The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

Probably one of the worst officiating I've seen at a WC, having said that, we were the better team for large swathes of that game but failed to create many meaningful chances and the few we created, we spurned. France are dirty and got away with blue murder for most of the game and Mbappes laugh to the camera when Kane misses his penalty was indicative of the manchild he is. 

The loss against Italy last year was a bitter pill to swallow and had me devastated, I'm not even bothered by this, something about this whole world cup has been off. Argentina or Morocco ftw please.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Also, I was disappointed that Trippier lost his place to Walker but I think it was definitely the right call tonight to play Walker. He managed to track Mbappe for pace most of the time 

Tripps would have buried that Rashford free kick tbh.

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Easy to list the worst vs the best like ;) 

We’ll need to agree to disagree on this one mate - I think this is a technically gifted group of players, and I think the likes of Lampard’s and Terry’s deficiencies were masked at club level by the standard of players they played with, as well as a superb manager in his prime knowing exactly how to maximise their strengths.  The UEFA rules re ‘home’ players always means that some English players will figure in our best club sides

They're the starters in their positions for both teams. I left out Kane vs Rooney, Foden vs J Cole, Saka/Sterling vs Beckham because they're at least debatable.  I left out Walker/James/TAA/Trippier because that's the one position where you're right.

I would think anyone would agree that Terry was a better player than Maguire, Ferdinand better than Stones, Cole better than Shaw, Gerrard better than Rice, Lampard better than Bellingham - at least for the time being - and Scholes better than Henderson.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They're the starters in their positions for both teams. I left out Kane vs Rooney, Foden vs J Cole, Saka/Sterling vs Beckham because they're at least debatable.  I left out Walker/James/TAA/Trippier because that's the one position where you're right.

I would think anyone would agree that Terry was a better player than Maguire, Ferdinand better than Stones, Cole better than Shaw, Gerrard better than Rice, Lampard better than Bellingham - at least for the time being - and Scholes better than Henderson.

Agree with everything apart from Bellingham, that boy is different class

decent performance but thats about it.

again southgate makes baffling and late subs.

sterling and mount coming on - why when we have maddison, rashford ( i know he eventually came on but too late), and even a fox in the box wilson on the bench. we werent protecting a lead we were chasing the game..

and I bet the french couldnt believe their luck when he took saka off. he wasnt injured or tiring.

Edited by huss9

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ferdinand is better than any of England’s current centre halves, Cole was a world class LB, and Scholes was a superb midfielder - though of course badly used by England.

But I think Foden, Bellingham etc are more technically gifted attacking mids than Gerrard or Lampard, and I’m one of those who thinks Terry’s flaws were exposed playing for England when he didn’t play in that superb Chelsea team - protected by a world class holding midfielder, defenders and GK

I’m ok with anyone disagreeing on this (it’s not a ‘football hill’ I’d die on :)) but it’s my honest view

Edited by TheBrownBottle

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The ref was absolutely shit but I'd have completely lost my temper if we'd had that arsehole that reffed Argentina Netherlands yesterday 

He was hilariously bad mind.  There’s always at least one of those ref performances at a WC.  It made it entertaining to me, but if I was Dutch or Argentinian I’d have been apoplectic 

You don’t play Tripps because he’s the fastest right back in the game, he’s obviously got that chink in his armour, you have him in for every other attribute that 90% of that squad do not have.

Leadership, footballing intelligence, ability to read and snuff out situations before they happen, creates chances and of course once of the best free kick takers in the world.

How do you leave that out?

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

It's either incredibly thick, or peak WUM.

Incredibly thick is not hiring security when everyone knows you’re in Qatar. 

Saka played his best game for England tonight. He was absolutely terrorising them and deserved far better then getting taken off for Raheem Sterling.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

You don’t play Tripps because he’s the fastest right back in the game, he’s obviously got that chink in his armour, you have him in for every other attribute that 90% of that squad do not have.

Leadership, footballing intelligence, ability to read and snuff out situations before they happen, creates chances and of course once of the best free kick takers in the world.

How do you leave that out?

I’d have been tempted to play him LB - but I thought Walker was possibly England’s MOTM

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Ferdinand is better than any of England’s current centre halves, Cole was a world class LB, and Scholes was a superb midfielder - though of course badly used by England.

But I think Foden, Bellingham etc are more technically gifted attacking mids than Gerrard or Lampard, and I’m one of those who thinks Terry’s flaws were exposed playing for England when he didn’t play in that superb Chelsea team - protected by a world class holding midfielder, defenders and GK

I’m ok with anyone disagreeing on this (it’s not a ‘football bill’ I’d die on :)) but it’s my honest view

Terry was fucking outstanding man. Total cunt, but an extremely good footballer and defender, including for England, which can't be said for a lot of the rest.

I can't think of a time aside from Ronaldinho bodying him in 2005ish where I ever saw him let himself get exposed.

4 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

No one is surely that inept.

The FA appointed Hodgson, Alladyce and then Southgate, they're think as mince :lol:

I've added Southgate to the list as when he was appointed it was massively uninspiring and horrendous, even if I think he's done an absolutely excellent job while in post.

Edited by 54

27 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I know folks will point to the two penalties as indication that the ref was balanced, but that was the worst refereeing performance in the quarter finals. The number of niggly fouls that France got away with was insane. Upamecano or whatever his name is was wrestling down players and didn't even get a yellow card. The sheer look of disbelief on Saka's face when he finally got the foul in his favor midway into the second half told the whole story. 

English players responded to Southgate after conceding the first goal. No doubt players like him. At the same time, taking of Saka for Sterling was a mental decision. Saka was running at them, creating trouble. Grealish should have come in sooner for Henderson.

I feel for Harry Kane. That was a brilliant performance. After conceding the goal, he rallied the England attack forward, wandered to midfield and played some brilliant passes. If you look at his overall game, it was better than Mbappe. But his performance will be remembered for that miss which is cruel. 

Maguire's header attempt on goal was better than Giroud's. Maguire's kissed the post and went wide. Giroud's hit Maguire and went inside the goal. That was the difference between the two sides. 

I feel for Harry Kane. He is an elite level deep lying striker at this stage of his career, who just doesn't have the luxury of playing with a lethal clinical wide forward like an Mbappe, Salah or even his team mate at Spurs Son.

Foden and Saka are world class talents, but they aren't that sort of player, and Sterling is more of a traditional winger IMO. The closest thing England has to that type of player is Rashford but he isn't anywhere near the level required.

I would have seriously considered playing Kane as an out and out support striker with our own Callum Wilson ahead of him. Think he'd benefit massively from having a quick all around striker ahead of him that runs in behind and runs the channels.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Terry was fucking outstanding man. Total cunt, but an extremely good footballer and defender, including for England, which can't be said for a lot of the rest.

I can't think of a time aside from Ronaldinho bodying him in 2005ish where I ever saw him let himself get exposed.

Honestly, that’s fair enough - I just disagree, though not vehemently or owt.  English football has a long history of overrating its GKs and CBs I think - though I do think Ferdinand was a superb defender