Anthony Gordon

Jack27

On 24/04/2023 at 13:36, magvicar said:

As has been said. Gordon needs time to fully integrate.

You can clearly see he's got the ability and once coached and up to proper speed, the Eddie Howe way, I think we have a cracking player.

As long as he can learn from mistakes then the lad will be class.

Only time will tell on this but we have to remember, not all signings will hit the ground running and sometimes the odd signing will simply fail to make the transition into a set up like we have at Newcastle.

All players get backed by me until they show something that makes me change my mind.

Nail on head. Eddie will improve  him as he has Joelinton, Almiron, Schar, Longstaff, Murphy etc.

Best performance for us, he was passing and moving to receive 1-2s and looked electric and direct. He is very good at passing to feet first time when under pressure when receiving the ball. Just needs to keep his head up a bit more to prevent himself running into dead-ends when he's progressing with the ball.

I'd still like him to move more off-the-ball, it looks like he's used to being the ball-carrier and picking it up deep and carrying it up the pitch, but we don't really play like that. Need him to make those runs in behind that Joelinton has quickly become known for.

Actually thought he looked good when he came on. Everton were beaten by that point though.

Still, he looked dangerous and very positive with the ball.

Glad he got that appearance out of the way too.

I'm getting more familiar with his game.

He's not much of a dribbler 1v1. When playing on the left he can eat up ground but when square with a defender, he looks to cut in and pass it backwards. He's not confident in his ability to beat a man 1v1. Which is why I think he played most of his minutes on the right for Everton. He can keep running in straightish lines on the outside and get a cross in.

One thing he doesn't often do. Is try some slick movement when on the turn. He got the ball once on the edge of the area with his back to goal, I would've liked to see him try and jink his way around the defender but he immediately passed the ball back to midfield. He's a bit 1-dimensional to defend against.

What a do like about his game is his quick passing and moving. He'll not beat a man 1v1 but he'll pass it, keep going and collect it back in space. He's too quick to be caught when the pass is measured well. The game is a bit open then and then he can cause some damage.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm getting more familiar with his game.

He's not much of a dribbler 1v1. When playing on the left he can eat up ground but when square with a defender, he looks to cut in and pass it backwards. He's not confident in his ability to beat a man 1v1. Which is why I think he played most of his minutes on the right for Everton. He can keep running in straightish lines on the outside and get a cross in.

One thing he doesn't often do. Is try some slick movement when on the turn. He got the ball once on the edge of the area with his back to goal, I would've liked to see him try and jink his way around the defender but he immediately passed the ball back to midfield. He's a bit 1-dimensional to defend against.

What a do like about his game is his quick passing and moving. He'll not beat a man 1v1 but he'll pass it, keep going and collect it back in space. He's too quick to be caught when the pass is measured well. The game is a bit open then and then he can cause some damage.

Great break down and I agree.

He's a very intelligent player actually, in the sense that he is more of a pass and move player. Plays with his head up.

He is a threat as a runner when he is played into space and he can then just turn the after burners on.

I think he's going to develop into a really good player, especially with better players coming in, and in particular with a full back that supports him and overlaps more on the left side when he plays there, like Trippier does with Almiron on the right.

Edited by KaKa

If one thing we've all learnt from this season (and last season also) is not to be too quick to write off any player. 

He'll be invaluable next season with his ability to adapt to different positions and systems.

20 hours ago, Mazzy said:

If one thing we've all learnt from this season (and last season also) is not to be too quick to write off any player. 

He'll be invaluable next season with his ability to adapt to different positions and systems.

:thup:

Given we’re now one of Europe’s elite, we may have to get used to the concept that most signings will be brought in and not immediately waltz into the first team and run the show. The squad/system is the priority, and everyone we bring onboard is going to require complete indoctrination. 

… Unless we sign Haaland or Mbappe or someone. 

7 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

:thup:

Given we’re now one of Europe’s elite, we may have to get used to the concept that most signings will be brought in and not immediately waltz into the first team and run the show. The squad/system is the priority, and everyone we bring onboard is going to require complete indoctrination. 

… Unless we sign Haaland or Mbappe or someone. 

This actually a very good point re: Gordon. 

He's left a team mired in relegation trouble and joined one fit and firing. We saw the inverse of this last season when Bruno arrived from a better team and joined one that had struggled. I still Gordon gets a goal or assist before the season is out, but what we're also seeing is a change in club mentality. Under Ashley, you never knew when and to what extent investment would be made in the squad (bar when we were firmly in the shit, the cretin) and so that built an expectation that a new face had to hit the ground running. 

Now we're workin with a more long-term strategy in mind, especially when it comes to players 24 and under.