The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Yes they are as I said. But we lost our heads and kept giving silly fouls away over and over again all over the pitch. 

That could have been a combination of fatigue, frustration & Arsenal are very good! I don’t think we lost our heads, we kept going trying to get a goal, if it wasn’t for woodwork and good saves it could have been a different result in our favour. Margins, very fine between 2 elite Premiership teams! 

Edited by PauloGeordio

If we draw it won’t be the end of the world but we will need 6 from 9 then, with 2 at home and 1 away. Stress ramps up. We just need 7 points lads. 7. And if Liverpool, Spurs, and Brighton drop anything it’s probably less. 

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

It doesn't really, plenty have said they could easily win all their remaining games and that's what they are doing. They've got history for it as well, in general when you have a team with so many good players, they might well win them all. The only way to discount them is for us to win our games.

I said they could win all of their games until the end of the season when they had 7 to go. Considering they only have 3 left, I expected them to look better than they have. They still look vulnerable at the back and have not clicked. I thought the quality of player, no other competitions and players back from injury would boost their level. But they've been much luckier than I expected they might need too.

I still expect them to win their remaining games but I wouldn't be surpised if they dropped points anywhere along the way. IMO it's been coming.

I also still expect us to get 7 points. I think we could get 8-10 realistically.

Can't wait for Leeds.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, Kanji said:

If we draw it won’t be the end of the world but we will need 6 from 9 then, with 2 at home and 1 away. Stress ramps up. We just need 7 points lads. 7. And if Liverpool, Spurs, and Brighton drop anything it’s probably less. 

The Brighton game is the one I fear the most. The most difficult team remaining, bad style match up. Beating Leeds would ease the pressure on that result.

Beating Leeds in the early kick-off ramps up the pressure on Man Utd. I don't think it adds pressure to Liverpool, they already know they need to win all remaining games.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I said they could win all of their games until the end of the season when they had 7 to go. Considering they only have 3 left, I expected them to look better than they have. They still look vulnerable at the back and have not clicked. I thought the quality of player, no other competitions and players back from injury would boost their level. But they've been much luckier than I expected they might need too.

I still expect them to win their remaining games but I wouldn't be surpised if they dropped points anywhere along the way. IMO it's been coming.

I also still expect us to get 7 points.

Can't wait for Leeds.

They could well come a cropper in the game against Villa, I expect them to win their other two. Regardless, Howe won't be looking at their results, or how badly or well they are playing, he'll assume they win them all. So it comes down to us winning two of our remaining four, and the Leeds game will definitely be one of those games he won't accept less than a win.

3 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

That could have been a combination of fatigue, frustration & Arsenal are very good! I don’t think we lost our heads, we kept going trying to get a goal, if it wasn’t for woodwork and good saves it could have been a different result in our favour. Margins, very fine between 2 elite Premiership teams! 

In my eyes there was too much frustration = losing our heads. We usually strong defensively all over the pitch but we went in to too many situations not even trying to win the ball fairly and by doing that we have away fouls left right and centre and giving them time and possession to reorganise again. I thought we were unlucky too, or perhaps a bit lacking in quality with our chances at times too. Frustrating it was. Arsenal are good mind, as said.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

The Brighton game is the one I fear the most. The most difficult team remaining, bad style match up. Beating Leeds would ease the pressure on that result.

Beating Leeds in the early kick-off ramps up the pressure on Man Utd. I don't think it adds pressure to Liverpool, they already know they need to win all remaining games.

For sure, but as I’ve said before Brighton aren’t invincible and have been on the end of some odd results last 10 or so. We’re at home under the lights versus them. 

Wow, Leicester are in really big trouble, and have Liverpool home and us away. 

Good chance they are going down

They really need a result at home to Liverpool

Edited by arnonel

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

They could well come a cropper in the game against Villa, I expect them to win their other two. Regardless, Howe won't be looking at their results, or how badly or well they are playing, he'll assume they win them all. So it comes down to us winning two of our remaining four, and the Leeds game will definitely be one of those games he won't accept less than a win.

They could drop points at Leicester. Leicester are legit awful but they are at a home and Liverpool haven’t been good.  

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They could drop points at Leicester. Leicester are legit awful but they are at a home and Liverpool haven’t been good.  

Aye, their past couple wins have been far from convincing. Fulham could have gotten a point if it wasn't for a pen. A pen which wasn't fully dubious, but dubious enough that if the ref hadn't given it on the field I don't think VAR would have suggested over-turning it. A Brentford side already on the beach also caused them some problems. Hopefully a Leicester fighting for their lives may be able to sneak a point. 

22 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Liverpool's away record is poor against bottom half teams, isn't it? It's a shame Leicester are so tragic defensively at the moment, I think they've got quite a few tools going forward that are a bad match for Liverpool's style.

Enough said. Only won 5 games away this season. 

3 of the away wins were against top 10 teams, so youre right. Very poor against bottom half.

