Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

46 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Sounds like there’s more to this story than has been told. Sheff Wed actually voluntarily reduced the capacity until investigation complete. They haven’t been forced to. Sounds like Craig Hope’s story was misleading.

Not really, quite a normal reaction if you've messed up to seek to immediately volunteer a remedy before something is imposed and before you can put any measures in place to counter what might be coming. They will now be trying to do the latter before trying to seek agreement from the Council SAG to go back to full capacity. 

Reaction from Sheff Weds fans has been insane, can't go into detail but some of the first hand accounts that were sent in were harrowing, and all of these were sent onto the club and SWFC etc. SWFC didn't really want to know and have tried to do and say as little as possible throughout this process. It's an old ground, I'm sure with better crown management it could be okay, other grounds are like this, Elland Road and Turf Moor in particular. 

21 minutes ago, Greg said:

Not really, quite a normal reaction if you've messed up to seek to immediately volunteer a remedy before something is imposed and before you can put any measures in place to counter what might be coming. They will now be trying to do the latter before trying to seek agreement from the Council SAG to go back to full capacity. 

Reaction from Sheff Weds fans has been insane, can't go into detail but some of the first hand accounts that were sent in were harrowing, and all of these were sent onto the club and SWFC etc. SWFC didn't really want to know and have tried to do and say as little as possible throughout this process. It's an old ground, I'm sure with better crown management it could be okay, other grounds are like this, Elland Road and Turf Moor in particular. 

CH narrative was they tried to hide issues and now been forced to reduce the capacity. The way I’m reading the latest from the new statement this morning was they had volunteered to reduce the capacity.

Have they volunteered or been forced to reduce capacity of the away fans?

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

CH narrative was they tried to hide issues and now been forced to reduce the capacity. The way I’m reading the latest from the new statement this morning was they had volunteered to reduce the capacity.

Have they volunteered or been forced to reduce capacity of the away fans?

In public they've tried to hide everything. 

There's been an ongoing investigation by the local council that is responsible for the safety certificate at the stadium - as part of that process the Trust provided evidence of eye witness accounts - and during that process SWFC decided to reduce the capacity before any formal decision or imposition was made - effectively agreeing the stadium as was for our game was unsafe. They will now go through a process to try and put place relevant measures to ensure it is safe, and once they are in place will seek agreement from the council to go back to full capacity. 

So they did volunteer 👍🏻🙂 That’s all I wanted to know. Reporting they were forced to is a different narrative. Agreeing to do so covers them for anything that were to happen whilst investigation took place. It shouldn’t be seen as an admission of guilt though and thrown back at them.

Im sure there has been some underhand things going on and the club and NUST have to be commended in the role they played but I wish reporters would just report the facts. 

Will be interesting to see if the reduction in capacity remains in place. Wouldn’t be surprised if it returns come next season.

Sheffield Wednesday have remarkably CHALLENGED the capacity reduction order placed on them at Hillsborough's Leppings Lane end after safety review into Newcastle fans feeling crushed during overcrowding at FA Cup tie

Council said the club had voluntarily reduced capacity while review undertaken

It also revealed discussion of a 'formal' reduction until the end of the season 

Without Newcastle, it is believed the findings would not have been made public 

By CRAIG HOPE and IAN HERBERT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 15 March 2023 | UPDATED: 22:33, 15 March 2023

Sheffield Wednesday have challenged the stadium capacity reduction imposed on them after a safety review heard of overcrowding.

Remarkably, the club have indicated that the 1,000 reduction in fans allowed inside Hillsborough's Leppings Lane end — imposed after Newcastle fans had to carry children on their shoulders from a crowded concourse at an FA Cup tie on January 7 — was not something they were willing to introduce.

Their declaration came after Sheffield City Council issued a statement saying the club had voluntarily reduced the Leppings Lane capacity while the review was undertaken. 

The council also revealed there had been discussion of a 'formal' reduction until the end of the season.

The club and council chose not to disclose this until a request was made by Newcastle and the findings — with 15 recommendations to improve supporter safety — were returned by the council's Freedom of Information officer and published on Monday. 

Without Newcastle, it is believed the findings would not have been made public

Prior to Newcastle revealing the findings, Sportsmail made requests for the details but were ignored. 

Without Newcastle, it is believed the findings would not have been made public.

Sheffield City Council confirmed the Owls had challenged the ruling.

