The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

5 of the next 7 are away from home. Of those away trips the highest placed team we face is Brentford. 

Always deceiving when those lower teams are fighting for survival. It's a crapshoot! We just need to get back to what we were doing before the WC. Hopefully the international break will be good to recharge the squad.

Notts Forest (A)

*Off to Dubai during international break

Man Utd (H)

West Ham (A)

Brentford (A)

Villa (A)

Spurs (H)

Everton (A)

Southampton (H)

Arsenal (H)

Leeds (A)

Leicester (H)

Chelsea (A)

*Brighton (H) to fit somewhere in between all that.

Game by game of course so this Friday is important. Yes, we won yesterday so hopefully confidence and mood around the place has lifted. But it hasn't given me the feeling of being invincible or unbeatable that we had pre-world cup. Our goalscoring has been the obvious issue but the shaky defence has now got me nervous for our away games unlike previously. 

Win against Forest, win or draw against Man Utd, then that trio of away games after will determine our eventual finishing place. Pre-Che Adams goal at SJP, I would have been confident to keep cleans sheets in all those away games. 

Hopefully the Dubai warm weather training has a similar effect post the Saudi trip both last season.

Edited by nufcjb

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

three away games in a row is a bit brutal, how has that happened?

Was suspposed to be two. West Ham's one moved there as a result of the Queen's death postponing the fixture earlier.

Edited by nufcjb

14 hours ago, SteV said:

Would have been four if Spurs had made it to the FA Cup semis

Isn't there still some doubt with the exact date or time of the Spurs game ? Spurs progress in the FA cup was one reason for change but also Man Utd's progress in Europe was another. Buggered if I could work out why that should affect our game mind.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Isn't there still some doubt with the exact date or time of the Spurs game ? Spurs progress in the FA cup was one reason for change but also Man Utd's progress in Europe was another. Buggered if I could work out why that should affect our game mind.

Aye, .com probably have the best summary:

75553641-0102-4778-B7C1-FC82D978BB57.thumb.jpeg.19991587385bf689330cb8e957834584.jpeg

15 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Notts Forest (A)

*Off to Dubai during international break

Man Utd (H)

West Ham (A)

Brentford (A)

Villa (A)

Spurs (H)

Everton (A)

Southampton (H)

Arsenal (H)

Leeds (A)

Leicester (H)

Chelsea (A)

*Brighton (H) to fit somewhere in between all that.

Game by game of course so this Friday is important. Yes, we won yesterday so hopefully confidence and mood around the place has lifted. But it hasn't given me the feeling of being invincible or unbeatable that we had pre-world cup. Our goalscoring has been the obvious issue but the shaky defence has now got me nervous for our away games unlike previously. 

Win against Forest, win or draw against Man Utd, then that trio of away games after will determine our eventual finishing place. Pre-Che Adams goal at SJP, I would have been confident to keep cleans sheets in all those away games. 

Hopefully the Dubai warm weather training has a similar effect post the Saudi trip both last season.

Looking at that, I don't feel too bad about our prospects. Our away form isn't too shabby, and there were signs against Wolves that our mojo is coming back. Isak can play a big part in that, and we've still got Gordon to come later on. 

I think it's good that we have no other distractions other than trying to get into the Champions League. Most of the teams we face are under pressure with relegation fears, or have European or other cup commitments. Now that we've broken the winless run, I think we can relax a bit.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

We've got a tough run of fixtures like. 4 away games including Villa who are resurgent, Brentford who are having a reallly good season and Forest who are hard to beat at home. Man Utd and Spurs either side. 

None of those teams will look forward to playing us. Especially IF our mojo is indeed back! 

I think we will get a result on Friday, then Manu at home should be decisive… we really need to get some revenge there!

Tottenham and Manu are our main obstacles to CL.

Tottenham have some difficult games also, manu seem to have a slightly easier run

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There aren't really any properly bad teams this season TBH. It's really hard to pinpoint easy games. 

I think this could be why we see titles be won closer to 80 than 90+ points moving forward, and upper 60 points might be good enough for top 4 again. There's strength in depth right up and down the league with teams capable of beating anyone.

At this stage (GW 27):

1st had 66, this season they have 66,

2nd had 60, this season they have 61.

4th had 47, this season they have 48.

5th had had 45, this season they have 44.

10th had 33, this season they have 37. 

18th had 21, this season they have 24.

19th had 19, this season they have 23

20th had 17, this season they have 22.

There isn't a massive amount of difference, particularly at the top of the table. The most noticeable thing this season is the 10 point gap between 10th and 12th, with 5 points separating those 12th or lower. It suggests there is a drop off in the quality in the teams lacking quality, underperforming or being mismanaged to the rest of the league. 

I have us getting 18 more points, that gives us 62 and sees us finishing probably 5th/6th.

Crucially I leant on the negative side of results.

Spurs and Man United at home are massive. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Liverpool have looked poor defensively all season.

Spurs are Spurs.

We have a chance. I just don't think we're good enough.

Based on our squad, i'll be happy with 6th from here.

If we can hit another purple patch led by Isak..... we can do it man.

Definitely feels like cometh the hour with regards to Isak. 

If we can replicate Arsenal at home last year against spurs....

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I have us getting 18 more points, that gives us 62 and sees us finishing probably 5th/6th.

Crucially I leant on the negative side of results.

Spurs and Man United at home are massive. 

Brighton too, some massive home games ahead. 

Just now, STM said:

Definitely feels like cometh the hour with regards to Isak. 

If we can replicate Arsenal at home last year against spurs....

In that first half he gave us something different and new.

Throw in Gordon to the mix.

In that 5th season, geting in Cisse and HBA emerging really gave the team a new edge. I hope we can get something similar from here.