not going away.  I’m tempted to book flights back to Newcastle for the final - obviously not to actually attend, but just to witness the bedlam when that trophy duck is broken.  Sodom and Gomorrah will have nowt on the mayhem in the Haymarket, Bigg Market and Quayside that night (or that week, for that matter)

that’s a tad optimistic for the poor sods cleaning the streets, it will go on for a month at least

4th Round draw:

Wolves vs Gillingham

Southampton vs Lincoln City

Blackburn Rovers vs Nottingham Forest

Newcastle United vs Bournemouth

Manchester City vs Liverpool

Manchester United vs Burnley

MK Dons vs Leicester City

Charlton Athletic vs Brighton and Hove Albion

We should absolutely try winning the whole damn thing. Win this, win a favourable QF and it's a 2-legged semi-final. Can't imagine how SJP will be on a semi-final night. Forget Marseille all those years back. This will be something special.

Even if the World Cup boys are not back or just benched, the other lads should be bouncing and ready to go for this.

Edited by nufcjb

22 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

4th Round draw:

Wolves vs Gillingham

Southampton vs Lincoln City

Blackburn Rovers vs Nottingham Forest

Newcastle United vs Bournemouth

Manchester City vs Liverpool

Manchester United vs Burnley

MK Dons vs Leicester City

Charlton Athletic vs Brighton and Hove Albion

We should absolutely try winning the whole damn thing. Win this, win a favourable QF and it's a 2-legged semi-final. Can't imagine how SJP will be on a semi-final night. Forget Marseille all those years back. This will be something special.

Even if the World Cup boys are not back or just benched, the other lads should be bouncing and ready to go for this.

Nobody will want to play us at the moment, especially at St James.

12 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

No way. Its not as if they've had a full season, into an International tournament then straight back into a new season. They'd be training/playing regularly at this time during any normal season without an extended break.

They've played 15 (or so) games then had a few weeks in Qatar where they've mostly just trained (rather than playing). 

Injuries aside they shouldn't need a week off then another week to get back up to speed.

I think the week off would be in line with the non WC players getting to go off on their holidays before hitting training again hard.