The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

It's the third of the European Competitions, and no, it's not the Champions League, but fuck me, I fucking hope we win it.

As for the point someone made about yeah, at least you had to win something to win the Cup Winners' Cup, you also had to win your league to even get to play for the big trophy, but I don't see many people pointing that out about the Champions League these days.

If we do win the conf league, we can then spend the next 40 years going on about having won two European trophies, as much as we have done for the last 40 years about winning the last one.

Joking apart, I heard these same arguments from our fans about the Conference League. We haven't won anything for 28 years, and even then it was only the league cup, as was the last one before that. Yet the same fans who were belittling this competition are then happy to spend fucking hours agonising over qualifying for Europe in the first place, and reducing football to agonising about amortisation of player costs.

It's pretty amazing that any of our fans - or yours, for that matter - can engage in any turning up of the nose at a UEFA competition, given the fact we've both spent several decades staying as far away as possible from actually winning stuff, which is what I thought football was meant to be about.

People belittle the League Cup, too, but I was fucking gutted in 2020 and in 2010 when we lost two finals. It didn't feel pisspot walking out of Wembley having failed again.

Progression has to start somewhere, it's never going to start by getting into the Champions League / Europa League / Conference League every now and then but not actually ever winning anything. Look how much silverware the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Man City just hoover up like it's their day to day bread and butter. That's what we have to start to compete with. 

It won't happen but if Man United somehow finished 4th it would show how poor this league actually is in terms of quality and how badly injuries have fucked us this season.

Edited by Geogaddi

5 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

It won't happen but if Man United somehow finished 4th it would show how poor this league actually is in terms of quality and how badly injuries have fucked us this season.

I'm not sure how anyone could look at the PL and suggest it lacks quality. :lol:

It's got about 9 sides who would compete for titles in any other league in the world, given a good run.

It's just highly competitive and its as easy to lose half a dozen as it is to string a few wins together.

18 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Were this did come from? :D

7 minutes ago, wormy said:

God knows their formula and 'difficult' depends on what teams are playing for but I still have hope. 

Our hardest games are Spurs at home and Man U away. Maybe Brighton at home/Fulham away.

If we get it right tactically we can grind out 7th.

3 months ago I would have fancied us to win pretty much all them games barring Man United away, now when I look through them all Sheff United is the only one I am 100% confident on, mad how quickly it has all changed . 

Still all to play for when you look at the other teams fixtures.

Brighton still have to play the current top four, us, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Wolves still have to play the current top four and West Ham.

West Ham still have to play us, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves and are still in Europe.

Chelsea still have Arsenal, Man U, Brighton, Villa and West Ham.

7th is there for the taking, Brighton, WHU and Wolves all have horrific run ins and Chelsea's isn't much better. Five wins and a draw or two may actually be enough.....

On 22/03/2024 at 17:40, Geogaddi said:

3 months ago I would have fancied us to win pretty much all them games barring Man United away, now when I look through them all Sheff United is the only one I am 100% confident on, mad how quickly it has all changed . 

This....and even Sheff Utd I'd be suspect in given that we're NUFC.

Yeah, you just can't really look at any remaining games this season and think yeah, should definitely be 3 points there. Start of the season, or start of December, you look at the follow successive home fixtures:

Forest 

Man City

Luton

Bournemouth

And you'd think there would be half a chance for 10 points. Or if we lost to Man City, as most do, win the rest, or at the very worst, win 2 and draw 1, to pick up a minimum of 7 points. We couldn't win any of them and ended up with 2 points. 2 of the easiest games on paper of the 38 (in Luton and Forest at home), certainly both in the top 6 if you were putting all 38 fixtures in a list and ranking them. Now we have picked up some decent wins in that period, like Villa away, and you could perhaps argue the Forest away win almost negates the home loss, but with our injuries and inconsistency, there's literally no matches that look like bankers, perhaps Sheff U apart, as someone mentioned earlier.

Edited by Paullow

Took away the smaller fixtures just to look at the bigger games each team has left. Couldn't be bothered adding Wolves or Chelsea. Obviously we have our other handicaps to deal with but at least this favours us.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 170609.png

Edited by BonesJones

Tremendous set of results for us today. Everton, Fulham and Spurs to come before a two week break due to Man U being in the FA cup semis.

Ideally 7 pts from those three games, but even 4 or 5 wouldn't be a disaster.

May be a silly question but I was reading that there’s a chance the PL gets 5 champions league spots this season. Does that mean 6th and 7th will be in Europa? And 8th in conference? If a team already qualified for the CL wins the FA cup, what happens? 

id love us to save this cursed season by having Europa league football at st James’ next season. Would also help attract better players. Watching the Manchester United match closely today. Would be huge if they drop points here as we have 12 GD lead on them heading into the final 9 matches. 

5 minutes ago, Sufi said:

May be a silly question but I was reading that there’s a chance the PL gets 5 champions league spots this season. Does that mean 6th and 7th will be in Europa? And 8th in conference? If a team already qualified for the CL wins the FA cup, what happens? 

id love us to save this cursed season by having Europa league football at st James’ next season. Would also help attract better players. Watching the Manchester United match closely today. Would be huge if they drop points here as we have 12 GD lead on them heading into the final 9 matches. 

It's looking like that. Regarding the FA cup, I think only Chelsea winning it would change things. For example, if we finished 7th and Chelsea 8th or lower but won the cup, they'd get EL and we'd get the ECL spot.