The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Incredible. Can't believe we've got there so soon.

Fairly pointless star, but we have finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5th in the Premier League era, so if we do end up 4th this season, and is looking at this stage, then we will have finished in every position from 2nd to 5th twice.

The thought of this thread if Pope hadn’t made that save. One of the all time sucker punch defeats. An awful week and nervy final day on the cards.

But, unlike much of Newcastle United’s history, the negative outcome is left to what-ifs. The reality is one of celebration and achievement. There may be more successful seasons in the future, but I’m not sure I’ll ever enjoy one as much as this.

Die Meister

Die Besten

Les grandes equipes

The Champions

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Incredible. Can't believe we've got there so soon.

Fairly pointless star, but we have finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5th in the Premier League era, so if we do end up 4th this season, and is looking at this stage, then we will have finished in every position from 2nd to 5th twice.

Nah, I like it :)

In my time supporting NUFC, I’ve seen us finish in every position in the top division other than 1st (of course), 9th and 19th.  Mags my dad’s age would have seen us finish 9th and 19th.  

And anyone who has seen us finish 1st is a supercentenarian at this point

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Fantastic work by everyone at the club. That stat about the only non "Sky 6" clubs to qualify since 2006 (!!) being Leicester (once) and now us in 2022-23 should tell you what an achievement it is. When Wenger was still at Arsenal, mockers would joke about them getting the "fourth place trophy" as if mere CL qualification was some kind of wooden spoon for barely competitive clubs, but it's certainly not that now. The team likely to finish fifth and miss out outplayed Real Madrid in last year's CL final.

When Leicester won the league, a much bigger achievement of course, it cost them Kante who left immediately and nearly cost them Vardy had he pushed for that move to Arsenal that was on the table. We're unlikely to sell any key players, and will continue bolstering a squad that still has many Ashley-era players and had a now-closing Ashley-sized hole in youth development. Playing twice a week will bring pressure and new stresses and strains on the squad, but the club is moving in the right direction to deal with them. Let's hope FFP gives us enough wiggle room to consolidate and at least keep the door ajar. Pushing on further might be tricky until we're allowed to put more money in.

At the start of the season, I didn't think we'd finish Top 4 (despite finishing 21-22 with Top 4 form) because I didn't think a sustained challenge was possible with players on our wage structure. I'm sure there'll be a big margin of error in the data from Spotrac below, but it'll be more right than wrong. For us to do it with the players we have is a great testament to Eddie Howe and his staff. They've done an amazing job.

2023-05-23133605.thumb.jpg.db557d425b6cc32f29514facfefdea78.jpg

Like many others I was completely disengaged from NUFC. Season ticket jacked, didn’t watch on telly, barely even bothered to check the scores.

Being back in that ground in Oct 2021 was so emotional. But what I saw on the pitch was a shock, a disorganised unfit rabble. A shambles of a team.

To suggest we’d qualify for the Champs League the following season with many of those same players would have been utter madness.

What an immense achievement by everyone connected to NUFC. We’ve got our club back and it’s beautiful. 

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Like many others I was completely disengaged from NUFC. Season ticket jacked, didn’t watch on telly, barely even bothered to check the scores.

Being back in that ground in Oct 2021 was so emotional. But what I saw on the pitch was a shock, a disorganised unfit rabble. A shambles of a team.

To suggest we’d qualify for the Champs League the following season with many of those same players would have been utter madness.

What an immense achievement by everyone connected to NUFC. We’ve got our club back and it’s beautiful. 

...and that many of those players have been integral to what we've achieved. We were all bricking it about Longstaff, Willock, Joelinton being out last night. Jacob Murphy is now Mr Reliable. The way Emil Krafth filled in for Trips last season (easy to forget). These are players who not that long ago I'd have been quite happy to never see in a black and white shirt again, now they form the basis of a Champions League squad. I keep writing stuff like this out and I still haven't got my head around what has happened.

Friend just sent this.

'Liverpool’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League were effectively ended by the 1-1 draw at Anfield, where the referee John Brooks disallowed a Cody Gakpo goal for offside and showed the Villa defender Tyrone Mings only a yellow card for a high, studs-first foul on the Netherlands international.  The Liverpool manager was serving a touchline ban on Saturday as a consequence of his comments about the referee Paul Tierney after the 4-3 win against Tottenham last month. Brooks was the fourth official who Klopp ran up to when celebrating Diogo Jota’s 96th-minute winner that day.'

Just now, BonesJones said:

Friend just sent this.

'Liverpool’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League were effectively ended by the 1-1 draw at Anfield, where the referee John Brooks disallowed a Cody Gakpo goal for offside and showed the Villa defender Tyrone Mings only a yellow card for a high, studs-first foul on the Netherlands international.  The Liverpool manager was serving a touchline ban on Saturday as a consequence of his comments about the referee Paul Tierney after the 4-3 win against Tottenham last month. Brooks was the fourth official who Klopp ran up to when celebrating Diogo Jota’s 96th-minute winner that day.'

No mention of the 18 minutes of added time. 

Have Liverpool been in the top 4 at all this season?

As funny as it will be for them to miss out (and have Thursday night football all season), it would also be funny for Man U to miss out to a 110th minute goal for Liverpool meaning they are in the top 4 for 10 seconds all season and still qualify for the Champions League

9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would we say this is the second best season on paper since 1969 then?

3rd/4th in the league and a Cup Final. I'd put the 95/6 season first for obvious reasons even though we lost the title, but I'd put it ahead of the 96/7 season because of how consistent we've been overall.

The Cup Final edges it ahead of the Sir Bobby top 4 finishes. 

93/94 was the best of the Keegan era for me, 01/02 Robson’s, and this is pretty much up there.  Would still go for 93/94 given two years earlier we were nearly relegated to the third division and possible bankruptcy, and no-one who wasn’t Stevie Charlton’s age had ever seen a finish that high.  This season is right up there, but many of us have seen this before - doesn’t make it any less great, but just slightly shaves a tiny bit of edge off.  So it might be my second favourite :) 

35 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Friend just sent this.

:lol: If they don't want any official Klopp's ever had a cowie-addled rant at ruining their games again they're welcome to be exclusively reffed by non-league lads going forward. At least until he runs through that lot and they need to start importing them. 

39 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Friend just sent this.

Reply with..

image.thumb.png.ffdc3d9c094d8a490f35cddd2b6d4959.png

What a season, absolutely sensational stuff. Qualifying for the Champions League with a game to spare is just the cherry on the cake.

Enjoy it lads, I can finally stop using the term "bed-wetters". Hideous stuff.