Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon (Brazil and Switzerland qualify)

Big River

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Did you watch it?

I was there and Bruno was definitely not worse. While Bruno got caught with the ball, the thing is he always wants to play a forward pass. Fred doesn’t. Fred will cover more ground, and be an option everywhere, he’s like a really poormans version of Kante. Bruno is different. Don’t think he’ll start more than next game as I think Casemiro - Paqueta behind Rodrygo/Neymar is going to be it for us going forward. Rodrygo is showing signs of becoming the next big thing from Brazil. Vini is more exciting, but Rodrygo really has this star aura on the pitch. He’s everywhere at times offensively, making the team click and really intelligent player.

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

Did you watch it?

Bruno wasn't at the top of his game like he's been for NUFC, but he was still immediately purposeful and trying to make things happen. You could see that once he's worked out his role in that team he could bring plenty. Looked like he was finding his way at international level, obviously he doesn't start most games so that's understandable.

1 hour ago, Flip said:

I was there and Bruno was definitely not worse. While Bruno got caught with the ball, the thing is he always wants to play a forward pass. Fred doesn’t. Fred will cover more ground, and be an option everywhere, he’s like a really poormans version of Kante. Bruno is different. Don’t think he’ll start more than next game as I think Casemiro - Paqueta behind Rodrygo/Neymar is going to be it for us going forward. Rodrygo is showing signs of becoming the next big thing from Brazil. Vini is more exciting, but Rodrygo really has this star aura on the pitch. He’s everywhere at times offensively, making the team click and really intelligent player.

We've spoken about Rodrygo before. Until maybe the CL QF's, I didn't see it with him at all. He's scored some and assisted some lovely (and important) goals since.

He doesn't fit into the team though. The weakest link in the attacking line-up is Raphiniha (based on the first game anyway) and RW isn't Rodrygo's best position.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We've spoken about Rodrygo before. Until maybe the CL QF's, I didn't see it with him at all. He's scored some and assisted some lovely (and important) goals since.

He doesn't fit into the team though. The weakest link in the attacking line-up is Raphiniha (based on the first game anyway) and RW isn't Rodrygo's best position.

Raphinha was very good in the first game like. If he was still playing for Leeds and had his confidence he would’ve scored twice at the very least. Barcelona have slaughter his confidence. In addition to that, you couldn’t see it on TV, but he was running a ridiculous amount. The Serbs pushed high with their wingbacks and he had to cover as Danilo played more as a central defender. Vini was let free to remain higher up the pitch. Raphinha has all the quality in the world, only thing lacking is confidence (unlike Rich who is the opposite, not very talented but all the confidence)

I agree that Rodrygo doesn’t have a place in this team as of right now. His position in this team is as the #10 when Neymar is out or as one of the wingers off the bench. Great thins is that both Rodrygo and Bruno have a purpose with their game on the pitch. They make great movement and always show for the ball. Antony is great when you are leading as he can keep possession, but he’s not deadly infront of goal and I prefer Martinelli and the others over him in that sense.

19 minutes ago, Flip said:

Raphinha was very good in the first game like. If he was still playing for Leeds and had his confidence he would’ve scored twice at the very least. Barcelona have slaughter his confidence. In addition to that, you couldn’t see it on TV, but he was running a ridiculous amount. The Serbs pushed high with their wingbacks and he had to cover as Danilo played more as a central defender. Vini was let free to remain higher up the pitch. Raphinha has all the quality in the world, only thing lacking is confidence (unlike Rich who is the opposite, not very talented but all the confidence)

I agree that Rodrygo doesn’t have a place in this team as of right now. His position in this team is as the #10 when Neymar is out or as one of the wingers off the bench. Great thins is that both Rodrygo and Bruno have a purpose with their game on the pitch. They make great movement and always show for the ball. Antony is great when you are leading as he can keep possession, but he’s not deadly infront of goal and I prefer Martinelli and the others over him in that sense.

I thought he looked devoid of confidence in that first game and a weak link from an attacking perspective. A more confident attacker would have had a goal or two like you say. I was a massive fan of Raphinha at Leeds and desperately wanted him here. If our DNA is high work-rate and ability he fits with that. But he's been really poor for Barca and I thought in that first game too.