Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

Five thirty eight reckon Liverpool will finish third with 70 points. They have CL as 68 points. I think that's a bit low, but with at least seven teams in the running, the points total will come down as they take points off each other. If Brighton buy a goalscorer or Welbeck hits a purple patch, it's eight teams.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Since Jan 1, Eddie Howe is P 30 W16 D8 L6 F43 A29 points 56. That's 1.86 pts a game, which translates to a 71 point season.

Under Howe so far, Chris Wood has played in more games than Callum Wilson. We now have Isak and Botman, a better keeper, and an in-form Miggy.

It mightn't happen, but it's certainly possible, and that's before any money is spent in January.

7 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'm at a 9 for top 7; only 7th at the end of the season would be disappointing as things stand, bearing in mind we're still missing Isak and ASM and have a potentially big Jan window incoming. 4th is the new target for me now, with 5/6th being the new 'acceptable'.

No way anyone could claim 7th was dissapointing surely? 

We were odds on to be relegated less than a year ago. 5th would be a ridiculous achievement never mind 'acceptable' :lol:

:lol: 5th or 6th 'acceptable'. I'd love it and I hope we can stay in the mix to finish higher but to say 7th would already be disappointing is mad. We'd need every possible star to align to start overtaking any of those clubs already.

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Yeah I’d be absolutely buzzing with 7th and a conference league tour. 

Would genuinely fancy us to win it next year too :lol: 

As if we have a right to finish above someone like Spurs, Man U or Liverpool yet or any time for that matter. :lol:

There will no doubt be other teams (for example West Ham) that have a run of form, and we will also likely have a spell of poorer results, so it's a little presumptuous to dismiss all teams that aren't currently within leap frogging distance of us. 

For West Ham in particular, they will likely have the same mindset as us; to be within touching distance come the world cup. If they've coughed and spluttered their way to the world cup but remain thereabouts, then they'll be a threat for the remainder of the season IMO. 

4 hours ago, Jaqen said:

No way anyone could claim 7th was dissapointing surely? 

We were odds on to be relegated less than a year ago. 5th would be a ridiculous achievement never mind 'acceptable' :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree that 7th would be great after last year and the Ashley years, but expectations change with time, and the target for the team right now should be 4th, looking at our strength relative to the other contenders.

That is absolutely not to denigrate the efforts of Howe and the players, more a reflection of how far we've come and what we realistically can achieve.

No more grim acceptance like we had to do for the Ashley years.

If we do well in these next few games then that sets us up really well for the second segment of the season. Lets be honest you’d expect good results against Villa and Saints and then one last hoorah against Chelsea before the World Cup where we may have a fitter Saint Max available. 

You just wonder if we go into January 5th or 6th what impact that might have on the window. Potential players would be looking thinking “that’s a great opportunity” and the club might really push to add some more quality. 

Our defence is solid but the attack has really got close to its potential due to injury. Exciting to think what we could do from the end of December with Saint and Isak and potentially some additions. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Think we’re probably the team that will benefit most from the winter break, too, because of the impact Howe’s methods continue to have on the lesser players in the group. Massively confident on 7th now.

33 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I wholeheartedly agree that 7th would be great after last year and the Ashley years, but expectations change with time, and the target for the team right now should be 4th, looking at our strength relative to the other contenders.

That is absolutely not to denigrate the efforts of Howe and the players, more a reflection of how far we've come and what we realistically can achieve.

No more grim acceptance like we had to do for the Ashley years.

We aren’t ready for 4th whilst we still have the likes of Murphy and Longstaff playing most weeks, not to mention the likes of Wood still coming off the bench. 7th which is where we will probably finish is still a brilliant season.

8th would be good.

7th would be very very good/amazing.

6th or above would be wow Jesus good!

Not following Watford and Burnley desperately is great as hell itself.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Finishing 10th would be a huge letdown.

This! Despite what players and Eddie say I’m sure they would be disappointed with 10th, maybe even 9th. They are winners. Game by game.

Edited by Ikon

19 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'm at a 9 for top 7; only 7th at the end of the season would be disappointing as things stand, bearing in mind we're still missing Isak and ASM and have a potentially big Jan window incoming. 4th is the new target for me now, with 5/6th being the new 'acceptable'.

This is just fucking nuts and in my opinion encapsulates everything wrong with a percentage of our fan base, post takeover.

Just be thankful we're doing well, on the up and progressing.