The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Messi or nothing now, I'm sure you agree.

I can’t. I love Messi, but there’s few things that disgusts me as much as the rest of the Argentinian players. There’s no grace to any of them.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Frustrating evening that like but fine margins matter so much at this level. Can’t be missing pens unfortunately.

People hate to admit how much elite sport comes down to luck and variance. 

We need a scapegoat like Kane. Or to blame Southgate for somehow being out-coached. Whilst simultaneously also being in charge of the better team on the night.

But then not really looking at the incidents that come down to about six inches (Al Pacino - Any Given Sunday).

It is what it is. I like this England team and I think we played well. Unlike the Croatia and Italy defeats.  

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

His performance of manager is deceiving. We got to a semi-final and final by the luck of the draw. Both times we lost as soon as we came up against a decent team, in fact in the World Cup we lost to Belgium in the group stages. Anytime we play someone decent we lose, even the Nations League shows this.

He should be sacked as he’s not good enough, but aside from Howe, who do we actually have who can manage England?

Under Southgate we've reached a World Cup semi-final and were European Cup runners up by virtue of a penalty shootout. He's one of our most successful managers of all time.

If someone who can progress the side is available so be it, ask him to step aside, but he should not be sacked after a defeat to the reining world champions by the narrowest of margins.

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Proud of the team though. Showed we can mix it with the best. Arguably the better side too. Southgate set them up well.

We regularly show we can mix it but Southgate just doesn’t get results like Eddie does when alls said and done

I just feel in a world cup of 5 subs we massively underused our squad.

Rather then hold back and save energy we could have put teams to the sword for a full 90 mins.

Maddison, grealish, Rashford Gallagher, Wilson and more all there in our tool box

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

We regularly show we can mix it but Southgate just doesn’t get results like Eddie does when alls said and done

No we don't, we always look second best against the top sides. Tonight they looked and played like they thought they could win.

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

People hate to admit how much elite sport comes down to luck and variance. 

We need a scapegoat like Kane. Or to blame Southgate for somehow being out-coached. Whilst simultaneously also being in charge of the better team on the night.

But then not really looking at the incidents that come down to about six inches (Al Pacino - Any Given Sunday).

It is what it is. I like this England team and I think we played well. Unlike the Croatia and Italy defeats.  

Aye couldn’t agree more.

Nevermind the pen, who knows where Giroud’s header goes if it doesn’t smack off Maguire? Hernandez has something similar with Saka and it flashes wide. 

Makes it even more frustrating mind. 

Just now, tomlynnherrington said:

If only Goofy hadn’t gone along with the media’s campaign to get Walker in the team and Trippy out the team,he would have had Trippy on the pitch for that last minute free kick.

I thought Walker handled Mbappe well, tbh.  Trippier struggles with pace, though when Rashford stood over that ball I went to make a cup of tea, knew where that was going

1 minute ago, Caleb70 said:

I think it is time for a manager change now mind. Imagine a good manager in 4 years with: Foden, Saka, Bellingham etc. 

Nee way, we need to keep Southgate hes done a cracking job

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Saka off for Sterling is lunacy. Sterling shouldn’t be anywhere near, let alone replacing our best player on the night.

Are you aware of Sterling's record for England? Granted I wouldn't have taken Saka off - bad decision - but I'd have brought Sterling on.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Under Southgate we've reached a World Cup semi-final and were European Cup runners up by virtue of a penalty shootout. He's one of our most successful managers of all time.

If someone who can progress the side is available so be it, ask him to step aside, but he should not be sacked after a defeat to the reining world champions by the narrowest of margins.

The thing is though like I said he got there because of the luck of the draw. If previous England managers got those draws we would have got as far or further. If a better manager got those draws then we would probably have went further.

If we got those tough teams earlier would we have went out? Well the evidence says we would. Like I said even in the World Cup we got beaten by Belgium, but got through because it was the group dragged, then lost again to them in the 3rd play off place.

I've watched quite a few England exits from major championships, and I'm usually frustrated at our performance, but on this occasion I feel we gave our best and were just unlucky. It was an even game, and we matched a top side.

The first French goal should not have stood and we should have had another penalty of course. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Saka off for Sterling is lunacy. Sterling shouldn’t be anywhere near, let alone replacing our best player on the night.

That substitution was just crazy.  Pretty much all the attacking play was coming via Saka, he was causing France problems constantly.  He should have been the last player to be subbed off.