The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

They just looked the better side against the strongest XI in the world and were the better side against Arsenal. Spurs disaster aside I think they've turned a corner. And this is all without Nkunku who might make it back for us.

That's still one game. Brentford beat City twice last year. I am absolutely certain Chelsea will be nowhere near the top 4 this season. People think 18 months of rubbish form is just going to change suddenly. It's not, it's a process they going to have to go through. They'll do well at times, because they have a lot of great footballers, but they'll regularly underwhelm, because there are much bigger issues within the club.

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

How does a resurgent Chelsea change the calculus... They look, dare I say, a potential top 4 threat if they keep on their form

They have quality players in much bigger numbers so they can cover for injuries better than we can. They still don't look like they've found a consistent style of play though, wouldn't be surprised if they went on another bad run at some point.

32 minutes ago, TRon said:

They have quality players in much bigger numbers so they can cover for injuries better than we can. They still don't look like they've found a consistent style of play though, wouldn't be surprised if they went on another bad run at some point.

I think they have a consistent style of play. It just doesn't consistently work in terms of goals. They typically don't concede many, keep the ball a lot, don't create tons of chances and miss more chances than they should.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think they have a consistent style of play. It just doesn't consistently work in terms of goals. They typically don't concede many, keep the ball a lot, don't create tons of chances and miss more chances than they should.

As long as Jackson remains their primary striker they'll continue to miss chances.

Man U now ahead of us after winning 7 games against weaker opposition all by 1 goal is very annoying. 

Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit for grinding out victories but seems the fixture list has been much kinder to them - every defeat against anyone decent generally followed by an easy run of games.

At least their next three are tough (assuming we don't get more injuries in the meantime).

Edited by Ginola14

12 hours ago, Upthemags said:

How does a resurgent Chelsea change the calculus... They look, dare I say, a potential top 4 threat if they keep on their form

One thing I've remembered during this last year for us, is if you're top four or five, it's fucking difficult to stay there, and it's even more difficult to climb the league, because you've got almost no room whatsoever for duff results.

Chelsea are still way too inconsistent, and seem to have managed to combine spending half a billion with still having glaring holes in their squad, and nothing resembling a striker.

Ferguson has been like an evil ghost looming over every single manager since he fucked off. I totally get why they loved the bloke but he's that constant reminder of how good they used to be. Every time they concede or lose a big game the camera seems to cut to him looking furious that the current team aren't as good or successful as he and his team used to be 15 years ago. 

Fans watching get the "we used to win games like that under him" and "this would have never happened under Fergie" etc is always there. He's a constant, visual benchmark that makes every other subsequent Man U manager look bad

It's fucking brilliant 

1 hour ago, midds said:

Ferguson has been like an evil ghost looming over every single manager since he fucked off. I totally get why they loved the bloke but he's that constant reminder of how good they used to be. Every time they concede or lose a big game the camera seems to cut to him looking furious that the current team aren't as good or successful as he and his team used to be 15 years ago. 

Fans watching get the "we used to win games like that under him" and "this would have never happened under Fergie" etc is always there. He's a constant, visual benchmark that makes every other subsequent Man U manager look bad

It's fucking brilliant 

The ghost of Christmas past! 

like Jim Bowen constantly reminding them “here’s what you could have won”

Edited by PauloGeordio

He’s *the* symbol of something that will never happen again; in English football in all likelihood. In truth Ancelotti was the only man capable of following him and playing ‘that’ way and they should’ve appointed him the moment he left Madrid 8/9 years ago, but it didn’t happen. 

Edited by Ronaldo

12 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

He’s *the* symbol of something that will never happen again; in English football in all likelihood. In truth Ancelotti was the only man capable of following him and playing ‘that’ way and they should’ve appointed him the moment he left Madrid 8/9 years ago, but it didn’t happen. 

:howe:

• 2 weeks later...

If we come through this within touching distance by January, and we have a squad back, we could be very very dangerous in the second half of the season. Still think we need to manage expectations given our injuries but Eddie has a way of constantly outperforming, so who the fuck knas.

last time I had a look at the coefficients its not so great for England, 5th place worth CL thingy is very much in the balance right now.

Its a big fight between Spain, Germany, England because I dont think Italians will manage to go big in business end of season like last year (they had finalists in all big finals)

so far English clubs are having bit mediocre results, lots of unexpected bad results from Brighton in EL, for MU in CL struggling vs the likes of Galata, Copenhagen, us getting shafted with the group of death, Arsenal, Pool advancing but still had surprise losses to French clubs, so overall it could have been better but lots to play for in all series. once group stage is over and we see who is still alive we can see more clearly.

if MU and us getting only 4th in CL groups, thats a bit of a dent as others will really need to go really far.

but of course I only want 5th to be a CL place if its us on the 5th place, if its Spurs or MU fuck them ...

As I heard MU and Chelsea are both in bit of FFP risk if they dont get CL next season. pretty sure Chelsea in the shit anyway given their recent big spending with no CL this season.