Edited by Displayname

Anything's possible, but I would not be holding out much hope of Leicester stopping Liverpool or us tbh. They are definitely one of the two games I expect us to win along with Leeds, so I will assume Liverpool will win there as well. If they don't, Hallelujah.

It'd take a complete meltdown from players and staff to lose out on a top four spot now. Even if we end up having a complete meltdown and in fact lose all four remaining matches, even then what we already have might end up being enough depending on if the teams chasing us manage to get enough points to catch up. Brighton would have to essentially win all remaining five matches, Liverpool need 4 points from 9 possible to overtake us. If we win 1 out of 4 remaining matches, Liverpool then need 7 out of 9 possible points to overtake us. If we take 4 out of 12 remaining points, Liverpool need to win all three of their remaining matches to overtake us and Man Utd would need to get 7 points from 12 remaining to overtake us. As things stand, Brighton needs 11 out of 15 points to overtake us - and that is if we lose all four remaining matches. If we get only 4 points out of 12 remaining, they can't catch us.

It's almost impossible for us to screw up at this stage. 

The consensus seems to be Liverpool will win easily at Leicester whilst we are in for a hard game at Leeds, even though both them teams are as bad as each other with the exact same amount of points.

Edited by Geogaddi

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We should still win the game but Saturday is going to be disgusting. Low block, long balls, long throws, second balls, all with that tub of lard in the opposition dugout. 

It is but do Leeds have the personnel to make that work? They're not exactly blessed with big powerful players.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

It is but do Leeds have the personnel to make that work? They're not exactly blessed with big powerful players.

Don't think so but it's stressing me out a tad and I'm livid that it is. :lol: An early goal or two for us and we win comfortably. 

54 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

It'd take a complete meltdown from players and staff to lose out on a top four spot now. Even if we end up having a complete meltdown and in fact lose all four remaining matches, even then what we already have might end up being enough depending on if the teams chasing us manage to get enough points to catch up. Brighton would have to essentially win all remaining five matches, Liverpool need 4 points from 9 possible to overtake us. If we win 1 out of 4 remaining matches, Liverpool then need 7 out of 9 possible points to overtake us. If we take 4 out of 12 remaining points, Liverpool need to win all three of their remaining matches to overtake us and Man Utd would need to get 7 points from 12 remaining to overtake us. As things stand, Brighton needs 11 out of 15 points to overtake us - and that is if we lose all four remaining matches. If we get only 4 points out of 12 remaining, they can't catch us.

It's almost impossible for us to screw up at this stage. 

Nowt wrong with anything you've said except the last line which is an exaggeration. If Liverpool win their games, WDDL in our last 4 would see them above us.

Any win against Leeds is vital but a big win could see us put our GD out of reach (unless Southampton are already relegated by the last day which looks likely and completely rolled over for Livarpool, who we know are capable of cricket scores on their day too). Beating Leeds by any margin would be a bit deflating for Liverpool I feel, but especially if we can do it by a couple of goals. They already know they need to win their games, but if we draw or lose, it's a shot in the arm for them and Man U.

10 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Nowt wrong with anything you've said except the last line which is an exaggeration. If Liverpool win their games, WDDL in our last 4 would see them above us.

WDLL or WDDL is the same end result with regards to that, they'd have to win all three remaining games to overtake us. The point was that "only" WDLL would see them having to win all remaining three games to overtake us as our GD is superior. If we take 4 out of 12 remaining points (or 5 out of 12 remaining points as you say), they'd have to take 9 out of 9 points to overtake us. Meaning if they don't do that and take 7 out of 9 points for instance, if we take 4 out of 12 they'd be on equal points with us and we'd go to the CL on GD. If they were to win all their remaining three fixtures it wouldn't matter if we took 4 or 5 out of 12 points as then they'd have overtaken us anyhow, hence why I used 4 out of 12 points as the example of how "little" would be needed on our end to make them have to win all three of their fixtures.

Edited by Kaizero

I'm properly unsettled after Sunday's result and Liverpool's continue lucky streak. The wait for the Leeds match is bloody agony. Yes, Europa League would have been incredible prospect 8 months ago, but can only see it hindering current progress from a purely cost/benefit view. So many damn games for relative pittance.

10 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

I'm properly unsettled after Sunday's result and Liverpool's continue lucky streak. The wait for the Leeds match is bloody agony. Yes, Europa League would have been incredible prospect 8 months ago, but can only see it hindering current progress from a purely cost/benefit view. So many damn games for relative pittance.

Class from a fan perspective though, which is what it's all about. 

23 minutes ago, The Prophet said:
34 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Class from a fan perspective though, which is what it's all about. 

Definitely. I know the financial aspects of modern football are so pervasive that we have no choice but to clamour for Champions League football, but the Europa League is a fantastic competition. Once the (hypothetical) dust has settled on the (hypothetical) disappointment of missing-out on being Cannonfodder FC next season, we should absolutely embrace being in it.