Newcastle United 0-0 Leeds United (31/12/2022)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, David Edgar said:

I can't criticise the effort or approach.  I think a few players played below their best.  Trippier for one was awful at times with his final ball or set piece delivery.  We lack some quality, which was my main frustration.  And the referee got a lot wrong.  

I think we'd have been better with a proper left back out there as well.  Burn limited us.

Bruno was superb and was also playing against the referee.  Joelinton was solid as usual.  The back two and Pope were on it.  Think Almiron was shut out of the game.  Wood is Wood.  Willock ever frustrating with his play. 

I think that was the worst I've seen Bruno play to be honest.  Caught in possession many of times and the pace of the game took him by surprise.  He's brilliant though.

I'm happy enough with the performance, we can't win every game, not with this team at least.

While Longstaff and Wood's shortcomings are nothing new, such continued lack of conviction in front of goal is very disappointing, especially in a striker.

It felt like Trippier had countless opportunities from set pieces but I remember from my short playing career how much more difficult I found it to attack crosses in such conditions. 

Hopefully we have enough energy left to give Arsenal a game, although I think they'll have too much for us. 

Still, what an year we had! Thank you Eddie, the boys, the owners, the fans, every NUFC soul! More of the same next year and let's hope for a healthy year and also peace in Ukraine.

39 minutes ago, Rod said:

I think that was the worst I've seen Bruno play to be honest.  Caught in possession many of times and the pace of the game took him by surprise.  He's brilliant though.

You mustn’t have seen Brighton away then. That was, by far, his worst game in a NUFC shirt imho. 

Enough with the doom and gloom, on another day we could have walloped Leeds!

Other than the lack of finishing, in the second half we played well, we created a lot of chances, but luck deserted us!

You get games like that, Leeds did what they had to do, they really frustrated us, that's football and let's not forget the 20% possession and backs to the wall of the Newcastle of old!

Two points dropped is a real shame, but a draws a draw and other than that the team played canny in my humble opinion!

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Probably mentioned but our reaction to Leeds' time wasting was shite like, we allowed them to waste nearly 90 seconds and Meslier to walk away with a massive grin on his face.

Wish we had the same ref as the Liverpool game; we’d still be playing now.

10 hours ago, Slim said:

Atmosphere was canny shit today.  Well played to the Leeds fans.

With the exception of the man city game, it has been all season tbh. Even 4 nil up against villa there was complete silence. 

Which is a bit frustrating considering how much St James' was rocking when our backs were against the wall last season.

It feels like people are already turning up to be "entertained", which doesn't bode well for subsequent seasons. 

3 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

With the exception of the man city game, it has been all season tbh. Even 4 nil up against villa there was complete silence. 

Which is a bit frustrating considering how much St James' was rocking when our backs were against the wall last season.

It feels like people are already turning up to be "entertained", which doesn't bode well for subsequent seasons. 

Villa atmosphere was really good I thought. Tbf the atmosphere at Bournemouth and Palace home games I went to wasn't great.

FWIW, the chants didn’t carry that well on the TV and there were large spells of silence or hearing the Leeds fans. But when we were putting the pressure on and winning corners or after yet another chance. The commentators were audibly raising their voice over the crowd and mentioning how loud it was getting. 

1 minute ago, samptime29 said:

Villa atmosphere was really good I thought. Tbf the atmosphere at Bournemouth and Palace home games I went to wasn't great.

Yeah, I was at the Villa game. Was decent enough. I do think there is something in it about being entertained or expecting to win. My own expectation levels have gone up massively, without really realising it. I had to check myself yesterday after being so angry and annoyed at the result. 

It is almost as if we are now only going to be up it for it, playing teams in and around us in the league. Whereas before, every game seemed massive in our bid to stay up and the wins felt like a novelty. 

10 hours ago, Minhosa said:

I thought Howe missed a trick in not hooking Longstaff with 10-12 to go to bring young Anderson on the pitch as a bit of an unknown/wildcard option as Leeds had given up leaving their half pretty much by that point. 

Anderson will surely be out on loan this month ?

Caught up on the extended highlights this morning. Difficult to feel too disheartened, we were all over them; chance after chance after chance. The reel didn't even include a couple of late ones. 

It was a performance not far away from our usual selves, just lacked the finish. 

Fuck knows how that wasn't a pen on Schar ffs. Defender absolutely nowhere near the ball. 

10 hours ago, Slim said:

Atmosphere was canny shit today.  Well played to the Leeds fans.

Clearly depends where you sit. Hardly heard a peep from the Leeds lot the entire game. Couple of Marching On’s whereas Gallowgate corner was fairly lively.

Piss poor round us at the back of the Gallowgate and it’s usually decent, there were only a handful of moments where people seemed to fully engage with what was happening on the pitch.

SJP just isn’t conducive to a sustained atmosphere in its current guise, no singing end and poor acoustics from the redevelopment.

You’ll always get the odd game where it’s rocking but that’s usually due to the occasion or what’s happening on pitch. For all Wor Flags has improved the match day experience, it doesn’t replace constant ongoing vocal backing during the game.

The only thing that will improve the current atmosphere is safe standing during the summer and using it as an opportunity to get 5k fans who want to stand and sing together.

52 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

FWIW, the chants didn’t carry that well on the TV and there were large spells of silence or hearing the Leeds fans. But when we were putting the pressure on and winning corners or after yet another chance. The commentators were audibly raising their voice over the crowd and mentioning how loud it was getting. 

I feel like I say this to mates all of the time, there's nowt like a sense of injustice to get SJP going.  

It's usually at its most intense after a couple of shit decisions from the officials.... happened again yesterday. 

There is one angle that makes it look nailed on. But Schar looked like he chucked himself to the floor in real time. 

The use of VAR seems to change on a monthly basis. But I would rather there is a higher threshold. So understand why it wasn’t given. 

That is assuming refs start making decisions again and then use VAR to check. As opposed to the other way round. Which is how it seems now, a lot of the time. 

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I saw the Schar penalty shout in the ground and just seen it back on the highlights and neither time I've been convinced it was a penalty. Maybe I need to see it from a better angle

There is one that shows he is tripped.  It isn't the arm/body contact to look for.