The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

If Spurs lose at the weekend it's comfortably the most Spurs thing that's ever happened. Sheff United winning is nigh on inconceivable 

premier-league-aleksandar-mitrovic-newca

It's not impossible that Sheff U go infront early on against Spurs, they've done it recently against Forrest, ourselves and Man Utd. That would at least make it interesting for a brief moment! But if they actually go on and beat Spurs it would be totally ridiculous stuff. 

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

If Spurs lose at the weekend it's comfortably the most Spurs thing that's ever happened. Sheff United winning is nigh on inconceivable 

I remember that already relegated side who beat them 5-1 on the final game of the season. Meaning that Arsenal finished second and they finished third. 

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I remember that already relegated side who beat them 5-1 on the final game of the season. Meaning that Arsenal finished second and they finished third. 

So do I, it pales in comparison to losing to this Sheff United side at home.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Am I right in saying a draw tonight and a Chelsea loss pretty much guarantees us 6th?

No because Chelsea could win at the weekend and us lose/draw. 

6th is guaranteed if we win and Chelsea lose

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Am I right in saying a draw tonight and a Chelsea loss pretty much guarantees us 6th?

Nah would have to be a win and a Chelsea loss

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Assuming we don't lose 10-0 or something on the last day [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Technically not but virtually assured as there would have to be a 12+ swing in goal difference on the last day.

A big part of me genuinely wants you to do this as a lot of you are good lads and we absolutely do not deserve it. :lol:

Then again some of you are bastards so I really want to finish above you. 

Just cannot see it tonight mind. Zero chance without Bruno Fernandes, slim chance if we have him. 

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

A big part of me genuinely wants you to do this as a lot of you are good lads and we absolutely do not deserve it. :lol:

Just cannot see it tonight mind. Zero chance without Bruno Fernandes, slim chance if we have him. 

You might be slightly more confident given that we don’t seem to have a fit striker (again). 

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

You might be slightly more confident given that we don’t seem to have a fit striker (again). 

You could have Disco up front and I'd have zero confidence. 

20 minutes ago, Froggy said:

In all fairness I couldn’t give a fuck if you or Chelsea finish 7th. I want to finish as high as possible and get back into Europe.

Posted (edited)

Remember last season when people said Newcastle only got CL because teams like Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool were shit? They all improved this season, yet 5th place will get 66 pts max (67 pts last season), and Villa will get top 4 with a worse result than what we got. In a season with 3 really bad bottom teams. What people allways seem to forget is that while some teams like Liverpool will come back, others like Man Utd will drop down again. It happens every season, yet people often expect every top club to improve before each season, and for none of the top clubs to go backwards.

Edited by Erikse

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Remember last season when people said Newcastle only got CL because teams like Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool were shit? They all improved this season, yet 5th place will get 66 pts max (67 pts last season), and Villa will get top 4 with a worse result than what we got. In a season with 3 really bad bottom teams. What people allways seem to forget is that while some teams like Liverpool will come back, others like Man Utd will drop down again. It happens every season, yet people often expect every top club to improve before each season, and for none of the top clubs to go backwards.

Spot on. I made a long post at the start of the year along the lines of "there's always 2 of the big six in crisis". 

You can absolutely rely on one or two imploding, simply because 2 of the teams can't be in the top 4, therefore by extention are deemed to be failing (Spurs can get away with a couple of top 6 finishes).

This year its crisis city centre for Man United, Chelsea (until late), last year it was Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs for parts of the season. You'd put good money on Liverpool dropping back next year, Villa having to deal with extra work load, will Spurs kick on? I doubt it.

The only thing I can say with some certainty is that Arsenal and City will be 1 and 2... and that Chelsea will be much improved.

In short, don't worry about what other clubs are up to, they will always cut each others throats. 

Edited by STM

Posted (edited)

Loosely related but it's also why I see no point in getting hung up over 'if only' thoughts that I've seen popping up more and more now we've given ourselves a hail Mary chance of 5th. Every other team will have had moments they can point to as well that would've meant they were in the mixer higher in the table than they are. If we had less injuries or more consistent away form, who's to say x club wouldn't have had less injuries too or y club wouldn't have also been more consistent and cohesive also? I'm just delighted we've continued putting up that fight, and pray to God we continue that tonight. 

Edited by wormy