The authority's Richard Eyre said: 'Although there was no immediate recommendation to do so, the club voluntarily offered to reduce capacity. 

'The council agreed this was the right thing to do prior to a robust review and since then the request has become a formal requirement.'

27 minutes ago, LFEE said:

So they did volunteer 👍🏻🙂 That’s all I wanted to know. Reporting they were forced to is a different narrative. Agreeing to do so covers them for anything that were to happen whilst investigation took place. It shouldn’t be seen as an admission of guilt though and thrown back at them.

Im sure there has been some underhand things going on and the club and NUST have to be commended in the role they played but I wish reporters would just report the facts. 

Will be interesting to see if the reduction in capacity remains in place. Wouldn’t be surprised if it returns come next season.

They volunteered in the knowledge that they would be forced if they didn’t 

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Craig Hope is, and always has been an attention-seeking whopper. He's stirred this up for clicks.

That said, the reaction of their fans on Twitter especially has been ridiculous. As soon as anything broke back in January they to a man have held the narrative that the fans made it up because we got beat and if not then it was our fans fault anyway. There's a massive denial culture there and they're more than happy to use the "disrespect to the 97" line to silence criticism of their club despite the Hillsborough families themselves expressing outrage that the stand is still up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quite fitting that the last update on this thread was on March 16th, the day before their draw against Bolton, and the first of a 6 match winless run.

2069882077_sheffwed1.thumb.png.b11a985f3f159bb3000b0205c87de26e.png

617057652_sheffwed2.thumb.png.721185055c010a74f6a15ab74940c0c0.png

In the past 3 weeks, Plymouth and Ipswich have both won their 3 league matches, whereas Sheff Wed have played 6 matches and only gained 4 points. They've gone from being 5 points clear of 3rd with 2 games in hand, to outside the automatics, but played a game more. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Quite fitting that the last update on this thread was on March 16th, the day before their draw against Bolton, and the first of a 6 match winless run.

In the past 3 weeks, Plymouth and Ipswich have both won their 3 league matches, whereas Sheff Wed have played 6 matches and only gained 4 points. They've gone from being 5 points clear of 3rd with 2 games in hand, to outside the automatics, but played a game more. Crazy.

Good, fuck them. 

Will probably find a way of blaming NUFC for their bottle job the way they blamed us for their stadium being a death trap. 

I like them as a club but aye, fuck them. Plymouth are a decent club, as are Ipswich. 

Edited by Danh1

On 07/04/2023 at 23:37, Paullow said:

Want It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

• 3 weeks later...

I actually like them, they are a historic club and shouldn’t be where they are.

I’d much rather have them in the Premier League over say Bournemouth, or Fulham.

I hope they win the play offs to be honest.

The way their fans took it so personally about the safety concerns is weird though. Their stadium does need improving, you can’t not acknowledge that. The sooner they get back towards the Premier League, the sooner they will be able to do just that.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

I’d much rather have them in the Premier League over say Bournemouth, or Fulham.

The way their fans took it so personally about the safety concerns is weird though. Their stadium does need improving, you can’t not acknowledge that. The sooner they get back towards the Premier League, the sooner they will be able to do just that.

This...great club and fans. Went to uni there and can't knock their support.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

I always have a bit of a soft spot for northern clubs tbh unless there is no point to them and they only get in the way between us and Durham.

4 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

This...great club and fans. Went to uni there and can't knock their support.

Yeah, I always had a soft spot for them.  Big club with a grand history who’ve been ludicrously underperforming (club-wise not team-wise) for over two decades.  They overreacted to the criticisms of ground safety, but that’s hardly vendetta-worthy. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I always have a bit of a soft spot for northern clubs tbh unless there is no point to them and they only get in the way between us and Durham.

Would like to have forest Derby sheff wed, sheff united etc in prem. More games with needle and passion.

2 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Would like to have forest Derby sheff wed, sheff united etc in prem. More games with needle and passion.

Me too. Good shout on Forest and Derby as well, they still seem within touching distance compared to Brighton or Southampton.

Cant shift the old mindset of a regular away fan back in the day favouring the nearest clubs with the best allocations. Both Sheffield's qualified on account of that. Like how both grounds look on TV.

Know the problems with HIllsbrough and presume the top of the away end is no different to when I was there in the 90s at Brammal Lane in that you cant see the touchline. So of course they scored a goal that day that was questionably over the line or not and wasn't able to pass judgement.

• 10 months later...