The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, madras said:

It is but thems the rules.

Yeah like I said yesterday that is the way it should be done as imo ultimately they came to the correct decision. If that penalty had been given against us people would be up in arms screaming about it hitting his leg. 
the issue I have with the clear and obvious pish is for example that Liverpool penalty v Fulham, like today that ref should have been over at the monitor looking at that.

Reckon that's top 4 done for us. If we can't beat Arsenal on our own patch how are we meant to get 6 points against Leeds, Leicester, Brighton and Chelsea?

Also Man Utd and Liverpools fixtures are easy, the opposition might as well not turn up, so they can put Eddie's Mags out of their misery.

We are also missing Longstaff, which is like Brazil missing Pele.

baby eye GIF

Right that's me done being a cunt. Can we all start to stick together now? Eddie and the boys won't let us down and we will smash every team for the rest of the season. HWTL.

Manure have a slightly more difficult run in than Liverpool. They also don't look like scoring in a month of Sundays. We're still in a good position and we played well in parts yesterday and more than matched one of the best sides in Europe. But for a couple of off-days from our key players, we could have gotten a result.

We're more than capable of winning all of our remaining games imo. We just need to cut out the ridiculous mistakes.

If Longstaff is out for the season that does present a challenge. Our midfield hasn't seemed to click yet without him in it. Not many games left to experiment but I'm confident Howe will find a solution against Leeds

I honestly think we’ll go into the Leicester game knowing that either a draw or at worst, a win will guarantee Champions League football, that is assuming Liverpool don’t slip up between now and then.

11 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

You can quite clearly see, from every angle, that his shorts move as it hits his knee.

It could be argued that the player's movement caused the shorts moving, it's not necessarily the ball. I'm not 100% convinced on the pen, the defender didn't protest that much at the time from what I recall.

The penalty call is hard to take because he clearly moved his hand towards where the ball was going. His intention was to block it with his hand, before his secondary reaction of ‘I can’t touch it with my hand’ kicks in. So the intent was there.

Like I say, I honestly think it would have been given the other way around, and we actually had it given against us against Brentford recently.

15 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

If Longstaff is out for the season that does present a challenge. Our midfield hasn't seemed to click yet without him in it. Not many games left to experiment but I'm confident Howe will find a solution against Leeds

Leeds are the side we should get away with it against. It's against Brighton who can play through the lines and expose the back line where he'll be most needed.

Leeds and Leicester are the two wins we need. That will make the games against Brighton and Chelsea a free hit. Beating the side with worse players is always the easier option regardless of home or away.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Leeds are the side we should get away with it against. It's against Brighton who can play through the lines and expose the back line where he'll be most needed.

Yeah Brighton are going to be a very stern test.

Thinking in terms of managers, absolutely believe that Howe has enough about him to get the points needed out of Allardyce, Smith & Lampard. We've shown even when we don't start games well he's switched on and will adjust accordingly.

I do like the fact Shearer went at him there because there’s a real issue with the likes of Gallagher and Walton backing their former colleagues to the hilt and it almost become laughable.

About time someone took umbrage with it tbh.

trying to think more positively

I Think Brighton might be the draw we need after hopefully a win v Leeds and Leicester.

I think the way Liverpool are playing they’ll drop points to Villa. Wouldn’t shock me if Leicester win today then push on and grab something v Liverpool.

man Utd look shot to bits regardless of who their fixture are against. Wolves are in good form

let’s get it done

We should have it wrapped up in the next 3 games really. A win at Leeds and we’re almost home and hosed. 6 points will probably do it bar a massive gf swing and I’d bet on us winning two of the next 3 and probably drawing one as mentioned above. 

Brighton are good but not invincible. They’ve had some odd results last month tbh. We play them under the lights on Thursday too. 

Edited by Kanji

1 hour ago, madras said:

Looks to me like it hits leg and arm simultaneously. The fact that we are having the conversation means it wasn't clear and obvious.

I think people are missing the point here - if it 'hadn't' been given as a Pen then I agree based on the VAR footage you can't give it.  However, as it was given looking at the VAR footage you can't say for certain it hits his knee.  Thereby the Ref shouldn't overrule it.  It is simple as that.  Them are the rules they should be following - 'clear and obvious' error.  I don't know how the Refs are getting such a simple concept so completely wrong.  Just look at the Man U shout - however that was the complete opposite, you can clearly see he moves his arm to the ball - Pen.  But wasn't given.

Not followed all this but it clearly came off his leg. Why is this a discussion?

We'd be fuming if that was given against us. 

20 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Brighton are good but not invincible. They’ve had some odd results last month tbh. We play them under the lights on Thursday too. 

They still have to play City (h) and Arsenal, us and Villa (a) too. All in their hands but you’d make a quick buck if you backed them to win all those games. 

We need to just bounce back against Leeds which I think we’ll do. Early goal and we’re all laughing.

3 minutes ago, duo said:

I think people are missing the point here - if it 'hadn't' been given as a Pen then I agree based on the VAR footage you can't give it.  However, as it was given looking at the VAR footage you can't say for certain it hits his knee.  Thereby the Ref shouldn't overrule it.  It is simple as that.  Them are the rules they should be following - 'clear and obvious' error.  I don't know how the Refs are getting such a simple concept so completely wrong.  Just look at the Man U shout - however that was the complete opposite, you can clearly see he moves his arm to the ball - Pen.  But wasn't given.

I think you're shouting into a void. It's absolutely pointless getting upset or fixated on a decision that ultimately was the correct one, regardless of technicalities. It hit his leg... it's quite clear from all angles. Everyone other than Alan Shearer can see it. It's literally a waste of time fixating on it.

Ironically, the players and fans anger at that decision is probably the main reason Arsenal were able to get a foothold in the game. We stopped playing our game and it became about injustice.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

They still have to play City (h) and Arsenal, us and Villa (a) too. All in their hands but you’d make a quick buck if you backed them to win all those games. 

We need to just bounce back against Leeds which I think we’ll do. Early goal and we’re all laughing.

I was just saying more about the general comments on our opponents coming up, but do agree with you. 

at this point, our form all season has shown we bounce back from defeats in a meaningful way. 

38 minutes ago, gdm said:

man Utd look shot to bits regardless of who their fixture are against. Wolves are in good form

We're about to have our first full week of rest since September, so I hope that makes a bit of difference. We've been fading badly in the second half of all our games lately.