The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

Just now, Interpolic said:

Don't have much sympathy for Tite but his and Luis Enrique's departures illustrate the razor thin margins in international tournament football. Clearly Spain and Brazil drawing against Morocco and Croatia respectively wasn't good enough for those nations but either could have won their shootout and gone on to win the whole thing, particularly Brazil.

It's brutal and I think you'd lower the stakes in these knockout games immeasurably if the World Cup was switched to every 2 years. 

Not to go on, but this is why I find criticism of Southgate a bit much sometimes. It’s no guarantee to breeze past supposedly weaker teams, the fact that we’ve consistently managed it over his tenure shouldn’t be taken for granted.

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Not to go on, but this is why I find criticism of Southgate a bit much sometimes. It’s no guarantee to breeze past supposedly weaker teams, the fact that we’ve consistently managed it over his tenure shouldn’t be taken for granted.

I think we've got one of the world's best strikers which makes that a bit easier. Some of these sides play nicer football but they don't have much cutting edge.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think we've got one of the world's best strikers which makes that a bit easier. Some of these sides play nicer football but they don't have much cutting edge.

Agreed actually, Spain and Germany in particular seem to have given up on the idea of a striker which has cost them over recent tournaments 

Fuck it hurts. Knowing Tuesday could’ve been a fucking stormer for everyone that loves the sport. Conceded one shot on goal to three European sides in 300minutes of football and still went out.