The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

33 minutes ago, wormy said:

Loosely related but it's also why I see no point in getting hung up over 'if only' thoughts that I've seen popping up more and more now we've given ourselves a hail Mary chance of 5th. Every other team will have had moments they can point to as well that would've meant they were in the mixer higher in the table than they are. If we had less injuries or more consistent away form, who's to say x club wouldn't have had less injuries too or y club wouldn't have also been more consistent and cohesive also? I'm just delighted we've continued putting up that fight, and pray to God we continue that tonight. 

If only, god was real.

18 minutes ago, astraguy said:

We need a point at least for the final day fight right?

We can still finish 6th even if we lose tonight, but match Chelsea's results. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We can still finish 6th even if we lose tonight, but match Chelsea's results. 

ah yea we have a better g/d then man utd on the final day

1 hour ago, STM said:

Spot on. I made a long post at the start of the year along the lines of "there's always 2 of the big six in crisis". 

You can absolutely rely on one or two imploding, simply because 2 of the teams can't be in the top 4, therefore by extention are deemed to be failing (Spurs can get away with a couple of top 6 finishes).

This year its crisis city centre for Man United, Chelsea (until late), last year it was Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs for parts of the season. You'd put good money on Liverpool dropping back next year, Villa having to deal with extra work load, will Spurs kick on? I doubt it.

The only thing I can say with some certainty is that Arsenal and City will be 1 and 2... and that Chelsea will be much improved.

In short, don't worry about what other clubs are up to, they will always cut each others throats. 

This is also why people need to not freak out in seasons we don't qualify for the CL. If you add us and Villa to the mix then every season half of the clubs who feel like they are CL caliber will not qualify. And half of those that miss out will miss out on Europe altogether. (pending cup winners and extra Euro places of course)

It's a different world now and the only way you can safely assume a Champions League place is if you are a genuine title challenger.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This is also why people need to not freak out in seasons we don't qualify for the CL. If you add us and Villa to the mix then every season half of the clubs who feel like they are CL caliber will not qualify. And half of those that miss out will miss out on Europe altogether. (pending cup winners and extra Euro places of course)

It's a different world now and the only way you can safely assume a Champions League place is if you are a genuine title challenger.

Happy to ‘beef-up’ on lesser European competitions and wait until we are Champions for another pop at Champions League. 

3 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

We’ll just win the Europa League next season and get the Champions League spot that way 

Winning a trophy you say :yao:

So win our 2 games and we get 6th and Europa. Anything less and it's possible we end up 7th and depending on who wins the cup in the Conférence or 8th and SFA. Pretty crucial that we don’t fuck this up.

31 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Tonight isn't going our way so far.

Have a feeling it'll be done and dusted either way at 10pm

Well one half still to go but as it stands the EL is just about gone.

Extremely disappointing result obviously. A real shame after the flow we were in pre-Brighton that it's ended like this. 7th or 8th looking very likely now, which is still an achievement considering the difficulties of this season, but no less raw and disappointing.

Europa Conference would still be good like - I certainly won't be turning my nose up at it - but fuck me we threw it away.

A sorry indictment of our season when we saw these last 3 games (having given ourselves a cracking chance of EL) and doubted whether we'd be able to see it through

Not confident of 7th now. Too many times have we played like a bunch of chumps away from home this season, it's an issue Howe must sort next season.

Posted (edited)

Pointed our the poor away form already in october on here, but was told by several that it didn't have any basis, because we just happened to have done poorly in the same away fixtures the season before. But, last season we won nearly every remaining away fixture, so it was just a bad comparison that had nothing to do with this season and our away form. In the end it was the away form that screwed us (injuries aside), which was what me and some others feared at the beginning.

Edited by Erikse

I think we all got carried away by beating Burnley and Sheffield so easily despite them being two of the worst teams to ever play in this league , the last two games along with the Palace one before that have shown where we are really at and it's certainly not good enough for the top 6.

3 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Would have loved Europa but honestly couldn't give a fuck about conference

This. If we get ECL next season we have no chance of challenging for the CL places.

10 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Would take the Conference any day of the week after today, but I won't complain if we don't get it. Just not enough quality in the squad at the end of the day, Man U and Chelsea's depth counted in the end.

Not sure why people turn their nose up at conference. It's a winnable trophy where you don't even need to play a strong team until later on. Would be ideal for the likes of Miley if he doesn't go on loan. 

2 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Same, don't think playing in the conference league will attract many players

This season the group stages was made up of

England (Aston Villa)

Scotland (Aberdeen)

France (Lille)

Italy (Fiorentina)

Germany (Frankfurt)

Holland (AZ)

Belgium x2 (Brugge & Genk)

Switzerland