The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Inevitable of course. The fact the CPS said they dropped the case due to withdrawal of witnesses and "new evidence" means people can run riot with it, but you can't erase the pictures and voice recording.

His only saving grace is that he was 19/20 at the time. A kid. I was thinking the club would announce some sort of rehabilitation to help him but they can't do that either because he has committed no crime in the eyes of the law.

It's just a messy situation.

Wasn’t it a case of the key witness (her) not willing to testify and the case was dropped?

That isn’t the same as the law saying you didn’t do anything.

Not that it matters, anyone who heard the recording knows he did it. Anyone who has been in an abusive relationship knows he did it.

11 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Wasn’t it a case of the key witness (her) not willing to testify and the case was dropped?

That isn’t the same as the law saying you didn’t do anything.

Not that it matters, anyone who heard the recording knows he did it. Anyone who has been in an abusive relationship knows he did it.

Yes all the key witnesses withdrew but the CPS also said new evidence came to light as well. 

He did it, but them saying they dropped charges because new evidence came to light doesn't help matters. You know dickheads will jump all over that.

Edited by Froggy

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

McTominay and Sabitzer maybe looks stronger on paper than some midfields but it's lacking in so many areas, especially defensively. Casemiro and Eriksen instead is on a completely different level.

I reckon by the time the window closes our midfield 5 will be Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, McTominay and Amrabat. There was a strong chance of us selling McTominay but Mainoo getting injured will buy him another 6-12 months I'd say. 

Fred is certain to leave, and van de Beek will likely leave although I think Socieded have pulled out due to fitness concerns.

Obviously there's going to be rotation, but will Amrabat and Casemiro play together? Where does Mount fit in then with Fernandez having the offensive role? Do you think there will be games with Casemiro - Mount - Fernandez as the midfield, or is that too light?

15 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Obviously there's going to be rotation, but will Amrabat and Casemiro play together? Where does Mount fit in then with Fernandez having the offensive role? Do you think there will be games with Casemiro - Mount - Fernandez as the midfield, or is that too light?

I would think Casemiro, Mount and Bruno would be fine against most teams. Casemiro and Amrabat would likely play together against the likes of City.

Edited by Froggy

Greenwood not being a rapist is like Prince Andrew not being a nonce.

The issue with the law is that for one reason or another people with excess wealth can influence other people to withdraw charges and statements.

Man Utd are a club that have carefully cultivated their public imagine over the years and that is about to go out of the window.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The issue with the law is that for one reason or another people with excess wealth can influence other people to withdraw charges and statements.

Man Utd are a club that have carefully cultivated their public imagine over the years and that is about to go out of the window.

The reality is this won’t impact them at all as nobody actually really cares, rightfully or wrongly. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

The reality is this won’t impact them at all as nobody actually really cares, rightfully or wrongly. 

I think they will, to the point that I can see the atmosphere amongst opposition fans being so bad that he could easily be assaulted on the pitch if he scores and celebrates.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I think they will, to the point that I can see the atmosphere amongst opposition fans being so bad that he could easily be assaulted on the pitch if he scores and celebrates.

Ok, let’s see next season if either the bottom line or the league position is impacted. I understand the point your making and it should matter but the reality is it won’t. 

as @Kid Icaruspointed out on a totally unrelated subject nowadays people with authority /power are happy to just sit out the show storm because they know the righteous moral outrage will pass. 

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I agree, which is why I think if we do plan to keep him that we'll send him out on loan for a season. 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Inevitable of course. The fact the CPS said they dropped the case due to withdrawal of witnesses and "new evidence" means people can run riot with it, but you can't erase the pictures and voice recording.

His only saving grace is that he was 19/20 at the time. A kid. I was thinking the club would announce some sort of rehabilitation to help him but they can't do that either because he has committed no crime in the eyes of the law.

It's just a messy situation.

I dunno, I think there could be some mileage in this as an idea. I mean although there is no conviction, the recordings are in the public domain. Everyone knows he did it. The lad has to do something with his life going forwards, his profession is football so that would seem the obvious plan. But on the other hand it doesn't seem right to a lot of people that he just goes back to reap the benefits of such a lucrative profession as if nothing had happened. So if he's genuinely contrite for his actions (a big "if" in fairness) and wants to make amends then some sort of rehab to prevent a repeat would seem appropriate. Then maybe he could he do something to help the victims of domestic abuse, set up a foundation or commit to go around schools talking about the consequences of domestic violence or something, I dunno. I guess some might see that as hypocritical given what he's done but if there's an opportunity for him to use his profile to do some good out of it then he should be looking to take it.

Tbh it's something football as an industry should be doing more on in wider society- the figures for domestic violence arrests always spike on the days when/immediately after England get knocked out of a tournament.

33 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I wouldn’t say Man U have a squeaky clean public image.

