The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

Just now, UncleBingo said:

That's fucking bollocks mind.

A clear foul in the build up to their first goal and on Kane in the 1st half alone.

If that was a Newcastle game, you would be fuming.

You’re right that I would be far less amenable to those calls re NUFC.  The foul on Kane was outside the area so couldn’t be brought back - so I wouldn’t be as upset about that.  I’d be just as annoyed with Henderson and Walker for that first goal as anyone else

The next England manager is already part of the set up unless Howe/Potter express an interest which I doubt. That’s the way the FA decided to do things after the Iceland defeat and they won’t steer away from it. 

15 minutes ago, Ste said:

The next England manager is already part of the set up unless Howe/Potter express an interest which I doubt. That’s the way the FA decided to do things after the Iceland defeat and they won’t steer away from it. 

Struggling to comprehend how funny it’d be if they gave the job to Lee Carsley.

And yes i obviously had to look up who was the current u21s coach.

I've always been dubious about Rice and his ultra-conservative approach but tonight he looked a lot more positive and got the ball going forward far more often. 

But our MOM was Saka, who unfortunately only got half the number of free kicks that he deserved.

I know folks will point to the two penalties as indication that the ref was balanced, but that was the worst refereeing performance in the quarter finals. The number of niggly fouls that France got away with was insane. Upamecano or whatever his name is was wrestling down players and didn't even get a yellow card. The sheer look of disbelief on Saka's face when he finally got the foul in his favor midway into the second half told the whole story. 

English players responded to Southgate after conceding the first goal. No doubt players like him. At the same time, taking of Saka for Sterling was a mental decision. Saka was running at them, creating trouble. Grealish should have come in sooner for Henderson.

I feel for Harry Kane. That was a brilliant performance. After conceding the goal, he rallied the England attack forward, wandered to midfield and played some brilliant passes. If you look at his overall game, it was better than Mbappe. But his performance will be remembered for that miss which is cruel. 

Maguire's header attempt on goal was better than Giroud's. Maguire's kissed the post and went wide. Giroud's hit Maguire and went inside the goal. That was the difference between the two sides. 

25 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Will be interested to see if Southgate stays or goes…I could see the logic either way. I don’t think he’s necessarily deserving of the sack, and he certainly deserved to bring the team into this WC. Might just be time for a change.

Agree - no way should he be sacked. He's done a fantastic job overall. I wouldn't be opposed to freshening it up though if the right manager came along - Christ knows who could take it mind.

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They are - but Sterling has been out of form for some time.  

Yeah, I think we can all agree that John Stones, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, and Jordan Henderson are better players than Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard,  Frank Lampard, and Paul Scholes were.

Howeh.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah, I think we can all agree that John Stones, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, and Jordan Henderson are better players than Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard,  Frank Lampard, and Paul Scholes were.

Howeh.

Easy to list the worst vs the best like ;) 

We’ll need to agree to disagree on this one mate - I think this is a technically gifted group of players, and I think the likes of Lampard’s and Terry’s deficiencies were masked at club level by the standard of players they played with, as well as a superb manager in his prime knowing exactly how to maximise their strengths.  The UEFA rules re ‘home’ players always means that some English players will figure in our best club sides

1 minute ago, Ste said:

Well they did go for Allardyce first but I think you're right; you'd think the next England manager is going to be 'grown' in the same way Southgate was via his work in youth development, the creation of St George's Park and managing the Under-21s.

No idea who it is though; Carsley? One of Southgate's current coaches? I wouldn't be astonished if someone like Henderson was being groomed to come in after the Euros. He's been a regular in the set up since pre-St George's. Maybe they'd try and get Rooney involved. 

20 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Aside from the fact a grown man and multimillionaire didn’t have the foresight to hire security for a few grand when every criminal in Britain knew he was 2 continents away, what the fuck did he go home for? To rebuild his barber shop or check his Rolexes were still there or what? 

Likely his last WC and the manager has shown more faith in him than anyone in his career. It’s baffling.

He went to check on his family. Christ man, who even thinks like this.