Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

I've woken up in a bit of a funny mood this morning and with some inexplicable anxiety. Like I can't really come to terms with what's happening most recently and with what's happened in such a short space of time, post-Ashley. I really wasn't expecting the season we're having so far; it's like it's caught me off guard a bit and I'm looking at the table like a rabbit in the headlights.

Five minutes ago I was feeling smug and vengeful when we lost; now I'm wrestling with the conflicted feeling about us potentially qualifying for the Champions League: a competition I've got very little/zero time for, but the fact we're going for it demonstrates our transition into everything I've ever wanted us to be (ambitious/a team that tries/etc).

Meanwhile there's the juxtaposition of us performing incredibly on the pitch but still facing justified questioning about issues off it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy; it's all just a bit mad. 

I can't help staring at the league table. 

One thing's for sure, tho, I'm either going to have to bin my snide TV or turn off the beer fridge. 

If I got the wife to do a topless dance and served meself a free half with every pint if would be like matchdays in the Entertainers era

Should definitely be aiming for top four IMO. If there's any chance of it it supercharges progress and plugs loads of issues with FFP and 'Market Value' sponsorship deals.

Obviously it's not likely considering the squad depth but it has to be the aim. You fall short and it's still a great season in 7th.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I didn't expect us to get that result yesterday and as a result its making me ponder what we could actually achieve this season in terms of league position. I'm trying to be adamant with myself that we won't finish in the top 6 as I can't see which big 6 side we'll finish above of. But we have 3 league games left before the World Cup and we should be winning 2 of them, wouldn't put winning all 3 past us given our home form. Then we come back after the World Cup with hopefully our injured players back away at a Leicester side who in spite of their result yesterday have been awful this season, then home to Leeds who've been struggling then away at Arsenal and home to Fulham in January with the window open. 

I'm constantly trying to convince myself top 6 is not happening, but Christ it's hard not to be optimistic. :lol:

In terms of which traditional/usual top six sides we might finish above, we have a draw and a win in two of the away games; alongside a very harsh late defeat against a struggling (by their standards) Liverpool side. Win a couple, or three!, of the home games against those three and who knows. I’d also fancy us to take 3 or 4 points off Chelsea. Only Man City and Arsenal look out of reach at the moment. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've woken up in a bit of a funny mood this morning and with some inexplicable anxiety. Like I can't really come to terms with what's happening most recently and with what's happened in such a short space of time, post-Ashley. I really wasn't expecting the season we're having so far; it's like it's caught me off guard a bit and I'm looking at the table like a rabbit in the headlights.

Five minutes ago I was feeling smug and vengeful when we lost; now I'm wrestling with the conflicted feeling about us potentially qualifying for the Champions League: a competition I've got very little/zero time for, but the fact we're going for it demonstrates our transition into everything I've ever wanted us to be (ambitious/a team that tries/etc).

Meanwhile there's the juxtaposition of us performing incredibly on the pitch but still facing justified questioning about issues off it.

I think these are going to be our most enjoyable times as fans. 

Unfortunately expectations will rise and that feel good atmosphere will disappear if we have a single bad season.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Should definitely be aiming for top four IMO. If there's any chance of it it supercharges progress and plugs loads of issues with FFP and 'Market Value' sponsorship deals.

Obviously it's not likely considering the squad depth but it has to be the aim. You fall short and it's still a great season in 7th.

Finishing top 4 would be beyond my wildest dreams. But I've no objection to trying for 4th. Any European football of any kind would be real progress.

Looking at our squad now (not first XI), what do you think is required to challenge in both Europe and the league?

For me, probably a LB (Burn as 3rd CB), Target as 2nd choice LB, a DM, a CM/AM and a winger.

That'd give us Bruno, Jonjo, Big Joe, Willock, a DM and a Madison type player to pick from.

27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yorkie man. I’m sure we’re the same

person at times [emoji38]

I am finding it really strange supporting the club at this moment.

I feel like I have imposter syndrome, supporting us to the Nth degree like I did 10+ years ago. It’s a very very strange feeling. I just never thought

A) I’d get the feeling back and

B) we would be challenging the top 6 in such a short space of time. 

Surreal.

Side note. I had this conversation on Wednesday with my dad’s mates (one of whom has been going since 1968) and I’ll roll it out onto the forum.

Is this the best back 5 (including Pope) Newcastle have had in living memory?

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Side note. I had this conversation on Wednesday with my dad’s mates (one of whom has been going since 1968) and I’ll roll it out onto the forum.

Possibly yes. We've only played with this back 5 for..5 or 6 games? A bit early to tell really. 

29 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

In terms of which traditional/usual top six sides we might finish above, we have a draw and a win in two of the away games; alongside a very harsh late defeat against a struggling (by their standards) Liverpool side. Win a couple, or three!, of the home games against those three and who knows. I’d also fancy us to take 3 or 4 points off Chelsea. Only Man City and Arsenal look out of reach at the moment. 

Whilst I think Arsenal are the real deal this year it will be interesting if they don't get a win against Forest (but lets be honest you'd have to be really bad not to beat Forest this year) as to whether they would do an Arsenal and go on a 5-6 run of iffy results

24 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I think these are going to be our most enjoyable times as fans. 

