The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

5 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Would we rather 8th this season and fresh legs every week or 6th and Europa league?

6th please. Revenue matters. But as it’s  already been said, our trajectory is going upwards, it’s not always going to be linear. Europa would be an achievement, 8th would feel a disappointment but in reality from where we’ve come from over the last few seasons would be about right.

Being out of Europe is never the preference. You do what you can to adapt to the additional pressure and just hope the dice roll in your favour in terms of injuries and refereeing decisions. You also recalibrate your expectations in terms of the domestic campaign.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Being out of Europe is never the preference. You do what you can to adapt to the additional pressure and just hope the dice roll in your favour in terms of injuries and refereeing decisions. You also recalibrate your expectations in terms of the domestic campaign.

It was my preference for us this year. In a transitional season with a squad that needs rebooting I think it’s a great opportunity to reset. Of course we have significant revenue anyway, which gives us some flexibility. Just…can you imagine what sort of team we’d be putting out right now if we’d got into the Europa Conference or whatever it’s called.

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Would we rather 8th this season and fresh legs every week or 6th and Europa league?

Defintely 6th and EL. We need to learn how to attack multiple competitions and we need the increased revenue and exposure that multiple seasons in Europe brings.

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It was my preference for us this year. In a transitional season with a squad that needs rebooting I think it’s a great opportunity to reset. Of course we have significant revenue anyway, which gives us some flexibility. Just…can you imagine what sort of team we’d be putting out right now if we’d got into the Europa Conference or whatever it’s called.

Fair enough, I guess there are some circumstances. I'm just aching for NUFC to be in Europe.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Fair enough, I guess there are some circumstances. I'm just aching for NUFC to be in Europe.

Yeah it’s easy for me to be a bit more blasé after the last 15 years :lol:

24 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

True. But 2 seasons out of Europe would be a disaster. Which is why your net spend this season without CL football is the same as your net spend last season with CL football and higher than the previous 2 seasons.

We don't have that luxury and need European football to entice new signings.

25 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

Defintely 6th and EL. We need to learn how to attack multiple competitions and we need the increased revenue and exposure that multiple seasons in Europe brings.

Agreed.

Europa League is actually ideal for next season. For the reasons you've mentioned.  And it's another route to the CL and a decent chance of silverware.

I think we are too far behind 6th now. Looking at the fixtures I can see us being 10-12 points off 6th and in 10th spot after the Villa game.

Unless something remarkable happens this month I can't see us getting any higher than 8th. I think 8th-10th is our most likely finishing position which would be a little underwhelming. Unfortunately for a whole host of reasons we've gone backwards this season and other clubs have improved.

Don't finish anywhere below 10th; get the boys fit and start playing the football we've come to know and love under Howe. I want to see us playing disciplined in defense like last season, using our energy to bully teams in attack and if we're not ahead, fighting to keep the result. This nonsense of us being at 0-0 and collapsing away from home needs to stop. I want clean sheets again, gamesmanship to see out games, not every single team passing through our defense and finally, when we're attacking - stop taking ass shots and keep the ball. 

At this point I want to see us back to playing good football and seeing out matches. Where that ends up in the table is hopefully within 6-10 place. 

4 hours ago, Decky said:

I wouldn’t mind even the Conference League because we’d have a good chance of winning either. 

Out of curiosity I had a look at West Ham's route to the final:

Viborg (finished 4th in Denmark)

Anderlecht (11th in Belgium)

Silkeborg (9th in Denmark)

FCSB (2nd in Romania)

Larnaca (3rd in Cyprus)

Gent (5th in Belgium)

AZ (4th in Holland)

I was chuffed for them and Moyes because they're a great club and he's a bit of a legend but fuck, that's a load of nowt in front of them before facing admittedly pretty strong opposition in the final. Whoever is in that competition from the Prem should be favourites every time if that is anything to go by (which isn't a good thing tbf).

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I'll be disappointed if we don't get 7th at the very least, not going to lie.

I think 7th is a realistic target.

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Out of curiosity I had a look at West Ham's route to the final:

Viborg (finished 4th in Denmark)

Anderlecht (11th in Belgium)

Silkeborg (9th in Denmark)

FCSB (2nd in Romania)

Larnaca (3rd in Cyprus)

Gent (5th in Belgium)

AZ (4th in Holland)

I was chuffed for them and Moyes because they're a great club and he's a bit of a legend but fuck, that's a load of nowt in front of them before facing admittedly pretty strong opposition in the final. Whoever is in that competition from the Prem should be favourites every time if that is anything to go by (which isn't a good thing tbf).

I hope we win it, and genuinely couldn't give a fuck if we see off a load of dross on the way there. I just want to win something, and if it's another European trophy, then that's even better.

Finishing in the top four is very important, yes, of course, as is qualifying for Europe in any way, but I read some of our fans this year saying we needed to pretty much sit out the Conference by playing the kids, as it'd distract from us, err, qualifying for Europe this season.

FWIW this competition clearly wasn't intended to be won by English clubs or larger European clubs every year, but that's what is going to happen, I suspect.

Ok here’s another hypothetical..

Would you prefer 10th in the league and win the FA cup. Or we somehow mount a massive run of form in the league and finish 4th?

2 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Would you prefer 10th in the league and win the FA cup. Or we somehow mount a massive run of form in the league and finish 4th?

Win the FA cup by a distance 

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Win the FA Cup, 15 years from now finishing 4th will be a footnote, the trophy will go down in history

Top 4 is now off the cards but you can always count on other sides fucking things up. They can't all win.

Let's get our heads down, get players back, go on a run and see where the points take us.

2 hours ago, STM said:

Top 4 is now off the cards but you can always count on other sides fucking things up. They can't all win.

Let's get our heads down, get players back, go on a run and see where the points take us.

Yeah, it’s bizarre seeing people thinking 8th is your limit. Right now the league has a group of five, then a small gap, then a group of six. The top four are all still in Europe, teams outside that top 11 are taking points off everyone, and we’ve got the January transfer window. I still feel like anyone could make a run - good or bad.

People got far too anxious about the derby but that comes with the territory. It’s a reminder that you’re not far off last year - the line-up was very similar to the one that finished last season. The competition at the top is tougher than it was then…but it’s tougher for everyone. All it would take for you, or us, or even fucking Chelsea would be a good run and suddenly you’re two or three positions higher and looking at the teams above you.

I don’t think you’ll finish top four because you’re a long way behind and I expect at least two or three of the top four to go on a big winning streak. I think you’ve got every chance of finishing 6th at the very least though.

^ I think 5-9 is probably where we end up; and if I’m honest I’d be ok with that provided we start seeing us play our game and and keep our lads fit and get the injured ones back on the pitch. As many good memories we’ve had this season the biggest annoyance for me is I don’t actually think we’ve ever been able to give this season a proper go - missing Barnes, Willock particularly and of course Tonali. 

Ideal scenario is 5-7th place and an FA cup run to the end. 

Edited by Kanji