The Round of 16

As a (relative) neutral, I'd much rather watch a finely poised match like this than the match being over after 10 minutes like last night, and well and truly over 15 minutes later. 5 of the last 6 knockout matches until today have largely been one sided outside of a rare burst from the clear lesser side, so it's nice to have another competitive one for a change.

Edited by Paullow

14 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

At least when Xavi and Iniesta were strutting around their midfield, the football philosophy at least made sense. Now they just play that way by default only they aren't nearly as good and it's pretty wretched to watch.

Add 2010 Pedro and Villa to this squad and it looks a lot different. Forget 2010 Villa, add Callum Wilson to this Spain squad and they start to look lot more effective. 

Just now, rgk_lfc said:

Add 2010 Pedro and Villa to this squad and it looks a lot different. Forget 2010 Villa, add Callum Wilson to this Spain squad and they start to look lot more effective. 

Good point, Villa was absolutely brilliant and would make them more dynamic and tactically flexible too

18 minutes ago, Flip said:

Were good against Germany tbf. But seems like they’re defending with possession rather than attacking tonight.

Got no issue with this...while its not exciting, I respect a clear game plan and admire the patience. 

11 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Well that's the point, they play nice football, but they don't really have much up front.

28 minutes ago, Flip said:

Were good against Germany tbf. But seems like they’re defending with possession rather than attacking tonight.

I didn't think they were that great against Germany either tbh, saime failings. Just passing the ball around sideways for a lot of the time, the build up is too slow for me.

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

This second half has been the absolute pits. Shame we're looking like we're getting another 30 minutes of this :anguish:

I’m enjoying it. Football is shit, but tense as fuck :lol: 

Spain are technically excellent at receiving and holding up the ball. Their passing is great but they completely and utterly lack creativity and really need to find other ways to play than really slowly passing it back and forth without getting in behind or breaking fast while teams are out of position 

It's not important, but do they do the coin toss again in extra time, or do they just do the ABBA system whereby one team will shoot into the same goal from 46-90 mins and 91 to 105? I assumed they'd just go back to swapping halves again. Mustn't have noticed that before.

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Spain are technically excellent at receiving and holding up the ball. Their passing is great but they completely and utterly lack creativity and really need to find other ways to play than really slowly passing it back and forth without getting in behind or breaking fast while teams are out of position 

They’ve always been imo. The 2008-2012 side bored me to death.