Giggs shagging his sister in law and various other accusations

Rio on the gear

Scholes sucking his daughters toes

Rooney will shag anything with a pulse 

Ronaldo’s rape case 

And that’s just off the top of my head  

None of those is comparable to the depravity of what Greenwood was recorded doing but there’s been plenty of sordid stories about their club legends 

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 04/08/2023 at 08:53, bobbydazzla said:

I wouldn’t say Man U have a squeaky clean public image.

Giggs shagging his sister in law and various other accusations

Rio on the gear

Scholes sucking his daughters toes

Rooney will shag anything with a pulse 

Ronaldo’s rape case 

And that’s just off the top of my head  

None of those is comparable to the depravity of what Greenwood was recorded doing but there’s been plenty of sordid stories about their club legends 

Think Scholes is a bit unlucky to make it into that list mind ?

I mean it was proper fucking weird, granted, but hardly on the scale of the others listed.

Getting back to Top 4/5 ometer but....

No preseason or early season for Hojlund

No Nkunku for months. Even if Caicedo comes in, the whole thing will likely take time to settle. Time that Potter was not given.

Liverpool new midfield with no DM. The sweeper-up is the one you want to bed in first.

Kane finally off to Bayern, taking 25 goals with him. 

Villa with no Ramsey for a while and Buendia for longer.

We'll start without Willock. I love him, but he plays in a position where we have a lot of depth.

Not a bad place for us to be as things kick off. 

I’ll put this here now, as this thread is surviving last season and I think we’re aiming for sixth. The tracker takes into account the relative difficulty of games using the assumptions described in the hidden post below. 

Spoiler
On 22/06/2023 at 10:47, Coffee_Johnny said:

Assuming we are aiming for a top six season, then taking 6th as a minimum target, here is a way of gauging when we will, on average, pick-up the 61 points likely to be required (average for PL).

Categorising the teams (mainly on last season’s position) into four tiers and predicting we will pick-up (rounded-up) 9pts from T1 (all tiers ten games except 8 in Tier 1), 16 pts from Tier 2, 18pts from T3, and 19pts from T4 teams. 

Tier 1: 8 games 24 pts available, 9 predcited (1 win 2 draws 1 loss at H; 1 win 1 draw 2 losses Away = 5pts + 4 = 9pts). So, 1.25ppg at Home and 1.0ppg Away.

Man City

Arsenal

Man Utd

NUFC

Liverpool

Tier 2: 10 games 30 pts available, 16pts predicted (3 wins 1 draw 1 loss at Home; 2 wins, 0  draw, 3 losses Away =10 +6pts). So, 2.0ppg at Home  and 1.2 ppg Away

Brighton 

Aston Villa

Spurs

Brentford

Chelsea

Tier 3: 10 games 30 pts available, 18pts predicted (3 wins 1 draw 1 loss at H; 2 wins 2 draws 1 loss Away= 10+8pts). So, 2.0ppg at H ome and 1.6ppg Away.

Palace

Fulham

Wolves

West Ham

Bournemouh

Tier 4 10 games 30 pts available, 19pts predicted (3 wins and 2 draws at Home; 2 wins 2 draws 1 loss Away= 11+8pts) . So, 2.2ppg at H and 1.6ppg Away .

Forest

Everton

Burnley

Sheffield Utd

Luton 

Remember this is a prediction for 6th.  Taking into account the relative difficulty of games would mean the following pattern of picking up points at different stages of the season.  The average points per month for the top five is also shown, just using number of games per month. I'll correct this as the games inevitably get moved around. The points per match are just indicative, it’s the points per month which will show how on track we are. 

IMG_6968.thumb.jpeg.e10c98d8c1ceefb83ab102609ae77baa.jpeg

Howe basically admitted yesterday that top four was his aim. He certainly didn’t shy away from it as much as he usually would when asked about fans wanting another top four finish and a cup run, he said he wanted the same.

It’s fine to have lofty targets, it’s how people react if and when they aren’t met that’s the important thing.

I don't think Man Utd are all that either. Not convinced Onana is a huge upgrade on De Gea, Mount is a bit meh, and a lot of pressure on the new striker. Not saying we'll catch or stay ahead of these teams again but I'm not as intimidated by them as I was a few weeks ago maybe. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Howe basically admitted yesterday that top four was his aim. He certainly didn’t shy away from it as much as he usually would when asked about fans wanting another top four finish and a cup run, he said he wanted the same.

It’s fine to have lofty targets, it’s how people react if and when they aren’t met that’s the important thing.

That is my worry too. Would hate for Howe to be a victim of his own success amongst the thick cunt element of our fanbase.

I listened to a True Faith podcast at the start of the summer where Peter Silverstone and Eales said that regardless of where we finish this season, we are going to be in a better position next summer as a football club. 

25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think Man Utd are all that either. Not convinced Onana is a huge upgrade on De Gea, Mount is a bit meh, and a lot of pressure on the new striker. Not saying we'll catch or stay ahead of these teams again but I'm not as intimidated by them as I was a few weeks ago maybe. 

With Man Utd, it's less the players they buy and more the time they have with their top class manager. They'll be better with a pre season with more of 'his' players.