The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Seems funny to say this considering the massive difference in positions, but we've now gone past last season's total with 11 games to go. Remarkable that we even ended last season on 49 points as well considering where we were. 

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, not 100% similar, and Chelsea are in a worse situation than they were then, but they still have very talented players that could turn up at any time, probably more so now that they have taken action.

Similar energy on this thread back then:

Posted April 17, 2012

On 17/04/2012 at 09:33, nufc4eva said:

I don't get how Chelsea winning Champions League (Not going to happen) would prevent 6th going into europa. Surely they would take 4th place spot, 5th would take the spot and there would still be FA cup place? - is it not just substituting teams ? why would UEFA remove a europa place when we would then have less teams in europe?

They're not. This isn't happening.

Chelsea won't win the Champions League.

I don't think Chelsea shutting out Barca means they're going to win the Champions League. I'm slightly more worried about it now, but it won't happen.

I still think Barca will finish them off in them off in the 2nd leg, but even if Chelsea pull it off i reckon Madrid or Bayern would beat them in the final......

There was definitely a consensus that 'it was not going to happen', and was extremely unlikely, but it did. It's more matches this time, but still just 5 matches, and they've only 12/1, so not like some 50/1 no hoper.

I applaud the effort you've gone to digging through old threads, kudos for that. But I still don't think Chelsea are winning the Champions League this season nor are Man Utd winning the Europa either I wouldn't say.

Next 3 games are tough no doubt about it but if its disappointing for us we've a chance to make it right straight away by beating Spurs right after the 3 games. I'd take 5 points from the 3 and then a win vs Spurs right now but we could easily do better. 

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I applaud the effort you've gone to digging through old threads, kudos for that. But I still don't think Chelsea are winning the Champions League this season nor are Man Utd winning the Europa either I wouldn't say.

It didn't take too long, got lucky with my first page search of around 60 and worked from there - came across this fascinating looking thread as well on my first page search :lol:

Yeah, 5 points would be great. It would mean 2 more draws, but draws against the likes of City at home, Arsenal and Man Utd away, Brighton away, and one or two others are very much points gained, and if we were to draw at 2 of Villa, West Ham, and Brentford, and win the other, the same would apply there. At home to any of those sides would generally be considered 2 points dropped pre match.

I'm the most confident I've been all season that we'll do it. Yesterday was a must win game against a side who are now a top 4 rival at home and we won comfortably and should've scored more. Tottenham have been awful all season and yesterday has made me think we'll do the same to them when they come up here.

If Spurs fail to win tonight, Liverpool fail to win at Chelsea on Tuesday and we beat West Ham I'll be thinking that it's a cert.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'm the most confident I've been all season that we'll do it. Yesterday was a must win game against a side who are now a top 4 rival at home and we won comfortably and should've scored more. Tottenham have been awful all season and yesterday has made me think we'll do the same to them when they come up here.

If Spurs fail to win tonight, Liverpool fail to win at Chelsea on Tuesday and we beat West Ham I'll be thinking that it's a cert.

go on 

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't stop.

image.thumb.png.c607f5f9b955f3f7883f2dd5ad960bab.png

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Beat Spurs at home and Top 4 is ours. It's that simple for me really.

There's a lot of football to be played before that game. I'm not saying it's going to happen but if we didnt win any of our three away games the picture would look a lot different. Hopefully Everton beat Spurs tonight because that'd be class for us with Spurs having two home games after it.

Yeah, it would be surprising / disappointing if we only lost 3 games in 27 up until now, and then lost 3 in a row. I'm sure it won't happen, but individually we can very much lose each of the next 3, even something like 2 draws and a loss is not that unfeasible, but would obviously be a very poor return, and hopefully we get at least 4 points. 

I'm just going to take each game as it comes, and continue to hope that the others around us drop points to make the task easier for us. We are in a great position - not sure I've seen us as short as 1/2 before, but I'm still in the mindset of being 'fine with 6th' for this season.

The results have gone fantastic for us these past 3 weeks or so since the Wolves match - we have taken 9 points (from 3 games), Man Utd 1 (from 2), Spurs 4 (from 2, play tonight), Liverpool 0 (from 2), Brighton 5 (from 3), Brentford 5 (from 4), so we have gained on all of them, significantly in some cases, but that also shows that things can change quite quickly. Man Utd have gone from being supposedly in the title race to possibly outside the top 4 tonight in a few weeks.

On 05/03/2023 at 20:11, Heron said:

Apologies in advance if that rule about not putting fixture lists on here still exists but to my knowledge that's no longer a thing...

So I've been discussing with some friends about how good our season has been, and to compare had a brief review of our 96/97 season.

That season this was what we finished on:

P38

W19

D11

L8

GF 73

GA 40

GD 33

By comparison, this season, to date we have the following record:

P24

W10

D11

L3

GF 35

GA 17

GD 18

Looking at our remaining fixtures from what is certainly an (overly) optimistic point of view, I think there are 9 games that should be earmarked as entirely winnable:

Wolves (h)              

Nottingham Forest (a)

West Ham (a)        

Brentford (a)         

Aston Villa (a)

Everton (a)

Southampton (h)             

Leeds United(a)        

Leicester City (h)

Doing so would see us emulate that season, if not exceed it. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we will (for reference I see us potentially getting 24 points maximum) but even so, this has been a very admirable season thus far and can continue to be. It shows the gulf in class from the top sides compared to the rest of the division when comparing that season to this too. For example the 73 points that we obtained that season would probably see us finish 4th or 5th this season I suspect.

Anyways, just waffling, but think we should be incredibly pleased thus far and hopeful that we can see out a really progressive season.

Folk on social media seem fairly downbeat from what I've seen but based on the above there is no reason to be.

Wolves (h)    ️          

Nottingham Forest (a)   

---------------

ManUre

---------------

West Ham (a)        

Brentford (a)         

Aston Villa (a)

Everton (a)

Southampton (h)             

Leeds United(a)        

Leicester City (h)

1 ahead so far. This could well end up our most successful season ever in the PL, points wise...every game is vital. However, I'm 90% certain we'll get top 4 now.