The Round of 16

So 6 largely comfortable L16 wins, some of them extremely comfortable, and 2 penalty shootouts - there wasn't much middle ground involved. 7 favourites progressing, and one betting upset. Should make for some decent QFs.

Obviously the matches have slowly eased off these past 8 days, first with the 2 matches simultaneously, and then dropping to only 2 matches a day these past 4 days, but strange to think there will be no World Cup football now until Friday.

Brazil and Portugal putting in the best performances so far last two nights and I'm not even sure you can take much from it. Both opponents setup horribly and made it about as easy you could hope for. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Switzerland has been worse than shite here mind.  Portugal are a good side and they've played well, but fuck me they've been aided and abetted in this scoreline

I get that, but those goals were pretty good tbh. Portugal's next game will be interesting.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I get that, but those goals were pretty good tbh. Portugal's next game will be interesting.

Yep, all well-taken.  It is a really good Portuguese side and they play decent football - and they'll be eyeing up a semi now given the opposition.  I just hope Morocco make more of a game of it - the Swiss were embarrassing there

Just now, The Prophet said:

Nah, decent display, but there's a reason no one else talking about them pre-tournament.

That reason was Ronaldo and their set up. Now that they finally play as everyone has suggested, they win 6-1.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Nah, decent display, but there's a reason no one else talking about them pre-tournament.

The reason no one was talking about them was because no one had a clue they had Ramos or Leao up their sleeves.