Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan (Japan and Spain qualify)

Big River

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

England always struggle against any team that can keep the ball, Spain would be a nightmare to face.

I think you can defeat Spain. Yes, Spain will dominate the midfield and possession but they don't seem to have that cutting edge upfront and the defense seems a bit soft. The way Spain play might also work well for Southgate ball. Keep it tight at the back, let the opposition have the ball and have the fullbacks attack in numbers when they lose possession. Spain also don't look that convincing defending set pieces which England can exploit with their physicality upfront and Trippier. 

I thought it was funny when Germany lost to Japan the other day and thought they were on the brink of going out when I saw Costa Rica losing 0-7 (knowing CR faced Japan next), but as a relative neutral who's enjoying the tournament, I'd far rather see Croatia/Belgium (or Morocco as it will now probably prove to be) vs Germany in the last 16 than vs Japan, kind of same with Argentina ahead of Poland, so I'm now kind of pleased with how today turned out.

Not really in Germany's hands to go through, but if they win by two goals on Thursday, you'd be stunned if they went out.

Was really impressed with Busquets, of course he's a snidy shit house and has been an elite player for years now but he's just so so good even now, always in the right place at the right time and keeps things simple. One of the best ever in his position imo. 

10 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

Was really impressed with Busquets, of course he's a snidy shit house and has been an elite player for years now but he's just so so good even now, always in the right place at the right time and keeps things simple. One of the best ever in his position imo. 

Literally baffles me how Xavi can’t get a tune out of a set of midfields that has the likes of Busquets, De Jong, Gavi, Pedri and Kessie 

5 hours ago, Mikky said:

Literally baffles me how Xavi can’t get a tune out of a set of midfields that has the likes of Busquets, De Jong, Gavi, Pedri and Kessie 

Luís Enrique is a far better manager. His Barça side gets kinda overshadowed by the Guardiola years, but it was brilliant to watch. 

Wonder where he'll end up after the WC, since everybody takes it for granted he'll leave Spain after it.

6 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

Luís Enrique is a far better manager. His Barça side gets kinda overshadowed by the Guardiola years, but it was brilliant to watch. 

Wonder where he'll end up after the WC, since everybody takes it for granted he'll leave Spain after it.

Back to Barca? or Maybe he takes on a PL job ala Pep?

18 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Back to Barca? or Maybe he takes on a PL job ala Pep?

Can't see us bailing on Xavi unless the rest of the season goes terribly, and we're pretty much guaranteed to finish at least second because the rest of the league is pretty crap. And I'm not sure Lucho would fancy a second stint anyway? Rather have him for sure.

No idea where he'd go. He might not take a job just yet.

I heard Luis Enrique yesterday being asked questions about finishing 2nd, but didn't really take much notice, but looking at how the knockout draw is looking, it would definitely be an advantage to finish 2nd.

Obviously things can quickly change, Croatia could top their group, Brazil could rest players and finish 2nd themselves etc. but how it's currently looking, their respective paths to the final could look something like the below

Top the Group - Croatia/Belgium - Brazil - Argentina
Finish 2nd - Morocco - Portugal - France (or England)

They'd surely have more chance of reaching the semi final by being runners up. They can't fully control the destiny of how their group will shape up, but they could try and keep things tight in their match, and keep tabs on the Germany-Croatia match, and potentially act accordingly.

9 minutes ago, Flip said:

So Spain would benefit from losing to Japan? Lets go Japan.

I think they'll just go out and try and finish the job, keep the momentum going, and then plan for the KO matches when they arise, but it definitely looks more favourable them finishing 2nd than first (probably Morocco then Portugal, instead of Croatia and likely Brazil), but with them not beating Germany the other day, it's harder to potentially ease off etc.

Had they beaten Germany and were on 6 points and Japan on 4, then they could have lost and definitely finished 2nd, but Germany could just about pip them on goal difference, plus Costa Rica could go ahead of them if they got a shock win, and there'd be serious egg on their face if they ended up 3rd having won their first match 7-0.

It's a weird situation, but I guess they just have to be professional and go for the win, and what will be will be.

Edit - actually no they couldn't because Japan are only on 3 points, and would need have needed to be a battering for Japan to pip them into 2nd, and even then a win CR could see them in 3rd as well.

Edited by Paullow

23 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Why does Tyldsley keep calling Sergio Busquets "Sergie" Busquets?? Is that actually how it's pronounced and he's the only one getting it right? Or has he lost it a bit?

I think he’s being overfamiliar. Wonder if Des Lynam will be sharing his outrage at this.