Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Definitely a player in there, holds onto the ball too long mind. A few times in the first half he dribbled inside then lost the ball or played an overly safe pass when he had easier options to pass to Willock or Bruno before the dribble.

I'm sure under Howe's tutelage he will improve, and will hopefully prove to at least be a useful player. However, I don't see anything to suggest he's going to evolve into a top four level premier league wide forward, which is the level we're aspiring to sustain and build upon. Can't help but feel, in that context, his signing will prove to be a miss just in terms of opportunity cost. Hope he proves me wrong

45 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He’s young and raw.  The price tag is for others to worry about.  He’s been bought with the next decade in mind, potentially.  A poor performance in the middle of a poor team performance doesn’t need undue criticism

I mean with FFP in mind the price tag is quite important though. I hope he comes good, but right now it doesnt look that great of a deal.

I think he'll improve and he is unlucky not to have 2 assists against West Ham and Liverpool at home. Also don't blame him for today any more than any else in the side as they were all as shit as each other.

But I didn't understand why we spent £40m on him and still don't.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Ridiculous targetting him when every one of them were wank today. Inevitable though.

Seems like him and Burn are the scapegoats recently. Sometimes Willock or Murphy as well, it’s sad.

He wasn't good today and I wouldn't single him out for one poor performance in a poor side, I just don't think he's shown any glimpses yet to make me think there's a player in there since we bought him. Let's see what Howe can do with him, but I'm not so sure.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Ridiculous targetting him when every one of them were wank today. Inevitable though.

I agree that everyone was wank. But when there is a chance to find players in the world for less money that can just step right in and improve the team (The Bruno G's, Botman's, Mitomas, Fergusons of the football world. And yes I know that Bruno G and Botman was ass today as stated before but talking about using 40 million quid better.)

Everybody wants him to succeed.  He’s had a slow start. We all hope he comes good. Many didn’t rate him before he joined and he’s done little to change their minds. 

I wanted him to start today. But tbh I think he’s better off the bench. He was up against a 37 year old former winger today and got nothing from him.  Young is someone he should look to emulate in his professionalism, dedication and application.  Never a world beater himself but was a really effective winger at his peak and has had a great ans long career at the highest levels. 

20 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

He wasn't good today and I wouldn't single him out for one poor performance in a poor side, I just don't think he's shown any glimpses yet to make me think there's a player in there since we bought him. Let's see what Howe can do with him, but I'm not so sure.

He's definitely shown glimpses mind. He looks tenacious and quick, has picked out a few decent passes which should have been converted. I haven't seen much from a shooting perspective though.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Definitely a player in there, holds onto the ball too long mind. A few times in the first half he dribbled inside then lost the ball or played an overly safe pass when he had easier options to pass to Willock or Bruno before the dribble.

I suspect he was nervous of making any mistakes today, but it meant he offered nothing. Needed to be braver with the ball, as Eddie would say.

34 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I'm sure under Howe's tutelage he will improve, and will hopefully prove to at least be a useful player. However, I don't see anything to suggest he's going to evolve into a top four level premier league wide forward, which is the level we're aspiring to sustain and build upon. Can't help but feel, in that context, his signing will prove to be a miss just in terms of opportunity cost. Hope he proves me wrong

Opportunity cost is a valid shout. That question ultimately boils down to what the club thinks it's got the room to do.

Has to start on the bench at the moment for me, but when he does play, it has to be from the right based on what I've seen. Pretty much all of his good work for us has come down that side.

It's easy to make glib comparisons. Some people might say that as a wide midfielder, he plays like Adam Armstrong stacked on the head of Shane Ferguson. Others might argue that all big clubs make signings of this ilk, pointing to Jack Rodwell at Manchester City or Ross Barkley at Chelsea. For my part though he reminds me of one of Bobby Robson's earliest signings, who arrived at Newcastle already having made quite a name for himself, by whom I mean none other than Daniel 'The Wolf' Cordone.

4 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

It's easy to make glib comparisons. Some people might say that as a wide midfielder, he plays like Adam Armstrong stacked on the head of Shane Ferguson. Others might argue that all big clubs make signings of this ilk, pointing to Jack Rodwell at Manchester City or Ross Barkley at Chelsea. For my part though he reminds me of one of Bobby Robson's earliest signings, who arrived at Newcastle already having made quite a name for himself, by whom I mean none other than Daniel 'The Wolf' Cordone.

I’m struggling to see the Cordone comparison tbf :) - completely different players, ages and price tags 

Just now, toon25 said:

Still very raw, essentially 

Yep, his price tag makes you think we were getting a star but he still needs a lot of development and learning.

IMO he’s at the impact sub stage of his career. He needs to develop further to be a regular starter. Luckily we have one of the best at getting more from players. 

6 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Yup, was shit today but gets a pass from me. I thought he’d start today but on the right and by starting both him, Murphy and Willock you’ve removed both natural partnerships on each side of the field which albeit probably didn’t make much difference given how poor we were but it probably didn’t help.  

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Yup, was shit today but gets a pass from me. I thought he’d start today but on the right and by starting both him, Murphy and Willock you’ve removed both natural partnerships on each side of the field which albeit probably didn’t make much difference given how poor we were but it probably didn’t help.  

I imagine he'd benefit more than most from some Trippier tutelage on the right side of the pitch.