57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Is this the best back 5 (including Pope) Newcastle have had in living memory?

It's easy to say that given your defensive record, but it would be a massive disservice to your midfield and the work they do IMO. Stick McTominay in there instead of Guimaraes or Joelinton and see how many you concede. :lol:

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

It's easy to say that given your defensive record, but it would be a massive disservice to your midfield and the work they do IMO. Stick McTominay in there instead of Guimaraes or Joelinton and see how many you concede. :lol:

I get your point, but we have also started Sean Longstaff in CM in 7 of our games this season.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Possibly right. But certainly in my life time of watching (since 2001) - I can’t think of a better centre back pairing. Woodgate was the best I’d ever seen but he was paired with the likes of Dabizas or Bramble…and had Bernard and Griffin as Full backs. 

Trippier is the best full back I’ve seen on a consistent basis. 

Pope’s kicking is poor, but his shot stopping seems as good as Given’s (early days yet…) and his commanding of the area is way better than Given.

Burn is solid at the moment, and allows us to play a back 3 at times. Offensively he isn’t great, but all in all, I can’t think of a stronger back 4 in terms of individually or as a unit.

32 minutes ago, Froggy said:

No ta 

Just had a look at what, historically, has been required for a sixth place finish; I’ve used average points per game rather than total points (just to get around the initial 42 game seasons). Graph shows this along with ppg for 1st place, 18th place and ourselves. 

1E53546D-0158-4617-9624-F41179B38DB6.thumb.jpeg.a4e2ce1131be0a0d13fd173984eda0d0.jpeg

The average ppg for sixth is 1.61 (most likely to fall between 1.51 and 1.71); the average for the Champions is 2.28 (2.11-2.45 most likely); ours is 1.36 (1.66-1.06 most likely); and relegated in 18th place was 0.94 (1.03-0.85 most likely).  

Eddie Howe’s NUFC has 1.67ppg (P39 W18 D11 L10). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's possible some of the totals might be lower given how many people take points off each other this season, but that might a statically illiterate thing to say :lol:

:thup:

It's shaping up to the be the highest quality league in my memory like. 4 points between 11th and bottom, with none of them being an obvious candidate for the drop.

You'd think it'll probably be Forest, but being bottom with 9 points from 2 wins and 3 draws in 12 still seems really, really unusual. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's ridiculous to think that at this stage in 11/12 we were on 25 points considering the difference between the quality of that team and this one. :lol: We'd only played 2 of the top 6 then though and both of them were at home and draws. 

It was all magic (Cabaye, Ba, Hatem, etc) and then worldie defensive displays (Colo, Krul)

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

It was all magic (Cabaye, Ba, Hatem, etc) and then worldie defensive displays (Colo, Krul)

Looking back, at this point in the season a lot of it was with having a really favourable run of games as well. Guthrie, Best, Taylor, and Perch all really stood up when called upon as well. HBA didn't get into the team until December time. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's possible some of the totals might be lower given how many people take points off each other this season, but that might a statically illiterate thing to say :lol:

Not at all. Look at the totals in the lockdown season. 59 points only got Everton 10th!

https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england_2021

We're now up to 1.9 points per game in the 31 league games since Jan 1.

On 24/10/2022 at 12:58, TheGuv said:

Possibly right. But certainly in my life time of watching (since 2001) - I can’t think of a better centre back pairing. Woodgate was the best I’d ever seen but he was paired with the likes of Dabizas or Bramble…and had Bernard and Griffin as Full backs. 

Trippier is the best full back I’ve seen on a consistent basis. 

Pope’s kicking is poor, but his shot stopping seems as good as Given’s (early days yet…) and his commanding of the area is way better than Given.

Burn is solid at the moment, and allows us to play a back 3 at times. Offensively he isn’t great, but all in all, I can’t think of a stronger back 4 in terms of individually or as a unit.

Could be wrong but I don’t think Woodgate was ever partnered with Dabizas.

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Could be wrong but I don’t think Woodgate was ever partnered with Dabizas.

You're right. Quick scan of .com match reports for the lineups, only ever played alongside O'Brien, Bramble and a couple games with Caldwell.

This is fun

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-bottom-premier-league-table-arsenal-top-manchester-united-third

On top of the points swing we conceded 26 goals last season vs 9 this season in the comparative games.

Also suggests that Arsenal really are the real deal and not just repeating good results from last season.

(oh and Liverpool snigger)

Think we’ll finish 8th still. But for fun I want to make the argument for why we will finish 4th.

1 No European football meaning we can concentrate fully in domestic football.

2 Howe has admitted that he still hasn’t got us up to speed yet. We’ve been so good the tbh ought of further improvement is mind blowing.

3 The World Cup. In one way it’s a negative to break momentum but I have faith in Howe to manage the fitness and mentality of our squad so that actually it should be a benefit. We get to regroup, rest and recharge as we don’t have to any players going to Qatar. With our front-foot all’s action style of play, the time off will pay dividends by the end of the season, those players playing European club football and international World Cup will surely suffer hugely from fatigue.

4 I can see Willock potentially going on a goal scoring run. He’s getting in to good positions, onvce he’s for the mark, I think he’ll go on a run.

5 Anderson playing a bigger and bigger role as the season goes on. Howe is bedding him in slowly, but he looks like he has real potential. And technically is very good.

6 with the rumour mill picking up again, it looks like we”ll be making signings in January.