57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

The gap from 8th-10th could be miniscule, no need to get to caught up on placement (below 7th) as top 10 still indicates massive progress 

Relative to where we've come from, maybe. But considering what we were able to achieve in the second half of last season, 7th and up is the obvious benchmark to be trying to hit. And it's clear to me, most importantly of all, from the top down, we're fostering a mindset of legitimately trying to compete with the top six to the greatest possible extent. 

In light of all of that, I don't know why anyone would want to lower the bar and start talking about the positives of a top 10 finish. 

Finishing 10th means a few of the likes of Brighton, Fulham, West Ham, Leicester overtaking us which would be a disappointment. Could maybe accept 8th if someone like West Ham or Leicester click into gear which they have the potential to, but 10th would be a poor season from where we are today.

9 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Relative to where we've come from, maybe. But considering what we were able to achieve in the second half of last season, 7th and up is the obvious benchmark to be trying to hit. And it's clear to me, most importantly of all, from the top down, we're fostering a mindset of legitimately trying to compete with the top six to the greatest possible extent. 

In light of all of that, I don't know why anyone would want to lower the bar and start talking about the positives of a top 10 finish. 

While I agree with the ambition, the current state of our squad suggests to me that maintaining and finishing within top 10 this season IS a positive. I've said it before, one or two key injuries (Bruno/Wilson even Botman or Schar) could significantly harm our current consistency and given the intensity we play/train at its likely at some point. I dont see it as lowering the bar myself, I think we are actually performing above the bar right now.. no reason we cant continue but realistically I think its unlikely.

I think we as fans tend to forget where we started when Howe came in, things have moved very quickly (credit to Howe, players and ownership) but there will be bumps in the road up ahead. Theres no way 8th/9th would be disappointing to me, theres a long way to go even after our great start.

Edited by Nine

32 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

This is just fucking nuts and in my opinion encapsulates everything wrong with a percentage of our fan base, post takeover.

Just be thankful we're doing well, on the up and progressing.

I'm glad you think that I'm everything wrong with our fanbase, simply for thinking that we are doing so well that our ceiling is now 4th, rather than bedwetting my way to being happy with top 10. Were you around before the Ashley years?

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'm glad you think that I'm everything wrong with our fanbase, simply for thinking that we are doing so well that our ceiling is now 4th, rather than bedwetting my way to being happy with top 10. Were you around before the Ashley years?

Yes, I was. Since 1995/1996.

You didn't say the ceiling was 4th.

You said 4th should be the goal, with 5th or 6th would be the new 'acceptable' which I think is complete nonsense. 

How on earth would going from being a team that has struggled to stay in the Premier League in the past 15 years (except one good season), to 7th be less than acceptable?

Comments like these rightly give rise to people calling our fan base deluded and entitled.

I fully agree that, if we can, why not aim for 6th, 5th or 4th. But to say thinking finishing 7th or 8th is not acceptable or bed wetting is crazy talk.

Finishing 7th and maybe sneaking into Europe would see a marked improvement in on field performances, in addition to the off field improvements and increase to commercials.

18 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Yes, I was. Since 1995/1996.

You didn't say the ceiling was 4th.

You said 4th should be the goal, with 5th or 6th would be the new 'acceptable' which I think is complete nonsense. 

How on earth would going from being a team that has struggled to stay in the Premier League in the past 15 years (except one good season), to 7th be less than acceptable?

Comments like these rightly give rise to people calling our fan base deluded and entitled.

I fully agree that, if we can, why not aim for 6th, 5th or 4th. But to say thinking finishing 7th or 8th is not acceptable or bed wetting is crazy talk.

Finishing 7th and maybe sneaking into Europe would see a marked improvement in on field performances, in addition to the off field improvements and increase to commercials.

4th place says hi ;)

Just now, JumpersForGoalposts said:

4th place says hi ;)

Well, if we finish 4th I'll be delighted, and I'll be in Europe drinking with you!

But I stand by what I said. Suggesting 7th is unacceptable (and that 5th/6th is the new acceptable) is crazy.

You also referred to me saying YOU are everything wrong with the fan base. 

I didn't say that. I said your comment was. There's a difference.

60 points target.

We need at home 8 more wins & no more draws (24 points to go)

We need away from home 5 more wins & 0 more draws (15 points to go)

We're back in credit for the first time since the Palace/Bournemouth draws. 

Based on last season's league table, Aston Villa has changed from 3 points needed, to 0 to reach 60.

On track for 62 points now if we go on the basis pre-season of needing to beat last season's bottom 11 and drawing with 6th to 8th at home, and needing to beat last season's bottom 7 and drawing with the rest of the bottom half and 10th to reach 60.

Nottingham Forest (H)- 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 60 points)

Brighton (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 61 points)

Manchester City (H) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Wolves (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Liverpool (A) - 0 points required - 0 points won (On track for 62 points)

Crystal Palace (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 60 points)

Bournemouth (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 58 points)

Fulham (A) - 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 58 points)

Brentford (H) - 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 58 points)

Manchester United (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 59 points)

Everton (H) - 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 59 points)

Spurs (A) - 0 points required - 3 points won (On track for 62 points)

Aston Villa (H) - 3 points required

Southampton (A) - 3 points required

Chelsea (H) - 0 points required

Leicester (A) - 0 points required

Leeds (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (A) - 0 points required

Fulham (H) - 3 points required

Crystal Palace (A) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

West Ham (H) - 3 points required (originally 1 point)

Bournemouth (A) - 3 points required

Liverpool (H) - 0 points required

Brighton (H) - 3 points required

Man City (A) - 0 points required

Wolves (H) - 3 points required

Nottingham Forest (A) - 3 points required

Manchester United (H) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

Brentford (A) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

Aston Villa (A) - 0 points required (originally 3)

Spurs (H) - 0 points required

Everton (A) - 3 points required

Southampton (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (H) - 0 points required

Leeds (A) - 3 points required

Leicester (H) - 3 points required (was 1 point)

Chelsea (A) - 0 points required

West Ham (A) - 0 points required

Edited by Optimistic Nut

This may need recalibrating for 65 points.

My fantastic fact of the day is that we have played 11 of the top 14, i.e., everyone bar ourselves Arsenal and Chelsea.

Out of the bottom 7, we've only played two teams, Forest and Wolves.

Of the six games we've played against the top nine, five of them were away. Aside from Man City, every top team still has come to SJP.

It's in our hands boys and girls.

Just now, Mazzy said:

The next 2 games have become massive. Beating Spurs means so much less if we don't get minimum 4 points from the next Villa/Southampton and that's being pessimistic, 6 points is obviously the aim.

It gives us a freebie I reckon. There's going to be one or two games we lose over the course of the season which we wouldn't expect.