Unfortunately expectations will rise and that feel good atmosphere will disappear if we have a single bad season.

Agreed. The journey to the top is always better than the status quo of being at the top. 

That’s not to say you can’t have brilliant days when you’re an established top team, but right now EVERY win is great. A hard-fought, not that exciting, 1-0 home win over a mid-table team like Everton won’t feel like it did last week in 5 years time I suspect.

That’s why I say we really need to savour the feeling at the moment, especially if you’re lucky enough to get to games, as it won’t always be like this. 

30 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Yorkie man. I’m sure we’re the same

person at times [emoji38]

I am finding it really strange supporting the club at this moment.

I feel like I have imposter syndrome, supporting us to the Nth degree like I did 10+ years ago. It’s a very very strange feeling. I just never thought

A) I’d get the feeling back and

B) we would be challenging the top 6 in such a short space of time. 

Surreal.

Yeah imposter syndrome is a good comparison in terms of the emotion. :thup:

I'm not back to how I was pre-Ashley like, I dunno if I ever will be. The damage he did and the things he opened my eyes to maybe can't be undone. He (and the way football has gone tbf) made me fall out of love with the game a bit. Add to that the whole Saudi thing which is definitely holding me back a bit and I'm probably maxing out at about 75% at the moment, but I'll take it.

Not feeling any imposter syndrome though, I think back to the successful seasons we've had - 11/12 being the main one - and the running theme with good results and good finishes in the circumstances was that we were underdogs punching above our weight. I watch us under Howe and I don't feel that way at all, we're outplaying teams, dominating them, dominating possession, creating chance after chance and playing good football.

The only element of imposter syndrome we have is with some of the players we have maybe 'overperforming' akin to Guthrie, Taylor, Best, and Perch in 11/12, but the difference is that they're performing so well within a team that's dominating rather than rolling with the punches. That's all credit to them, Howe, and the coaching staff. 

I think if we bring in better players again on the level of Bruno and Botman, and continue performing like this, I think the imposter syndrome will go. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, BlazeT44 said:

Finishing top 4 would be beyond my wildest dreams. But I've no objection to trying for 4th. Any European football of any kind would be real progress.

Looking at our squad now (not first XI), what do you think is required to challenge in both Europe and the league?

For me, probably a LB (Burn as 3rd CB), Target as 2nd choice LB, a DM, a CM/AM and a winger.

That'd give us Bruno, Jonjo, Big Joe, Willock, a DM and a Madison type player to pick from.

Don't get me wrong - I'm loving where we are in the league - but ask me if this will last - then I have to honestly answer - No. We'll no doubt finish top half - where - any ones guess.

Reasoning for my slightly negative answer is, that whilst we seem to have a decent, and can fall back on people, defence, the front line consists of one person - Wilson (at present) for the person to score the goals. Yes, Miggy has added a few, but if you look at other teams they have attackers in depth - which is something we don't. I think it will be a time will tell answer for Isak, hopefully he'll be the real deal, but in January if we want to 'really' be pressing for that top 6 finish then at least 3 new players are needed. An attacking Midfielder / forward, and two 'wing players'.

A lot of it will come down to injuries. If we can keep most of our purples fit for the rest of the season ( :yao:) I think the top 4 is within reach.

We play less games than our competition and we'll probably improve the squad in Jan. I never expected us to challenge for the top positions so soon, but why not? We're 4th after with a third of the season gone. Let's have a real go at it.

The frustrating thing despite a wonderful start is that we arguably should have at least 3 more points (Liverpool 1, Palace 2). Bournemouth we didn't play well and didn't deserve to win, but I suppose we were lucky to get a point at Brighton (we did score a perfectly good goal that day too).

Top 4 is out of the question I would think, but if we can pick up 5-7 points before the World Cup I would start to think about Europe. I'd be delighted with the Conference League tbh, but Europa isn't out of reach. Still very early days but we've been in more or less every game we've played since the Cambridge cup game, except Spurs away last season. Have to pinch myself when I say this but we're actually really good now.

Was saying to the wife yesterday, with it being Newcastle, I'm just waiting for it to go wrong :lol: Thankfully, we are in fantastic hands on and off the pitch, so it (probably) won't, but after 30 years of near-misses and good times never lasting so long, it's ingrained in me to panic. Will maybe take a few years for that feeling to go.

That being said, I'm over the fucking moon that my kids should support an NUFC that competes to be the best they can. It will be crazy to think they should hopefully never have to worry about being relegated and penny pinching anymore. Magic.

EDIT: completely erased that 5-0 thumping at Man City from my head last season too. Woops.

Edited by Chicken Dancer

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Dad will look through rose tinted specs and say something like McFaul, Craig, Clark, Moncur and McNamee or someone.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dad will look through rose tinted specs and say something like McFaul, Craig, Clark, Moncur and McNamee or someone.

Could well be a close debate…but as the season progresses it will be interesting…

We’re currently on course to have our best PL defensive record.

95-96 we conceded 37 in 38 games. 

Fewest league goals conceded in a season was 33 in 34 matches in 1904-1905 when we won the league.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Early stages but yeah. It massively helps because of the way we play though, the Rafa back 5 was very good but constantly tested, the back 5 under Keegan had obvious flaws but was rarely tested.