The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, Geogaddi said:

No getting away from that fact we’ve had a brilliant season but finishing 5th now after the position we were in a few weeks ago would feel like a massive disappointment.

It'd be undeniably disappointing, but wouldn't detract from what a massive success this season has been.

Reading this thread has become as depressing as fuck.

I’m a pessimist by nature but compared to the doom mongers in here I feel like I’m actually as cheery as Mr Tumbles double dropping ten pund cowies.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It'd be undeniably disappointing, but wouldn't detract from what a massive success this season has been.

It’s probably because we are as high as 3rd with 2 wks to go and could easily drop to 6th.

If we were yo-yoing between 4-6 for last few months would probably be an easier swallow.

I didn’t fancy us in the cup final at all so wasn’t disappointed for very long. Was just pleased we got over the line regards getting into the the final.

This one however is different as the outcome changes the gear change of the club by 2 seasons IMO. So as much as I’ve been pessimistic about us since the Liverpool result we are so close regardless… ? 

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You know how people accept that the Liverpool Suarez team bottled it or Arsenal last season bottled the top 4. That would be the defining narrative of the season and a unanimous L. That sticks with teams and managers. 

Didn’t seem to hamper either of those teams in subsequent season(s).

19 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Reading this thread has become as depressing as fuck.

I’m a pessimist by nature but compared to the doom mongers in here I feel like I’m actually as cheery as Mr Tumbles double dropping ten pund cowies.

??

There are so many different scenarios in how we can make top 4. Including a defeat to Brighton at home. 

At this moment in time I would say in order our easiest games are -

1. Leicester (H) - has to be 3 points here. Failure to do so is simply not good enough. 

2. Chelsea (A) - We can get 3 points here. Would be disappointed if we didn't but a point could well be enough. We should not be getting beat though. 

3. Brighton (H) - A point would be decent. A win would be spectacular. Could be 0-0,could be 4-4,could be 0-3 could be 3-0.

Win the two games above though and this is essentially a free hit. 

Can't help but feeling Liverpool will drop points against Leicester or Villa, hence my thinking above. 

Edited by Scotty66

In the event that we got 5 points (ie a win and 2 draws), that would get us to 71 points. For us to NOT qualify for the CL in that scenario, Liverpool would have to win all their remaining games with a GD swing of at least 8 AND Man United would have to get 6+ points from their 3 games. 

Clearly that would be an excruciating final day at Chelsea but I would be hopeful we would get at least a win and 2 draws! 

Howay Leicester and Villa v Liverpool though!

38 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Good to see the Chelsea game getting mentioned as it seems to be forgotten we have a very winnable game on the final day. 

If we haven't top 4 sewn up by then I'd be looking at an away game at Chelsea on more hope than optimism, saying pressure is a privilege is one thing....

If we go to Chelsea on the last day needing a win and do it then Howe will be the manager of the season IMO. Cup final/stave off relegation atmosphere needed on Thursday.

We absolutely have to just enjoy these final games and appreciate what has been an absolutely amazing season. 

Howe and the players have performed miracles this season and we’re in Europe. 

Anything too negative really has no place in the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We absolutely have to just enjoy these final games and appreciate what has been an absolutely amazing season. 

Howe and the players have performed miracles this season and we’re in Europe. 

Anything too negative really has no place in the conversation. 

9 points ahead with 5 games to play, I don't think I could not see that as anything but a negative. I'm not going to play holy war either, but I will be massively disappointed. Hopefully not come to that though. 

I just think, massively disappointed in what? Yes, it’s better to be in the top 4 than not. But the players have played way beyond their level and we’d have absolutely nothing to complain about. 

Anyway, we’ll do it so it’s OK. 

2 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

No getting away from that fact we’ve had a brilliant season but finishing 5th now after the position we were in a few weeks ago would feel like a massive disappointment.

For me, it'd be like when I'm obsessed with a TV show but it ends badly, so I'll inevitably never re-watch that show again. If we finish 5th, the pain will be so strong that I'll try to forget it ever happened.... that'll be called 'wrong' but whatever, we all deal with things differently :lol: 

1 hour ago, Alberto2005 said:

At the very least we need to go into the last game with it in our own hands, going in to the last game all level or worse with Liverpool would be annoying.

It will be in our own hands if we beat Leicester. If we don’t beat Leicester we have bottled it anyway. 

The Brighton result matters in terms of momentum and confidence.  It’s not a free hit. 

32 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

9 points ahead with 5 games to play, I don't think I could not see that as anything but a negative. I'm not going to play holy war either, but I will be massively disappointed. Hopefully not come to that though. 

This much is obvious. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It will be in our own hands if we beat Leicester. If we don’t beat Leicester we have bottled it anyway. 

The Brighton result matters in terms of momentum and confidence.  It’s not a free hit. 

This much is obvious. 

I'd like at least a point advantage I've already decided Liverpool will beat Southampton 9-0.

Thinking about the Chelsea game, if it comes down to the final day, it will still be Lampard in charge and there's no way Eddie is getting outdone tactically you'd think. Plus they have nothing to play for, so the game is really there for the taking if we turn up as the team that we've consistently seen this season. I see it as the easier 3 points than the Brighton game at home.