Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan (Japan and Spain qualify)

Big River

One of the most entertaining matches so far.

Obviously a lot of talent out there, but I'm sure it being slightly cooler helps. They should try to create some technology to make it always like this, perhaps a permanent cloud over the stadiums 

I was about to post both of these teams could use a Callum Wilson upfront. We can go through so many styles and philosophy of football, there will always be a place for a big pacy physical striker with decent technique who can score.

Could be interesting as Group F play first on Thursday. Spain are essentially through - may end up being in their interest to finish second if they fancy Morocco over Croatia for e.g. 

Not that I think they'd throw a game against Japan - just may influence level of motivation.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Met at the same exact stage during USA '94. Pretty naff 1-1 draw. I was having chip shop battered sausage, chips and gravy at the time.

I'm of the Special Agent Dale Cooper Tibetan and cosmic signage school of predictions

Edited by Jonas

A part of my enjoyment of previous World Cups and other international tournaments is discovering new and obscure players which is increasingly difficult with stats coming out of our ears and everything already being documented on Twitter, Youtube, The Athletic etc

So that random German goalscorer was a bit of fun

I started off very impressed by Spain, but the longer the game went on, the more I started to doubt them. They seemed to run out of energy, and their press became very weak. The risks they took when playing the ball out from the back were huge. They actually seemed to want the Germans to close them down so that they could take advantage of gaps that might appear as a result. In the end, the Germans looked the more likely to get a winner.

The World Cup is mostly knockout football, and I think somewhere along the line they're going to come unstuck.

18 minutes ago, Holloway said:

What are you worried about? A very average Germany pegged back Spain

I'm not from England but think England would be the underdog against both of these teams.

30 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Could be interesting as Group F play first on Thursday. Spain are essentially through - may end up being in their interest to finish second if they fancy Morocco over Croatia for e.g. 

Not that I think they'd throw a game against Japan - just may influence level of motivation.

Not only that. Could potentially avoid Brazil in the quarters as well by finishing 2nd. 

All their players on yellow will be benched fwiw.

Best game live this World Cup for me. Atmosphere much better, although I’m not fully convinced by either side. 

I don't think we should fear anyone, really, because I think we've got the quality and general stubbornness to keep any game to within one goal. France, Brazil and Spain all look like better teams though. Would still fancy us against Germany.